Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 10:14:52 AM EDT
I currently own a Bushie varmint special (and am quite pleased), but I'm thinking of taking the next step and building my own this time.  I hear it's just about as cheap (or cheaper) to just buy a complete upper.  Is that right?  Let's assume I do.  Now I need a stripped lower and a lower parts kit, as well as a stock and grip.  Is that it?  

The last part of my question is about tools.  Assuming I buy a complete upper, will I need any special tools to put the lower together?

Thanks in advance...
Nick
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
you know you got a good lower.
why not just buy about 3 more uppers in different configurations?

i would get a shorty A2 upper with a ultra light barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
you could do like 308wood suggests, heck I did it too, but be warned....

if you have an upper sitting in the safe w/o a lower, it gets lonely... you'll be looking to get it a companion lower to keep harmony in your safe [:)]

If you want to build your own, I recommend you get a copy/download the manual for the AR's..

[url=http://www.ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf]TM 9-1005-319-23[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The J&T kits come with everything but the stripped lower and the upper is already assembled.  Getting the complete kit instead of just the upper only adds about $70 to the total.

If you just get an upper, you'll need to get a lower parts kit (which may or may not come with the pistol grip), the buttstock assembly (the buffer tube, buffer, spring, sling loop, etc. may be sold seperately)

As for lower receiver tools--  
I've found a lower receiver vise block to be useful.  If you're using a collapsible styly stock, you'd probably do well to invest the $6 in a Tele-Stock Wrench.  A crescent wrench will work just fine for a regular butstock.  Other than that, about the only special tool you'd need are 3/32 and 1/8 inch roll pin punches.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is a vice block just something that immitates a magazine that you can squeeze in a vice?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is a vice block just something that immitates a magazine that you can squeeze in a vice?
View Quote

Right, solid block of plastic milled to fit the magazine well, and mag release.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Right, solid block of plastic milled to fit the magazine well, and mag release.
View Quote

you can substitute a whittled piece of 2x4
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm... Machined block of plastic or whittled piece of 2x4.  I was thinking more along the line of 2x4.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
a cheapie gunshow mag filled with lead works well too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top