Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 9:32:05 AM EDT
Ok, after a 0% or 80% AR-15 is finished, how do I get it finished?  Does anyone recommend Brownell's  TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE?

What other kinds and brands of do-it-yourself finishing coats do you recommend?

Has anyone shipped their drilled/finished receiver to someone else to have it professionally coated and finished?  What are the legal implications for that since it's now a completed firearm?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Bead blast, anodize, then "paint" and bake
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone recommend Brownell's  TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE?
View Quote

I've done upper and lower receivers, receiver extensions, and lots of other parts with this finishing process.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone recommend Brownell's  TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE?
View Quote

I've done upper and lower receivers, receiver extensions, and lots of other parts with this finishing process.
View Quote

notack -

Does that Moly stuff hold up to the harsher cleaning solvents??? Like bore cleaner???
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Anodize! It is easier than you think. All you need is a battery charger, some battery acid and some dye.
http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/lower.shtml
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anodize! It is easier than you think. All you need is a battery charger, some battery acid and some dye.
View Quote

Speaking for myself, I had discounted anodizing because of the non-coloring process described at dropdbombnow's site...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bead blast, anodize, then "paint" and bake
View Quote

Roger that.

I tried dying mine black after anodizing.  The dye didn't set, for whatever reason.

I used flat black lacquer applied in multiple coats at 200-250 degrees F.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
For maximum wear resistance, nothing beats annodizing.  It coats the entire surface of the aluminum with aluminum oxide.  This is the stuff that sand paper is made of, very hard.

The alloy used in the cast parts will annodize, but will not take the dye.  So, just seal the annodizing in boiling water as per instructions, then put one of the bake on coatings and you are done.

John Norrells MolyCote is what I am used to using, and it works great.  It is solvent proof, I tested every solvent I could find.  An advantage of the spray and bake finishes is very easy touch-up, something you can not do with a dyed-annodized finish.  If you really use your weapon, it will get scratches and dings.

The forged and billet cut lowers will take the dye after annodizing.  Were I to build one of those, I would still use the spray and bake coating as a final finish for the corrosion resistance and ease in refinishing.

BTW, John Norrells instructions for the removal of his coatings list sand blasting as the only way to remove them, no solvent will do it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top