Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 9:34:32 AM EDT
Yesterday I put most of my lower together.  And thanks to a smokin' deal from the folks at Del-Ton at the Fayetteville, NC gunshow, I started to put an ACE AFX skeleton stock kit on it too.  (Now that I've met them...  Good People!)  My question is... It says to torque the buffer tube to about 35-39 ft lbs.  How do you do this?  My torque wrenches all have socket ends, nothing to grab a tube?  

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a 5/8" crows foot on your torque wrench or just estimate the torque with a normal open end wrench.  If your wrench is a foot long, pull 35-39 pounds.  If your wrench is 6" long, pull 70-78 pounds. Not a critical deal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Crows foot? Eh?

How important is it to have it torqued as opposed to just tighted down?  I've run into torque specs in the past that are absolutely ridiculous.  Leading to more than one heli-coil in the oil pan on an old motorcycle...  
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Without getting into a torque debate, I like the wrench I have.  It is a one tooth spanner with no handle, just a small extension with a hole for a breaker bar/torque wrench.  Can't remember where I got it now unfortunately.  It's about the size of your pointing finger when curled, and quite thick/HD.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never used a wrench to attach the buffer tube, I've always only hand tightened it.  Never had a problem either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I was looking at the assembly instructions last night and was going to ask exactly the same question.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
By hand with a crescent wrench, and one drop of purple Locktite ("service removable").  

Ditto with CAR tubes, but using the little CAR wrench.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top