Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 1:52:51 AM EDT
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here. This site was recomended to me by some guys from Frugal Squirrel's webpage.

I have a postban Colt AR with removable carry handle, I want to mount a scope to the flattop(ideally quick detach) which company makes a good mount that will allow me to clear the factory front sight? will a pair of high rings solve this problem? The scope I will be using is a Leupold vari-x II 3-9power. Will a high magnification scope make the front sight seem invisible if the scope does not totally clear it?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Code Red
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm using an Armalite 1-piece scope mount.  Puts the scope about 1/8" lower than the iron sights, and allows it to be mounted a little more forward than regular rings.  Best price I've seen is from [url=http://www.quanticoarms.com/armalite/armaliteParts.htm]Quantico  Arms[/url].

The Armalite mount has thumbscrews and returns to zero really well.  If you want faster detach then go with one of the throw-lever mounts from [url=http://www.armsmounts.com/list.html]ARMS[/url] like their #22 rings.

They say anything above about 4x makes the front sight invisible.  Might be a little bit of  a shadow, but only if you're looking for it.  I have a milled front sight on mine so no I don't see it.  If you're really concerned you can get one of the RRA or DPMS one-piece mounts.  They're about 3/8" higher than the Armalite and will put any shadow from the front sight lower in the scope's view.  (You lose some of the forward positioning though.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the info, I will probably try the rings with the lever release.

Code Red
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you can get the scope far enough forward with the rings on the receiver.  I don't know how long the eye-relief on the VX-II is, but apparently that's an issue with some scopes.  (FWIW, I didn't have any trouble with the Weaver V16 in rings on mine before I switched to the Armalite mount to get higher.)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top