User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2018 12:35:11 AM EDT
@FluffyTheCat

Fluffy, as we all know, is a genius and a Garand fanatic.  He's also on AR-15.com for a reason.  The AR is severely restricted in Canada, and it's even more difficult to build one there b/c you're shivering so badly.

He called me tonight to discuss an idea.  He's followed the Flat Spot lowers threads, but he doesn't weld.  He could braze, but he already solders.  What if Flat Spot lowers were cut from brass sheet rather than mild steel?  Clamp it up, heat it with a propane torch, weep in solder, and you're done.

I've emailed the Flat Spot to ask that very question, if they could do a sheet of brass lower flats, and ordered 2 more lowers to have on hand and answer any questions we might have about the flats themselves.  (Update - the Flat Spot won't do a run of brass flats.)

What questions do you have?  Suggestions?  Issues?  (Other than it'll be really heavy & beautiful).

https://www.theflatspot.net/ar-lower-flat.html

Previous ARFCOM build threads:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Steel-AR-flats-from-the-Flat-Spot/4-647105/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-I-welded-together-a-steel-receiver-from-theflatspot-net-Update-6-11-Paint-Job-on-page-3/4-648352/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Backbencher-s-Wedding-Giveaway-Build-update-5-4/4-712979/
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a reason the steel flats could not be silver soldered?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Is there a reason the steel flats could not be silver soldered?
View Quote
They can be, and someone here did a beautiful job with one of 'em.  I'll post the links to the prior Flat Spot threads tomorrow, including Raider14's SHTF 12lb steel buffer tube rifle.

Silver solder requires a good bit more heat than lead solder, however, and while brass might be more expensive than mild steel, not only would it look slick as hell, it might be even easier to put together.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag. This interests me as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  Why not aluminum?  6061 would work, and he can braze it.
Just an idea....
View Quote
The steel flats can, and have been brazed as is.  Fluffy would like to solder brass ones.  I haven't heard back from the Flat Spot, but it's early.

Can steel be soldered?  He's wanting to cut the buffer tube threads w/ a tap, so doing that in brass would be easier than cutting em in steel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Steel cannot be soldered.  Steel has to be welded or brazed

An aluminum receiver has to be anodized which requires dangerous acid.

Steel has to be welded or brazed.  Welding requires skill and brazing works at high temperatures.

Solding copper or brass is a piece of cake.  And a brass receiver would not need to be anodized, parkerized or blued.

Check out the soldering video.

How to Solder Copper Pipe The CORRECT Way | GOT2LEARN
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Steel CAN be Silver Soldered. It’s fairly easy especially if you use Silver Solder paste which has the Silver Solder ground up and the flux mixed together. Its what I use for permanently attaching muzzle devices on barrels less than 16”.
View Quote
"Silver soldering" is a misnomer.  It is actually a form of brazing which requires much more heat
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It depends, there are low temperature (400 degrees) Silver Solders.
View Quote
Please tell us more about them.  Advantages and disadvantages?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Please tell us more about them.  Advantages and disadvantages?
View Quote
400 degrees F?

1 - coat interior surfaces with flux and solder; clamp lower together

2 - preheat oven to 420 degrees F

3 - bake lower for 30 minutes; remove

4 - stir ammunition, sprinkle into magazine
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
You can solder steel, you have to use acid flux and more heat but not silver solder temps. ( think Autobody before bondo for an example, and in shop class 35 years ago I soldered an aux fuel tank for my motorcycle made from sheet metal (steel) . and many tanks at the time were sealed by solder. )

You would want to tin both surfaces to be joined and then join them and heat letting the Tinned parts melt together.

Is it the best option for a flat spot lower, No I don't think so.  nor would I trust it on a brass one.  (standard lead tin or just tin solder. ) I would want some silver for the strength, in lower % the temp is still manageable, and it is stronger than lead tin.

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/01/nyregion/home-clinic-the-hows-and-whys-of-soldering-metal-together.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]
one issue is there are different "hardness" of solder that melt at different temperatures

you need to work from hard to soft so the heat from step 5 does not unsolder step 2
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Using tinning solder would work great for that
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve heard uppers need the anodizing for the wear surfaces that the BCG rides on, but wonder why aluminum lowers need it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’ve heard uppers need the anodizing for the wear surfaces that the BCG rides on, but wonder why aluminum lowers need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe anodizing is necessary.  It is very good, but not totally necessary.

Gun-Kote will work.  Not as well as good anodizing, but it will work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Drill holes in them, tap them and bolt them together?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you shoot enough you’ll wear through the anodizing.
View Quote
So you’re saying it’s not a necessity anywhere?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  So you’re saying it’s not a necessity anywhere?
View Quote
Necessity is a strong word when it comes to ARs.  You can take off any given feature and you're still left with an 87% effective rifle.

