Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 5:39:50 AM EDT
after almost a year of saving and buying parts i now have my first complete ar15!!  i havent taken it out yet but i hope to this afternoon.
shes even more beautiful than i imagined...

the run down:
eagle arms lower
j&t lower parts kit
ACE complete stock kit
RRA midlength upper
ARMS #40
surefire G2(mount is in the mail)
fobus G27

ill post pics this evening

im thinking about just getting a cheap BSA red dot until i can afford an aimpoint ml2 and cantilever mount,  it looks naked w/o any optics.  im also considering a gg&g under rail adapter and a vertical grip but im not sure on that yet.  anything else i should get??

THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE FOR YOUR INVALUABLE ADVICE!!!!  COULDNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new baby!  Now, buy lots of ammo, and get a second job to pay for the next 3 lol.  

It sounds like you've got most of your bases covered...but you'll need some mags, obviously.  

The BSA should do fine 'til you can afford the high dollar stuff...I've got one on one of my rifles.  I've gone nuts lately trying to figure out whether to get an Eotech or an Aimpoint...then I realized, I can get BOTH lol...I've got 2 rifles that need the optics treatment, so, other than the fact that I'm broke, what's to stop me? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
ive been buying ammo and mags since before i even bought any real parts...but even doing that im still not stocked up enough.
so far ive got 8 mags, 1krds. of L.C. 600rds of the 55gr winchester, and 200rds of umc 55gr.  next week im ordering 500rds of igman and 500rds of wolf(ive got to just try it.) and im bidding on some mags on ebay.  i figure if i just buy one or two mags every other month ill have a few dozen in no time.  for ammo ive been getting most of it from sportsmans guide and doing the 4pay plan, good for being on a tight budget and the wife dosnt see me droping 170 bucks on "bullets".
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked the mags in the EE?
From what i have seen, you are going to get better mags and more trustworthy service here than on ebay.
my .02
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.fototime.com/{6DCE41A5-CAFA-46FB-BBE3-1B24D150CE87}/picture.JPG[/url]

had to link it, photo came out way too large.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you checked the mags in the EE?
From what i have seen, you are going to get better mags and more trustworthy service here than on ebay.
my .02
View Quote

I've bought mags from Ebay in the past and have not had one instance where they were mis-represented.  I've gotten NEW USGI for as low as $10 each off ebay.  Learn how to search, and check their feedback b4 you bid.  Just my .02 from my expierences...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
i finally got to take it out to the range today.  i broke it in for 60 rounds with the 1-2-5 method and then i shot it like normal.  300 rounds fired and zero malfunctions.  shes a keeper!!  [:D]  [:D]  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
David, darn fine looking job there. Glad to hear it's working well for you. Enjoy! If you ever need anything HOLLER, I'm just over the Big Mountains from you.

MM419

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Well done!  

That's about how long it took me to build my first FAL, and it provided more satisfaction than just buying a rifle off the rack.

I should have mine complete by the end of July.  So far I have an ASA lower with Bushy internals and an ACE stock.  I only need a Bushy varmint barrel that will be topped with a Tasco scope and ARMS #5 multibase and #21 STANAG rings.  

I know ASA has a bad rep, but it was an impulse buy that looks like it will work out.  I've already function tested the lower by attaching it to a buddy's heavy barrel DPMS upper.  It functioned great, but I'm going to  swap out the ACE stock, as it places all the weight forward on the rifle.  I'll put a weighted A2 stock on it and put the ACE on a future M4gery project.

Anyway, great job!

Jim
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks mm419,  we'll have to get together sometime and punch some paper.

hey omar my FAL is next!  i have an imbel kit under my bed that im slowly refinishing right now. the good thing is it wont cost nearly as much to finish as my AR did.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Be glad you got your kit, as they are getting in short supply, except for the $300 DSA STG ones.  I laid up four of the Imbels and three of the G1s about two years ago, and now I'm glad I did.  The DSA kits are worth the money, though.  I built one up for a co-worker, and it was one of the easiest builds yet.  

The only tool I consider absolutely necessary is the receiver wrench.  I got mine from DSA and its done ten rifles to date.  Everything else can be substituted or improvised.  You could even make a one time wrench out of maple if you have the dimensions, now that I think about it.    

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top