Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 6:06:17 PM EDT
i am a veteran AR rifleman and also an avid hunter of big game. i love the accuracy of my AR and the durability. i packed a m-4 carbine through the desert for several months, the harsh treatment she got was terrible, but never to misfire. the real question is about asembling a 308 AR. does it use a typical lower reciever such as the olympic arms prc3 multi caliber? i know that armalite ar 10 uses M14 mags. can someone inlighten me on the asembling. or even better has anyone put one together?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem that you run into is that regarding the price you pay for parts, you can buy the entire weapon built for a cheaper price.

Currently, the Armalite rifle are on top of the list due to using modified M-14 mags ($60), But the rifle is a tad spendy at around $1400.

The next choice, due only to the fact that it uses SR-25 mags for high caps ($120 each) is the DPMS for around $1000.

If you can get your hands on a Knight SR-25, the rifle is a keeper, but again, the price of the mags is what sets you back.

There is someone else who produces a 308, but it's not worth mentioning, so lets leave it at that.

To answer you question on the receivers, the 308 receiver and 223 receivers are different, due to the size of the mag (308 round will not fit into a AR-15 mag).

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Armalite used to sell their 10 lowers under the Eagle name but I don't see them in their catalog at their web site.  I forget how much they cost.  $250 comes to mind, about the same for an upper.  It will cost you as much or more to build your first but that's the way it goes with the AR15 too.  The first one actualy cost you more after considering the tools.  Also you can customize with the trigger and barrel you want and probably save a little over a high end match AR10 plus you'll know exactly how it goes together.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top