Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2008 11:00:25 PM EDT
So ... I think I need to lighten up my carbine. A 10" carbine that weighs 13 pounds loaded? Yeah ... it sucks to hump through the woods.

I'm looking at my flashlight setup in particular. Right now I'm using the Surefire M900 - it has decent throw, I like the LED's ... but it's heavy. I'm curious though, is it more heavy than a surefire, foregrip, and pressure switch?

Does anyone have a good chart showing the different weights of lighting setups?

Doc
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
13 lbs for a 10"?? What else do you have on it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A TD VFG and Surefire with mount would only be about 4 ounces off from a M900 IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I wondered the same thing.  I have a M900.  I searched online but couldn’t find the weights for some of the other Surefire lights.  I was able to determine that a Pentagon light and a Tango Down VG would weigh 4 to 5 ounces less.  My M900 weighs 17+ ounces without batteries.  A Pentagon and Tango Down setup is listed at 12+ ounces.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an M900 and got rid of it. They are heavy. I use just a regular Surefire and VFGnow and am a lot more happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
13 lbs for a 10"?? What else do you have on it?

Noveske 10" Stainless, Noveske flash hider, larue fore-end, short dot on top, vltor e-mod stock.

Add two 30 round mags ... and that beast is HEAVY. Not fun to jump over fences with or have to hold on target for any extended amount of time. I find I am less accurate because I am fighting the weight ... I know, I know .. I need to work out more ... but the fact remains.

For now, I've taken all of the batteries out of the e-mod stock except for 3 123 spares for the m900, and I'm running just one 30rd mag. It helps, but it's still heavy. Trying to cut weight where I can - I'm thinking maybe of ditching the flash hider and going to a magpul CTR ... At last resort, I may go with a new upper with no stainless heavy barrel.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wondered the same thing.  I have a M900.  I searched online but couldn’t find the weights for some of the other Surefire lights.  I was able to determine that a Pentagon light and a Tango Down VG would weigh 4 to 5 ounces less.  My M900 weighs 17+ ounces without batteries.  A Pentagon and Tango Down setup is listed at 12+ ounces.

Is that a 6v or a 9v?

Thanks for the input guys!

Doc
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top