Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2003 11:59:00 AM EDT
Want to build another AR15, this time in 9MM.  Need to know who makes a good kit.  Will go on Eagle lower (nothing better in my mind). Looking for reliable function.  Mag well inserts seem to be the biggest question, Colt type or ASA top drop-in type.  Don't know what mags work best so would like your opinion on mags which may decide the insert issue.  Give me the benefit of your experience.  Thanks in advance, John
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I myself have an RRA 9mm upper built on a Century lower with RRA parts kit and stock.  The parts-kit hammer had to be fitted to the lower, but the replacement 9mm hammer dropped right in.  I also had to file down the rear take-down lug on the upper to get it to fit the lower properly.  I'm sure it was the Century lower that was out of spec, but it was a lot easier to modify the upper lug than to try to mill out metal from the lower.

For the mag-block: it would seem that generally the ASA drop-in block is one of the best.  I, however, went the do-it-yourself route and bought a JRW two-piece block (no longer available) and then modified it to take sten mags.  The big advantage here being that I bought 20 sten mags for about the price of one Colt mag.  Granted, I did have to invest some time to modify the block and notch all the magazines, but what's a little sweat compared to a few hundred bucks in savings.

I've only put 100 rounds through the rifle so far, but it has performed perfectly.  While notching the sten mags, I would periodically stop and cycle five live rounds through the mag and they all fed and ejected just fine.

If you haven't already, check out the [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=15]Rimfire and Pistol Calibers[/url] forum for some great info.

Here's a pick of my finished project:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15227[/img]

LL
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top