Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 10:06:57 PM EDT
I installed my first ARFX today and man are these things SUH-WEET!
I was a little worried having read a post here from someone who had trouble getting the foam pad over the buffer tube(pad got torn up and had to be replaced). The directions that came with it said to use something like WD40 but I didnt want to have my rifle stink like WD forever so I used PRESTONE SILICONE spray lube that I get at WALMART and it has a much less noticable odor. In fact, once the propellant evaporates there's no odor at all plus the slickness needed to help get the pad in place also goes away aftre a little bit(don't want the pad sliding around all the time).  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I had thought of that lol...mine was REAL tight.  I'm pretty sure the first batch of those was a little off spec; I doubt I'd have to pound a new one on now.  But you're right, they are sweet.  Too bad I'm too broke to afford another one...too many other things on my list...you know how it goes.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I just used liquid hand soap.A little on the tube and a little inside the foam. It went on real easy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I just used the lightest bit of vaseline (hey, no funny looks!) and mine slipped on with absolute ease.

But what is us with that sling swivel?  I've got a CQB sling for the receiver-mounted swivel, and when I drop the rifle, the stock hangs away from my chest (i.e. in the way bigtime) instead of flat against my chest.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I used soapy water, dipped the foam in it and applied some by hand to the buffer tube...no problems and no smell.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I used an air compressor to install and remove the foam pad. (trick learned from building bicycles in high school) Used an air nozzle to force air under the pad and expand it while I slid it on or off- leaves no residue and your pad is not glued on. Works perfect.

Jason
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top