Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 9:36:59 PM EDT
Hello -

I am looking for some advice on building vs. buying a complete M4 upper. Is it smarter to just buy one complete (with barrel) -or- should I save a few bucks and buy the individual components and put it together myself?

Thanks!
Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I was pricing uppers and or parts on [url=http://www.adcofirearms.com/ar.cfm]ADCO's[/url] site.  The difference between purchasing a complete upper the way I want it and separate parts, a piece at a time came out to be the difference of just around $1.  That's not a big difference.  But then you have to factor in the shipping on each individual part, unless you order them at the same time. Plus the cost of an action block to hold the upper while installing and torquing the barrel, the tools necessary to accomplish said procedure; that takes the difference up around $100.  Then again, if you are like me, have more time than money, you might not care what the difference is and spread it out over a long period of time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to get more uppers in the future, go ahead a build.  The tools and stuff won't matter as much 4 uppers into the future.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much difference in cost without the added cost of the necessary tools like an action block for the vice, torque wrench (if you don't already have one), barrel wrench, etc. But you will have the experience of putting it together and also have the tools for the next one or if you have to take one apart.  I built my M4 both upper and lower from parts.  No problems at all.  Not that hard and it don't take long to assemble.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys. I would like to buy a 20" or longer barrel someday, so the equipment would be nice to have. Unfortunately, my wife would kill me with the stripped lower if I go out and spend 400+ on an upper right now - so I may have to piece it out over time.

oh well.....  [:(]

Thanks for the advice though!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top