Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 9:14:24 AM EDT
I have a question. I'm about to buy my first AR15 and have made the decision on everything except about wether or not to get a chrome lined barrel. It seems there are conflicting opinions as to the accuracy of chrome barrels. I would like to hear from AR owners as to the difference in accuracy of chrome versus non-chrome lined barrels, if any. TIA for the help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Two identical barrels...same mfg., same length, same twist...one chrome lined, the other plain jane. Difference in accuracy? I dunno. The consensus would be the non-chrome lined barrel would provide superior accuracy. Now, if I was building a match rifle or a 300 yd. prairie dog dispatcher, and looking for every edge I could get, I'd go with the unlined barrel. However, if I was building a GP rifle....maybe a little plinkin', little informal target, a couple of varmint hides on the barn door, I really don't think it matters. For most of us, "practical accuracy" is anything under 2 moa. Both chrome lined and unlined are certainly capable of that. I.D. what your need is, and base your choice on that. I can't be accused of excessive research on this subject, but most of what I have read states anywhere between 0 - and 3/4 moa difference. Not much impact out to 200 yards or so, IMO. Lots of other factors affecting accuracy aside from barrel lining. (I couldn't shoot well enough to prove a difference anyway.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The "quick" answer:

Chrome = more durability, easier cleaning
Non-Chrome = less expensive, slight accuracy edge
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything short of bench rest or if your shooting Master or High Master scores you won't notice the difference in accuracy.  I shot a Master score once with a rack grade M1A chrome lined barrel.  It was a home done free floated and glass bedded job but the barrel was stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a question. I'm about to buy my first AR15
View Quote

I think that's the operative phrase - "first AR15."  For your first rifle, definitely get a chrome-lined barrel.  You'll have fewer problems and better relibility, it will be far less finicky when it comes to ammo, and you'll spend more time shooting and less time trying to fix it.  Take it out and shoot the crap out of it, and when you've fired several thousand rounds through an AR, only then start thinking about building an exotic tack-driver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top