Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 7:20:58 PM EDT
Hello, I just got back from the range with my latest build.
Colt M4 upper
Colt 1/7 14.5 in barrel w/ phantom
Colt Carbine Lower w/colt internals
VLtor Carbine Modstock
Arms Sir 50
Eotech 551 reve E
Surefire 900 W/ butler creek flip cover
Fobus grip
Dpms 4 rail gas block
Bushmaster front flip up sight
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pdee3d4e17ff53445efed10230d8d7ee7/fb30acf3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pdbd68f5159d021943952029e7547e123/fb30aaa1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p4af483f8ed6dff0bd51beed2c2af7ea5/fb30aa9c.jpg
Overall it shoots pretty well, and I shot about 1 moa groups with hot shot ss109. However, with 55 gr lake city my groups were about 4inches at 100yds.  I am concerned I made a mistake with barrel selection.  I chose the 1/7 to shoot a wide variety of ammo, but at work we shoot 55 gr qual ammo and 60Gr hornady tap duty ammo.  I am considering picking up a 14.5 bushy 1/9 barrel,  If my groups do not improve w/ different 55 gr ammo.  I did figure that due to barrel twist the  62 grain ss 109 would shoot reasonably better, however I didn't think the difference would be to that extent.  ANY opinions or input would be very helpful.  Thanks for listening to me ramble and take care, kenner
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you mention "qual" and "duty" ammo, I assume you're a member of an LE SWAT, or some similar such? In that case, I like your set-up! Me? I'm more the KISS type, but for your needs, it looks like you put a lot of thought into it, and it ought to serve you well. (hopefully, you'll never have to really find out, however)

btw: Since you DO mention "qual" and "duty" ammo as being two different types........who's the nimrod that came up with that little brainstorm? It takes about 3 brain cells to figure out that the ammo you practice with should be the ammo you use when it isn't just practice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't agree with you more Zardoz!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job.  Looks real nice!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a suggestion, I've found that a small piece of electrical tape, one or two layers thick, placed over the shell deflector's contact area will save the finish on your weapon. And it is not really visible if you trim it to size. It has worked for me on four uppers and no one at the range has ever noticed the tape.  -------  I just thought that I'd pass it on to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW!!! Nice rifle.[:P]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since you mention "qual" and "duty" ammo, I assume you're a member of an LE SWAT, or some similar such?
btw: Since you DO mention "qual" and "duty" ammo as being two different types........who's the nimrod that came up with that little brainstorm?
View Quote

If that is stamped, you sure can't tell from the pictures!

The reason there is a range ammo and a duty ammo is the cost.  POI may be off slightly, but the distance in police shootings is well under 100 yards, and at the range, the difference is minor.  Much more important, is the amount of training the individual officer gets.  More ammo down range is a good thing, and at the prices of duty ammo, it isn't going to happen.  Duty ammo is fired at the range as well, but not as often.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Stickman, I agree that the more rounds down range the better. However, we currently have 150 Ar15 certified ofc's in which 3/4 only shoot the 300 rnds a year that are provided by the dept. The ammo provided consists of 300rnds of 55gr Win,  and 3 rnds (yes 3 rnds)of duty 60 gr. tap ammo.   We are currently allowed to use Bushy's, Colt's, and Armalites with a 1/9 or 1/7 barrel in 16 or 20 in. configurations.  As a result your point of impact will vary especially when you throw in different barrel twists on ofc's rifles.  The main reason to deploy a rifle is to provide ofc's with  the ability to widen the gap between the supect and the ofc., as well as increase ammunition capacity, and penetration as opposed to handguns.  As a result that small difference in point of impact could have a major effect on the outcome of a situation.  While I understand that everything is controlled via budget constraints I do believe that firearms training should be an exception to the rule. Anyway just my two cents.  Oh , by the way unfortunately the lower is stamped(wish it was a pre ban).
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]
kennerH,

You might want to read this: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]. I think you will be surprised at the .223's penetration compared to that of typical service handguns. It will also tell you basically anything you ever wanted to know about the .223 caliber.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey charging handle thanks for the link, I should have been more specific though, I was just talking about penetration in reference to body armor.  Excellent article though, I did learn a lot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
kennerh223,

How do you like the Modstock so far?  Comfortable to shoot?  How does it compare to the M4 stock?  Lighter or heavier?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey ky23, I believe the modstock was one of the best additions to the gun that I made.  When they first came out I was a little skeptical, but really liked the idea of additional battery storage.  Currently I have been to the range 3 times and shot approx 750 rnds with it, and I love it.  THe cheek weld is incredible and a nice change in comparison to  the std stock.  As far as weight I haven't really noticed to much of a difference, I don't know maybe it's just balancing out all the crap on the front of the rifle.  Overall I'm impressed and have been thinking about outfitting a couple of other rifles with them.  But, I may  wait to see if the price falls a little more.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top