BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 1:36:20 PM EDT
Stats:
Pentagon X3-HA flashlight.
135 lumens using xenon gas filled lamp assembly.
Hard anodized 6061 aluminum body.
Lexan lens.
Waterproof using multiple O-rings.
Shock isolated bezel.
Length: 7" body, 7 and 1/4" including the  rubber tail hood.
Weight: 8 ozs when loaded with three 3 volt batteries.
Cost: $85 shipped UPS ground.
Mount used:
Daniel Defense for attaching to 1913 Picatinny rail.

The name Pentagon comes from the shape of the tail section. It is in a pentagon shape to keep it from rolling around when used as a personal light.

Pics of the Daniel Defense mount....seems very well made and attaches very tightly to the rail:

Gotta love anything that has a black helicopter on the box.  

The light feels soild in the hand:

In the DD mount:

On the AR:

Pic from the front:

Last shot:

I tried the light in a darkened room and was impressed. It is very bright. I own a couple of Surefires but none over 100 lumens. The center focus is good but not quite on the par of a Surefire. It has a tight center light but not quite as perfectly round as the Surefires. It is very solid and well made.
If compared to a high end Surefire I would give it a "B" or "B+". The $85 price tag along with it's ruggedness makes it an "A" overall.
Maybe a little competition will bring Surefire's prices a little more in line.
I give it two thumbs up for my use.
I have heard that more and more of these are making their way to the sandbox so we will see how they hold up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post!

I've been looking hard at the Pentagon lights for some time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Great post!

I'm looking been hard at the Prntagon lights for some time.

+1 same here I think im gonna buy one quite soon. Also I like the pics very nice!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
  Excellent pictures

Any info on battery life?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Any info on battery life?

DOH!

Sorry......

60 minutes when using the 135 lumen lamp.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you had a chance to see whether this is realistic?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same set up. I will never buy another Surefire. As far as durability goes, I've shot 150 rounds of full power 12 gauge with the light attached to my shotgun with no ill effects.

The Pentagon is a great light, on par with Surefire for sure. When you consider price, it is even better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have the same set up. I will never buy another Surefire. As far as durability goes, I've shot 150 rounds of full power 12 gauge with the light attached to my shotgun with no ill effects.

The Pentagon is a great light, on par with Surefire for sure. When you consider price, it is even better.

Man I better get off my ass and buy one before they start jacking up the prices to surefire levels.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
While I am still playing around with the mounting of the X3, I'm sold on the light itself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great and could see it as a definiate set up on the AR but wondering if you had to use the light with handgun only is the length too much? Would it be effected by muzzle blast?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two X2s/two DD mounts and love them.  I think I'm going to get two X3s as well

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you attach the mount and light to the top rail?  Would there be any problems with this set up and if possible could you post some pictures of it on the top rail?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
We've done some comparison and benchmarking.  Here are the results:

PentagonLight's MS2 uses B-X2 bulb which I think is what's also inside a X2.  That ran two batteries dried 62 minutes (last 3 minutes was dimmed).  For brightness, the spec says 70 lumens.  I don't know what that means, but it is brighter compared to Surefire M951 which has P60 bulb inside.  We ran both lights with fresh batteries, it is easy to tell MS2 is brighter, whiter, with a hotter center spot on a wall about 15 feet away.  So I would say MS2 is brighter than M951.

On MS3 which uses B-X3, we only spent a few minutes comparing to a M3 from Surefire.  It is brighter as well.  Run time from 3 fresh batteris is about 62 minutes, although the light was dimmed in the last 3 or 4 minutes, so I would cautiously qualify it for meeting 60 minutes as stated in the spec.

We also looked at Streamlight, Pelican, and Laser Device.  PentagonLight really topped them all.

After checking on the spec and comparing them, I would say only Surefire and Pentagon consistently met the spec.  Streamlight is the biggest liar.   Its Strion which says 80 lumens, didnt even come close to M951 which says 65 lumens or PentagonLight's MS2 at 70 lumens.  Their tactical light spec are also bloated.  Laser Device is also poor.  Pelican overinflated somewhat.  Their M6 says 74 lumens is actually not brighter than PentagonLight's MS2 at 70 lumens.  It is only slightly brighter than Surefire M951.  So if Pentagon and Surefire are correct, I would say Pelican M6 is actually about 67 lumens.

Ok, enough sharing of my work.  You guys go do some real investigative work, too.

Quoted:
Have you had a chance to see whether this is realistic?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I don't understand why they have to lie about the brightness because it is very easy to tell.  Runtime is harder because you kind of have to stay around to wait for it to die off.  Anyway, I just got a PentagonLight L2 LED light.  It says 65 lumens on the box, but because it is a white light, it is hard to compare to a regular bulb light.  How do I tell which is brighter?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, I don't understand why they have to lie about the brightness because it is very easy to tell.  Runtime is harder because you kind of have to stay around to wait for it to die off.  Anyway, I just got a PentagonLight L2 LED light.  It says 65 lumens on the box, but because it is a white light, it is hard to compare to a regular bulb light.  How do I tell which is brighter?

" Brightness  " is a totally subjective measurement ; different bulb/lens combos give off
  different wavelengths/colors of light.
 You really need to compare lights visually to see what's best for you.

LUMENS are an actual measurement , but will vary slightly depending on test conditions and
 equipment.

Why would a company deliberately falsify test results which can be independently duplicated?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Companies may not be quoting specs of actual use -
SureFire measures the output of it's lights by shining them into integrating spheres.
I've seen the test equipment and had an A2 I had on me rated ('rough and ready' at 58 Lumens)

The output rating from SureFire is not "peak" but a considered rating based on how the output performs during realistic use (which may not be constant-on). It is also the output that comes out of the front of the flashlight through the window.

Al
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
This looks like a nice setup. How's the weight on the rifle after you added the mount/light?

Where abouts did you order that mount, straight from DD?

^_^_^
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top