Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 7:39:34 PM EDT
Sorry -- I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but here goes again: assuming a "normal" gas system configuration (e.g., size, tubing diameter, etc.), how close can the end of the barrel be to the port and still provide reliable function? I notice that none of the "dissipator" configurations actually tap the gas from the end of the handguard, but rather have a hidden block at about the same place as a mid-length. Can I cut down a 20" bbl. with normal handguard to, say, 18" and still be OK?

Thanks in Advance (an amazing board with tons of knowledge -- very useful for me.)

CS79
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Several custom shops cut down barrels to 18 inches without modifying the gas port length.

Im pretty sure its a safe bet it will work fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top