Plastic, wooden, brass, and steel lowers are not anodized.  So anodizing isn't a necessity, but it does prolong the life of an aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:46:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Plastic, wooden, brass, and steel lowers are not anodized. So anodizing isn't a necessity, but it does prolong the life of an aluminum receiver.  
View Quote
Not all aluminum receivers are anodized. It really is as much a cosmetic feature as a structural feature.

Highly desirable, but not a necessity.

Back in the day, some people would use oven cleaner and steel wool to remove the anodizing on aluminum pistol frames.  I think that this is a little extreme, but it does show that anodizing is more of a luxury than a necessity.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can solder steel, you have to use acid flux and more heat but not silver solder temps. ( think Autobody before bondo for an example, and in shop class 35 years ago I soldered an aux fuel tank for my motorcycle made from sheet metal (steel) . and many tanks at the time were sealed by solder. )

You would want to tin both surfaces to be joined and then join them and heat letting the Tinned parts melt together.

Is it the best option for a flat spot lower, No I don't think so.  nor would I trust it on a brass one.  (standard lead tin or just tin solder. ) I would want some silver for the strength, in lower % the temp is still manageable, and it is stronger than lead tin.

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/01/nyregion/home-clinic-the-hows-and-whys-of-soldering-metal-together.html
View Quote
I dont know why when I first read in here I didnt remember that my dad has soldered a few old tractor fuel tanks over the years... sounds a like a "bright" idea... what with any residual fuel vapor that may be there
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Welp, heard from the Flat Spot.  They won't do brass flats.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Welp, heard from the Flat Spot.  They won't do brass flats.
View Quote
damn. I wonder why.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Only $30.  That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only $30.  That's pretty cool.
View Quote
It's garbage bro but if you want to find out for yourself pay for the shipping and I'll dig up one of the ones I bought.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  It's garbage bro but if you want to find out for yourself pay for the shipping and I'll dig up one of the ones I bought.
View Quote
If you've got more than one, I'll paying shipping as well.  I give them to my friends that weld.

Garbage, though?  This doesn't look like garbage:

A SHTF end of the world build:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Steel-AR-flats-from-the-Flat-Spot/4-647105/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-I-welded-together-a-steel-receiver-from-theflatspot-net-Update-6-11-Paint-Job-on-page-3/4-648352/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Backbencher-s-Wedding-Giveaway-Build-update-5-4/4-712979/

I'll find Raider14's build threads in a bit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Is that a socket on the barrel?
Love the rust and bolts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Flat Spot just arrived.  Have the propane torch, now need some silver flux and some clamps...
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, went to the solder section @ Home Depot today, and have some questions:

1) There's some silver solder paste in a tube, that apparently has flux mixed in.  Doesn't say it works on non-stainless steel, however.

2) There's electronic solder that has a rosin core.  Will that work?  Is that too weak a joint?

3) If I go silver solder, it comes as a little spool of thick silver wire.  I have to cover both sides of the steel I'm joining with flux, correct?

4) The old man I was talking to there said to flux both sides, then lay a small bit of solder on one side - then apparently let it cool?  Then flux that side again, then clamp it all together and heat it up, and I should see a thin bead of solder emerge from the joint?  Am I understanding it right, or is that old school?

5) He also said to look for 5/95, which I take it is a lead/zinc mix.  Still available, useful, or old school long discontinued?

6) Is there anything low temp enough I could spread out on all the parts, clamp them, and then toss em in the oven @ 450?  Bake a lower?

Keep in mind I majored in liberal arts in college, so when answering me, use small words and assume I know nothing about soldering, b/c I don't.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#35]
And now I know where this idea came from when Fluffy called me a few.days back

I think cutting brass sheet and soldering would work well, there was that bolt together lower, that plexiglas lower, the wood lower. Strength isn't as necessary as the upper.

After our stasi overlords unilaterally banned 80% I am sure there is no way anyone can build a lower now
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  And now I know where this idea came from when Fluffy called me a few.days back

I think cutting brass sheet and soldering would work well, there was that bolt together lower, that plexiglas lower, the wood lower. Strength isn't as necessary as the upper.

After our stasi overlords unilaterally banned 80% I am sure there is no way anyone can build a lower now
View Quote
Oh, I didn't come up w/ it.  Probably came from Bimba.  Is soft aluminum easier to cut than brass?  If we can solder mild steel, surely we can solder aluminum?

