Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 11:28:16 AM EDT
I recently put a side sling swivel on my upper and wanted to remove the front sling swivel. How do I remove the front swivel rivot without marking up my upper. Thanks. Scott
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I took off an old beat up sling swivel, just the other day, to replace it with a new one. Simple. Take a 3/32" drill bit and drill out the center of the rivet on the side with the hole in the head. You don't need to go very deep, maybe 1/8" or less, then take a 1/16" punch and give the rivet a good tap from this same side. Pops right out. A small ball-end cutter in a Dremel tool would work also.

I put the new swivel on with a rolled pin.

HTH . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no need to drill the swivel rivet first, just tap it out with the appropriate  pin punch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, if you've got a big enough hammer and the "appropriate pin punch" (whatever that is), you probably could just "tap" the rivet out and be done with it. Of course you would also run the risk of breaking off one or both of the sling swivel "ears" if you failed to provide adequate support for them during the "tapping-out" process.

Center drilling the peened end of the rivet took me all of about thirty seconds. Time well invested, IMHO.

HTH . . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Been there-done that.Please support the rivet
ears the best you can--popsicle sticks stacked,
Nylon backer-block,whatever--but use something!
You can be faced with making-up new cuss words
when it breaks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. Scott
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top