Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2022 3:55:09 PM EDT
Hello guys,

So I’m pretty new to night vision, recently splurged on a nice PVS-14 and set up an 11.5 upper with a surefire m600v, Steiner otal, and unity syncs dual pad. Seems based on my limited experience to work well for indoor/close range use. Next I want to NV-compatible my 14.5 upper for longER range use. I’m considering the exact same setup, but I also already have an M600 (white light only) on this rifle, and in storage I have a surefire dual pressure switch (can’t practically use both pads at once unlike the unity which allows use of two devices with one button). So I was considering a Dbal D2 since the rifle is set up for longer ranges (ACOG), but looking at the specs it’s not looking to make sense doing so unless I’m missing something.

M600V/Otal SPECS
Illuminator Output: 120mW/860nm
Laser Output: <0.7mW/850nm
Laser Beam Divergence: <0.8 mRad

Dbal D2 SPECS
Illuminator Output: (mW not specified, <600mW)/850nm
Laser Output: (mW not specified)/850nm
Laser Beam Divergence: <0.8 mRad

BONUS: MAWL SPECS
Illuminator Output: 65mW
Laser Output: 0.7mW

So, again I’m a NV noobie so don’t rip me too hard, but looking at these specs, with the M600V/Otal combo I’d be getting basically the same package as the D2 but significantly cheaper, and twice the illumination as the MAWL with the same laser. I’ve got to be missing something. Can someone point it out for me please? Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t played around with the D2 as much; mainly the DBAL-A3, but I think you get less “flooding” with the DBAL as opposed to the surefire. I have the 300v and you can’t adjust the focus of the beam like you can with the DBALs. So illumination at distance is better in that regard. I’ve started watching Hop’s personal channel from TFBTV as he reviews and talks a lot about night vision equipment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The D2 is a LED illuminator and as such is not restricted by the FDA.

If you’re looking for longer distance then I would think you would want either a full power unit, a D2 or a separate but powerful illuminator such as the Modlite IR head (I think there’s a similar company who also has a IR head but don’t remember who).

Surefire vampire lights are awesome in the fact that they are a dual spectrum light and can switch on the fly by twisting the head. But they suck on individual levels compared to other options.
By suck I mean the white light side of the vampire has more flood and less throw than the Modlite, Cloud Defensive or some others. It’s similar with the IR side of the Surefire light vs dedicated IR lights.

If I were planning on using it for hunting I would either go full power or get a dedicated IR light, a dedicated white light and a laser. It might be a little bulkier and heavier depending on the way it’s all put together but it’s not really a run and gun rig if I’m understanding you correctly. It’s more for getting to your spot and getting set up and calling/waiting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a long range solution with a laser, the D2 is the answer. The D2 is the only illuminator/laser that really compares to a FP laser based (PEQ-15) unit. I have compared both side by side and the results on the D2 are indeed impressive. I also use SF vampires when I need a lighter/smaller system and up close (100-150yds) they work good but nothing like the D2.

You will read that the D2 is HUGE and while it is compared to the DBAL i2, A3 etc. it seems pretty big but when you add any other illuminator to the mix, you will have a bigger/heavier setup than the D2 by itself. The difference is the D2 is long range where the other combo set-up really provides close to medium capability. Also, as mentioned, much easier to use 1 pressure pad rather than 2 or the increased cost of a specialized switch. Again, use both setups and they work well but when things get hot, 1 switch is easier to manipulate.

If you can get over the size.... you will be pleased with the performance. Next up will be a FP unit and the idiosyncrasies that some with it. (legal). Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a long range solution with a laser, the D2 is the answer. The D2 is the only illuminator/laser that really compares to a FP laser based (PEQ-15) unit. I have compared both side by side and the results on the D2 are indeed impressive. I also use SF vampires when I need a lighter/smaller system and up close (100-150yds) they work good but nothing like the D2.

You will read that the D2 is HUGE and while it is compared to the DBAL i2, A3 etc. it seems pretty big but when you add any other illuminator to the mix, you will have a bigger/heavier setup than the D2 by itself. The difference is the D2 is long range where the other combo set-up really provides close to medium capability. Also, as mentioned, much easier to use 1 pressure pad rather than 2 or the increased cost of a specialized switch. Again, use both setups and they work well but when things get hot, 1 switch is easier to manipulate.

If you can get over the size.... you will be pleased with the performance. Next up will be a FP unit and the idiosyncrasies that some with it. (legal). Good Luck!
View Quote

Will echo this.  I've compared the D2 to a FP PEQ and the D2 wins in the illuminator area.  The illuminator is artifact free and beautiful, while the peq can have varying levels of petri dish spots.  This fits with my past experiences with FP peqs in different units as well. D2 IR laser is fine while a FP peq laser can bloom.  If this says anything, I have a D2 on my rifle and it will do 100yds easy. Wanting to get my hands on a FP A3 for comparison as there aren't any great videos out there on them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my D2. It's badass even if it's a little bulky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
So I was considering a Dbal D2 since the rifle is set up for longer ranges (ACOG),
View Quote

Are you trying to use your 14 with your ACOG?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
So I’m going to disagree with the MAWL illuminator portion. I’ve seen the civilian mawl compared to the LA5 and NGAL and the MAWL destroyed those under nods and the MAWL wins for ergonomics, if you’re needing to switch from dual high to dual low it’s quick. I have no experience with the steiner stuff but seeing how the MAWL was compared to the full power stuff I was surprised.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top