Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2002 5:45:31 PM EDT
Hi, all new to this board, i live in comi kalifornia, and wanted to know if anyone in cali has built a 80% lower , and if this is legal in Scarfsville california. thank you
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an ATF agent - and they'd be the only ones who might give you an answer that might hold up in court.

You can not build a rifle that it would be illegal for you to own if you bought it from an FFL. The "AR Series" of rifles have been ban for a couple years now. Last year a challenge was made to the un-constitutionally vauge "series" with the courts demanding a clarification ... and we're still waiting.

It is my opinion that you would be able to manufacure a lower without a magazine well - a single shot rifle - which wouldn't be a semi-automatic. A nice lower for a .50 BMG upper that you can still buy for the time being.

DMPS and GoGoGadgets make a pump rifle, and a fixed 10 round magazine rifle that are offered for sale in California. Make a rifle along those lines might be legal too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It is my opinion that you would be able to manufacure a lower without a magazine well - a single shot rifle - which wouldn't be a semi-automatic. A nice lower for a .50 BMG upper that you can still buy for the time being.

PRK Evil Assault Weapons are semi-automatic and have a removeable magazine.  Making a non-semi or a rifle that lacks a removeable mag is OK as you've made a non-Evil Assault Weapon.  Internal mag capacity has to be 10 rounds or less.

-hanko

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a few people who duplicated the FAB-10 from a 0% forging. Myself included. If you can weld aluminum, then using an 80% lower should give you a head start. With the 80% lower, you probably will need to weld a plate to restrict the mag from coming out the bottom.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top