Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2002 3:55:10 PM EDT
I am really into the retro AR thing!
Have any of you guys tried this? Can I mill off the mag fence & detent pin retaining protrusion? Does anyone sell a Lower lkike this? will a custom shop build one of these for me?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
garr...Getting into the retro-look, eh? Yes, there are quite a few of those retro type lowers for sale. They were made between 1957 & 1992 and cost anywhere from $500-$1,500 USD each.

Have I, or do I know, anyone that has shaved/milled their supports off? No.

Can you do it(BIY)? O yaa shoore yoo betcha. As long as you don't attempt to assemble your rifle as PRE BAN, that'd probably fly. Otherwise you'll be looking at "getting into" a bright orange jumpsuit, a pair of gellies and you'll be sporting some really swanky nickled plated jewelry. You could pay to have a Class2 manf'r build you a serial'd no fence/no strut lower. Try asking a licensed builder in your locale...Bud

Because we can
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The reason I wanted to use a post ban lower is because if it gets screwed up big deal, I will simply try another! If a pre ban Small holelower gets screwed up it is gone forever!

I have a couple of pre-ban Colt SP1 type rifles with slab sided lowers, The problem is they are all large hole! I want a small hole to replicate a very early rifle.

Also I am aware of the law with regards to pre-post ban assembly requirements, I have no intention of doing anything that is not legal,
I intend to use a custom 1:14 inch twist barrel with the bayonet lug neutered with a permanently attached Fake duckbill F/S from Kurts Kustom to give me the retro look, but still follow the letter of the law!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
garr...I take it that you are not keen on using adapter pins. Is this going to be a wallhanger or a shooter? If it's a wallhanger then write me with an addy that I can send PIX to...I have something that'll make ya weep. I copy on not wanting to trash a lower. Find a smith in/near your locale & ask away. Ever consider buying a lower casting and building it yourself? Just a thought, eh...Bud
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top