Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 1:54:37 PM EDT
Just got mine form Calvin at "Brightflashlights.com" who took my order over the phone on Thursday Evening (actually called me back), and I received the switch on Monday via USPS Priority Mail. Outstanding!

This is the "TG" model remote switch for a TRP and an X200A light.

1st thing is that SF doesn't tell you in the instructions that you should remove the mounting plate from the light before trying to take off the old switch. Hence...I broke one of the hinges on the original momentary, On/ Off swithch. Oh well, no back-up.

So, after breakng the original switch, I took off the mounting plate, and the new one snapped right on. Perfect.

The first thing I noticed is that the pressure switch doesn't go all the way back to the to the Springfield TRP frame front strap. I was dismayed by this because I wanted a switch that "in the middle of the night", could be activated by my strong hand like the other remote switches SF makes for other gun models when there isn't time for a 2 hand hold. The "TG" switch is activated by the "Weak Hand" grip top finger under the trigger gaurd. I now believe this is by design. (More below)

Secondly, the switch needs to be adjusted (bent into place) to properly fit under the trigger gaurd. Out of the box, the switch had about a 1/4" gap between it and the bottom of the trigger gaurd which could allow for the switch to snag on a piece of clothing, bedspread etc.

This is no problem. Just a little bending (very rigid material, but pliable) here and there, and you're good to go. There is also no interference when using my Blade-Tech Thigh Rig Holster.

I have re-thought my initial desire for a strong hand activated pressure switch due to the following:

1. By just grabbing your weapon with a switch that is controlled by your already "adrenaline filled" grip, you will most certaintly activate the "White Light" ..whether you intended to or not. With the "Weak Hand" activation, you need to think a little more before the light comes on. Not much more, but enough.

2. If the BG is so close to you in the middle of the night (Like right up your fanny)...he needs to be incapacitated immediately. In this situation I don't agree with those who question if the intended target is a "Possible Family Member" that is not properly identified.

If someone has already come through my locked bedroom door, and is 3 feet from me, advancing, and is already "Up my fanny"...they're going to get it.

So much for..."always be sure of your target." Perfect in theory, but again in this instance (which is very possible)...when the threat is that close, has already broken in and you don't have time for a proper 2 hand hold...it needs to be stopped!

(Boy.... I just know I'm going to get some heat on this one!)

Overall, this switch exhibits the same top quality we have come to expect from Sure Fire. It is rugged, well designed, and very functional (so much better than the original switch whhich severely bruises the tip of your thumb when actuating the switch moentary switch, and firing "Full 45 ACP Loads".)

Just my $.02 worth. YMMV

Tack
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
"1st thing is that SF doesn't tell you in the instructions that you should remove the mounting plate from the light before trying to take off the old switch. Hence...I broke one of the hinges on the original momentary, On/ Off swithch. Oh well, no back-up."

Erm, I have several X200's and I've just removed the battery cover/switch from all of them.
Two have the old-style lever latches (X200A models), one has the current version lever latch (six screw fixings), and another has the "Rail-Lock" installed along with the TG-11 (X200B).

I didn't need to remove anything prior to removing the battery cover/switch.

The TG-11 Trigger Guard Switch I have is a straight forward swap with the standard switch. I admit you have to take some care and it's not that easy to remove the battery cover/switch (but then you wouldn't want it coming off unintentionally either).

I suggest that you call SureFire about what happened - I'm sure they'll take care of you.

The TG-11 has a longer pressure switch 'tab' then the proto-types I've seen. I guess this was based on feedback and one of the reasons why SureFire didn't release these switch options straight away.

Al
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
just call surefire tech support and explain to them what happened and they will take care of you.
Trevor
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a TG-11 on order from Calvin for my TLE/RL2 because it's the only pressure switch currently available for 1911s.

I think you have it right re: the design of the TG switch. Does it do anything for you that using the standard rocker switch didn't (before you broke it? LOL)? IE you still have to use two hands...

But I really want one of the ambi slimline switches like I have for my Glock. I DO want a one-hand activation. It will give me a lot more options -- like using a handheld light as well.

Until I have that, the Glock is in the nightstand.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But I really want one of the ambi slimline switches like I have for my Glock. I DO want a one-hand activation. It will give me a lot more options -- like using a handheld light as well.

Do you mean the DG-11 single pad pressure switch?  If so, I have those in now as well.  (Sorry to keep piling on, I just gotta pay for that upper I bought from you. )

ADDICT TO PUSHER: NEED A HIT, EMAIL SENT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a TG-11 on order from Calvin for my TLE/RL2 because it's the only pressure switch currently available for 1911s.

I think you have it right re: the design of the TG switch. Does it do anything for you that using the standard rocker switch didn't (before you broke it? LOL)? IE you still have to use two hands...

Until I have that, the Glock is in the nightstand.

Yes....It is easier on the Weak Hand Thumb which takes a beating when using the stock switch in the "momentary on/off" mode.

The TG-11 also has the stock Rocker/ Momentary On/ Off switch, as well as the pressure pad that that is under the trigger gaurd.

Tack
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean the DG-11 single pad pressure switch?  If so, I have those in now as well.  (Sorry to keep piling on, I just gotta pay for that upper I bought from you. )

Calvin,

Clarify please.

Vandal and I are under the same understanding that Sure Fire only makes the "TG" (Under the trigger gaurd) switch for 1911's. It says the same in their Tactical catalog. Has this changed? Are they now making the DG Slimline Ambi Switch for 1911's?

Tack
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Although it does require a 2-hand grip, I do like this a lot more than the standard switch.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
After seeing Vandal's Kimber, I now know why I broke my Std. X200A Battery cover when trying to get it off the hing pin....

It uses a different mounting bracket than my TRP which is equipped with a Dawson Rail. Vandal's mounting bracket rear end (towards the trigger gaurd) has much more clearance than my mounting bracket which "Crowds" the Hinge Pin area.

I was aware of the different mounts for different rail systems....now I can SEE the difference.

Those of you "beware" if you have a Dawson Rail system on a TRP.....take off the mounting bracket from your X200A BEFORE trying to remove the std. switch from the light. After trying it....I don't think it can be done. Just no enough clearance to get the "Hooks" off the hinge pin.

FWIW and YMMV.

Tack  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top