BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 10/31/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/finally-surefires-new-1500-lumen-scout-light-130651.html

This WML that puts out more than twice the light as the M600 Ultra is named the M600DF. With current technology, 1,000 lumens appears to be on the upper limits of the output of a CR123 battery–and Surefire broke it. Not only will the M600DF put out 1,200 lumens with CR123s, but this Scout can also eat dual fuel. No, not dual fuel with AA and CR123, but the larger and more energy dense rechargeable 18650 and CR123s. And you get 1,500 lumens with a 18650 battery.

The MSRP? The same as the current crop of Surefire Scout lights: $299.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just for the sake of asking, if that had a vampire head on it how bright would that be with night vision?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck.  More shit I want.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't need that. I need the 200-800 lumen lights to come down in price, not shining something reflective and having it murder my night vision. For that price, it's a great deal on sunshine though
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So... basically to compete with the Streamlight HL-X.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Want 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I need this light.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, must have hired some Chinese.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So... basically to compete with the Streamlight HL-X.
View Quote
At three times the price.

I loved my Surefires but they're simply not worth the money to me anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be buying one once they hit my preferred distributors. The more light the better. The fact that there's no price increase is pleasantly surprising.

I use an HLX handheld on duty and love the light output and throw. If I can get more of that in a weapon light, then I'm stoked.

For those of you concerned regarding too many lumens, take a class and learn how to properly utilize your light. The more, the better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire is finally starting to come out with some innovative products again.  Quite refreshing.  Do want.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will be buying one once they hit my preferred distributors. The more light the better. The fact that there's no price increase is pleasantly surprising.

I use an HLX handheld on duty and love the light output and throw. If I can get more of that in a weapon light, then I'm stoked.

For those of you concerned regarding too many lumens, take a class and learn how to properly utilize your light. The more, the better.
View Quote
Not that I disagree, but the irony in that is the Surefire sycophants raged for years that anything more than the pitiful 60 lumen that dribbled out of the front of a 6P for 20 minutes would blind you and render you entirely helpless.

Also this 1500 lumen is brought to you courtesy of an 18650 cell that Surefire refused to bore their lights for, and even Surefire wanna be Elzetta mimicked and declared too unreliable for a weapon light.

I'm glad to see Surefire coming around on the technology scale , but there is absolutely nothing in that light that makes it worth anything near their asking price.

If the government and public safety agencies spending someone else money weren't buying Surefire they would have gone tits up years ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Do want!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not that I disagree, but the irony in that is the Surefire sycophants raged for years that anything more than the pitiful 60 lumen that dribbled out of the front of a 6P for 20 minutes would blind you and render you entirely helpless.

Also this 1500 lumen is brought to you courtesy of an 18650 cell that Surefire refused to bore their lights for, and even Surefire wanna be Elzetta mimicked and declared too unreliable for a weapon light.

I'm glad to see Surefire coming around on the technology scale , but there is absolutely nothing in that light that makes it worth anything near their asking price.

If the government and public safety agencies spending someone else money weren't buying Surefire they would have gone tits up years ago.
View Quote
The vast majority of cops buy streamlight. Streamlight has done an excellent job of shoe horning their products into uniform and police supply stores. Nothing sells faster than a tactical light displayed in front of new recruits spending big bucks. SF survives of off federal gov contracts IMO.

I understand SF has been extremely slow to come around to modern competition and upgrades, but I love their quality and switches.

I won't pay full list price, but $220ish is fair for the first quality 1500 lumen duty light.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Damnit, I just ordered another 600U on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The HL-X comes in a weapon light configuration ("HL-X rail mount weapon light").  Unlike Surefire, they also come with clamp, wiring for tape switch, tape switch itself, and adhesive pad and zip ties (oh, and battery too). And all for 1/3 the price of the Surefire. Granted, the HL-X is 1k lumen (vs this new SF 1.5K lumen), but still... that's a hell of deal for a SF competitor.

ETA: and the HL-X can use 18650 batteries too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Kinda want
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup. This will be put on my patrol gun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The HL-X comes in a weapon light configuration ("HL-X rail mount weapon light").  Unlike Surefire, they also come with clamp, wiring for tape switch, tape switch itself, and adhesive pad and zip ties (oh, and battery too). And all for 1/3 the price of the Surefire. Granted, the HL-X is 1k lumen (vs this new SF 1.5K lumen), but still... that's a hell of deal for a SF competitor.

ETA: and the HL-X can use 18650 batteries too.
View Quote
I'm quite aware. The HLX in weapon light configuration comes in around $110. The surefire is more expensive. I'm not debating that. I have protacs and an HLX. The surefire still wins in build quality, IMO. This is not to disparage the streamlight. It is simply my preference. As a dude who is willing to chase the brightest, the new SF piques my curiosity and I am willing to pay the money for it. I imagine they will drop down to around $220 just like the current scout prices.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At three times the price.

I loved my Surefires but they're simply not worth the money to me anymore.
View Quote
Yeah man. There's so many other options, regardless of where a light is made. Ive had SF lights, but now use Armytek and Klarus. I'd rather pay $80 over +$200 any day. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Surefire lights mount with little to no thought when it comes to mount options and availability. One feature ArmyTek, EagTac, Klarus, Lumintop, and others being used, do not have.
There are lots of good EDC flashlights available that out shine, in comparison to many rifle, pistol ready options.
Where the EDC lights are lacking, mount-ability in good form factor and function.

Been there, done that.
Buy a light designed to mount on a rifle. Or continue on mounting the EDC lights.

The topic here is about a new Surefire weapon light.
1500 lumen?
18650 battery?
Added weight?

