Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2004 6:12:12 PM EDT
I would like to know if anyone has ever used this device with a gen 3 night vision device and how far the range really is?  I have my reasons for wanting to illuminate even with a gen 3 device.  

I have heard they really dont work that far away and the beam is not focused that well.  

Also does anyone else make a IR illuminator that is battery operated that works like a regular 1 or 2 mil candlepower spotlight?

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.

The beam is tightly focused.

It works great indoors at illuminating areas where there is truly NO light.

50 yards is probably the effective range outdoors.

The ont thing I wish I had is an adapter to mount it right on the AN-PVS-7B's that I have. That would be the shiznit. Every mount I see is very expensive, and look like $3.00 worth of plastic.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be using a pvs 14 mounted to my left eye.  I will duct tape the Surefire to my weapon.  Laugh if you want to, but it works for the other surefire regular light I have.  I might consider a different mount later, but for testing purposes, I am not spending a fortune on a rail and a mount just to see how it works.  

Thanks for the reply and any info would be great on the surefire unit
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
65 yards MAX with the M1.  Realistically 50yrds is max effective beam.  I think this IR light is a GREAT perimeter CQB type light.  I agree with OLY of course and VERY expensive for this light for what you get.

Also, if you need a VERY cheap mount (if you have a rail already) I purchased a clearance sale weaver 1" scope rings. The sporting goods store wanted 27 bones, but since the package was mangled a bit, I got it for 12 smacks!  Works suprisingly well!  Hope this helps

Vic
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the help.  I got one and it works great.  In timber, the range is limited, but it will illuminate out to 100 yards on open terrain.  I am just wearing the thing around my neck at this stage and picking it up when I need it.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top