We're gonna make em ban Legos next.  New Frontier Armory, I think, has a polymer FCS.  If they can do it out of plastic, it can be done out of Legos.  Won't fit in a standard lower, of course, but if we have Legos, who needs a standard lower?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@guns762
View Quote

It's still sitting on my work bench.  I can send it back or forward to someone with the skills to put it to use, if you like.  

I like the silver solder idea...    very curious if it will work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe silver solder tape.  Cut the strips, clamp them between the bits and heat away.  If you can get it all done in one shot, that would be impressive!
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Maybe silver solder tape.  Cut the strips, clamp them between the bits and heat away.  If you can get it all done in one shot, that would be impressive!
View Quote
Ah ha!  Where do I find silver solder tape, and how hot do I have to get it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ah ha!  Where do I find silver solder tape, and how hot do I have to get it?
View Quote
Brownells  080-538-405MB.  Although I'm sure it can be sourced elsewhere.  Search Silver solder ribbon.  FYI, Brownells while great stuff, it's no bueno for your purposes, 1200f flow temp.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#43]
My several semesters of jewelry making classes taught me that hoping something stays aligned in the kiln is not an effective production technique

you are going to need a wide flame torch and a clamping methodology that does not result in accidentally soldering alignment drills bits into your work or setting your clamps on fire

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  My several semesters of jewelry making classes taught me that hoping something stays aligned in the kiln is not an effective production technique

you are going to need a wide flame torch and a clamping methodology that does not result in accidentally soldering alignment drills bits into your work or setting your clamps on fire

View Quote
Ah.  So no wooden clamps, then?

Ok, I have a wide-flame propane torch, and will snag more metal clamps.  Will keep from heating up the other lower(s) and or the upper.

The good news about this method, if I screw it up and nothing is aligned right, I just heat it up (or throw it on the BBQ), and I'm back to a pile of parts to start over with.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#45]
The plumbing "silver solder" is not a real silver solder in that the primary alloy is tin.  It melts at similar temperatures as lead / tin solders of the past.  The reason this is now used is to remove the fear of lead in potable water supplies.

Brownell's High Force 44 is a similar solder but with 4% silver and 96% tin.  It will melt at a little higher temp, but not by much.   It is the recommended "soft" solder for use in much gunsmithing work.

Oven temps will work, but I'd be inclined to use a torch.  As posted earlier, an acid based flux is required to get the solder to stick to steel, for it needs an oxide free and etched surface to stick.  The advice to first tin the mating surfaces is a good one.

The way I'd go about tinning those surfaces would be as follows:  Apply a thin coat of flux on the mating surface.  Heat with a torch from the opposite side until the solder melts.  Run the wire along the edge to make a small bead that coats the mating edge.  Wipe off while hot with a dry cotton cloth. There should be a void free coating on the surface.  Re apply locally flux and solder to any void spots, and again wipe off.

Assemble and clamp the parts with a small coating of flux along the joints (does not need to be an acid flux now) between joints making sure everything is lined up.  Start at one convenient end and heat until the solder melts at that corner.  Move the torch along and apply solder as needed.  You should see the solder whet and weep into the joint and possibly squish out as well.   Keep moving along heating and applying solder as needed throughout all the joints.  If  you do it well, the solder will cool and solidify by the time you reach the other end of a longer joint.

Soldering aluminum is not practical at all.  JB Weld would be far superior in terms of strength, for solder really does not stick to aluminum as the oxide layer form instantly.  It is essentially a soft thin anodizing.  For any hope of soldering aluminum it needs to be sanded under and kept in an inert atmosphere.  Corrosion is a good possibility as well along the joint after it is done and sits.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#46]
What temperature are we talking about with this plumbing silver solder?  (Just realized the word plumber comes from the Latin for lead).  Should we call them tinners or PVCers today?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#47]
The eutectic alloy of about 3.5% silver melts at about 430 degrees F.  The 4% silver alloy melts a bit higher, but I'd suspect it will be around 450 degrees F.  This is not too much higher than traditional lead tin solders.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
So if I screw it up, I really could stick it in the oven @ 550, bake for 87 minutes, and have a fresh start.

If I could build a jig that would hold all the parts in place w/o risk of being soldered into the lower, we really could have shake & bake lowers, no?

Very handy for car trips from Pennsylvania to Maine, for instance.  Melt the solder off your lower, drive through New York w/ your jigsaw pieces until you get back to a free state, recoat it w/ solder, pop it in the jig, bake on high for 87 minutes?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted: Probably material cost.....
View Quote
If I sent you a Flat Spot jigsaw puzzle, how much would you charge to replicate it in brass?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top