I like my M300 and M600 Scouts.
**Topic tagged for more hands-on user input**

ETA
Surefire weapon lights are expensive, but they're made for a specific use.
When the EDC lights mount like them, I'll buy them.
IMO, EDC lights mounted in 1" offset mounts are form and functionality, ugly as fuck
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Things that concern me:
1500 lumen better have a LOT of throw, and a nice amount of flood.
The reflector they use will be the the unicorn.
Are the LEDs de-domed as their way of lumen increase?
Saying a light is 1500 lumen is one thing. How they control the output in their choice of reflector, that remains to be seen.
I hope they got it right
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Things that concern me:
1500 lumen better have a LOT of throw, and a nice amount of flood.
The reflector they use will be the the unicorn.
Are the LEDs de-domed as their way of lumen increase?
Saying a light is 1500 lumen is one thing. How they control the output in their choice of reflector, that remains to be seen.
I hope they got it right
View Quote
My guess? You won't be able to tell the difference between it and the HL-X (1k lumen). But you WILL be able to tell the difference in price.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#25]
In 4 vampire version @ under 200 via hookups
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Will have
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I have owned a 6P for almost 15 years now, and it's been a go to. finally upgraded the head last year and it made a world of difference, like 300 lumen instead of the 60 or whatever. it's great. Not sure I want to make the jump to new batteries or could stomach a $300 flashlight, but I (as a non-first responder/mil) like the idea of lightning shit up. $300 for a light is still way better than 3k for NV, and since most of my trouble would be within 50 feet, this should have me covered.

however I agree with above posters about other brands coming in. My rifles/pistols have streamlights on them since they have held up well for me and are 1/2 or 1/3 the price. my carry lights are migrating over to Fenix since they are putting out some great values and I've had good luck with customer support. If they made a pistol light I would buy it in a heartbeat. my single AAA model from them is brighter than the surefire was pre-head.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Any word  on upgraded m300s ?  Are FDE lights coming back ?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#29]
So any idea when it will be available?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#30]
As a Surefire fanboy, I will get one eventually.

My list of priorities:

1. Build quality and reliability.
2. Beam quality (even, neutral white, good throw)
3. Mounting options.
4. Availability of spare parts such as switches, heads, etc to change configuration (use the head, tail cap, or body on other lights I already own and use)
5. Price
6. Warranty and CS
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#31]
do the batteries groan when you turn it on.

that thing is so bright it is useless.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#33]
That’s a lot of lumens. I ditched a x300 because on my handgun it was to much. Honestly the 200 lumen heads are perfect for what I need.

still cool though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#34]
It's almost impossible to have too much light coming from a weapon light. In a home defense/LE/military usage the more lumens the better (assuming of course appropriate throw). When lives are on the line it's no time to be conservative with light. If I could have mounted the sun on my M4 I would have.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's almost impossible to have too much light coming from a weapon light. In a home defense/LE/military usage the more lumens the better (assuming of course appropriate throw). When lives are on the line it's no time to be conservative with light. If I could have mounted the sun on my M4 I would have.
View Quote
Iol agreed.  It's crazy how ppl on here still talk of more lumens is bad and mirror blinding etc... a light is a defense tool as well. The more light the better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Anybody have an idea when it might be available for purchase?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Iol agreed.  It's crazy how ppl on here still talk of more lumens is bad and mirror blinding etc... a light is a defense tool as well. The more light the better.
View Quote
Untrained persons who's only experience comes from youtube, forums, and slapping a light on their gun and running through their house in the darkness.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Untrained persons who's only experience comes from youtube, forums, and slapping a light on their gun and running through their house in the darkness.

Oh well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well.
C'mon, do you really think they've done that much research and planning
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:32:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anybody have an idea when it might be available for purchase?
View Quote
December.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Edited -- keep this out of the tech forums - sju
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll wait and get both, handgun version for my USP Tac. And then I'll transfer that light which is an XU300 to my 3rd gen Glock 17 and the rifle version for my AR SBR. 
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I want one for sure, I camp in some National Forrest's and some of the areas are really wide open.  This would be great on my scar 17, as long as it has lots of throw.  I don't see why it wouldn't, why would they design a rifle light with out a lot of throw.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I want one for sure, I camp in some National Forrest's and some of the areas are really wide open.  This would be great on my scar 17, as long as it has lots of throw.  I don't see why it wouldn't, why would they design a rifle light with out a lot of throw.
View Quote
The throw is reportedly significant from those with hands on experience and the TIR head is supposedly a good balance of throw and spill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#44]
When I saw the EDCL2-T with 1200 Lumens, my first thought was "I hope they make a 1200 lumen scout light" now, bam, here it is and more. I've been meaning to get a light for my latest build, this will fit the bill. Cant wait to get get my hands on this.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Welcome, Surefire.  Welcome to 2014.  I'm glad you finally made it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1 lol agreed
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol! I edited my prior post because I thought I was overly harsh on SF.... but this post nails it.
Maybe someday they'll actually make something that isn't chasing someone else's product (such as Olight or Streamlight who are kicking the snot out of SF).
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Glad they’ve finally come around to embracing “new” tech.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#49]
want
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol! I edited my prior post because I thought I was overly harsh on SF.... but this post nails it.
Maybe someday they'll actually make something that isn't chasing someone else's product (such as Olight or Streamlight who are kicking the snot out of SF).
View Quote
The o light has a shitty beam, is relatively untested, and almost no one makes holsters for them.

Streamlight has really upgraded their game as of recent, but I've broken more streamlights than I have Surefires.

a 1500 lumen tir scout will, I predict, be even better than An HLX and fit on a carbine better.

Let's not be dramatic here, for duty use, SF is still the goto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top