Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 10:35:37 AM EDT
www.surefire.com/images/popup/popup-02.jpg

This is the popup I got at SureFire's site introducing their LED handgun light.  Apparently there's an adaptor for Picatinny rails.

Does anyone know if SureFire will be introducing LED weaponlights?  Specifically I'm thinking about the LED version of a M952.

Or can you retrofit an LED lamp onto an M952?

As I understand it, the LED's have a longer run time but don't have as bright of a beam.  Has SureFire improved upon this?

What are the pros and cons of LED weaponlights?

I'm on the verge of buying a SureFire M952 but don't want to purchase one only to have a new product hit the market a month later.

TIA,

Corey

EDITED to add that a later search turned up this thread:  www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=169940&w=searchPop

Does anyone have any idea when this new bezel is scheduled for release?

How will this new bezel compare performance-wise to a standard M962?

I'm presuming that it won't fit the M952, so I'd have to move up to the M962.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
"Apparently there's an adaptor for Picatinny rails"
This is correct.

"Does anyone know if SureFire will be introducing LED weaponlights?"
Yes they will be.

"Specifically I'm thinking about the LED version of a M952."
It is likely that they will continue to offer a wide range of options.

"As I understand it, the LED's have a longer run time but don't have as bright of a beam. Has SureFire improved upon this?"
It is possible (and has been done) that LED's can be brighter and more powerful than bulbs at the expensive of runtime. We are seeing now that high Watt LED's such as the 5W Luxeons have similar output (Lumens) and runtime (minutes) as 5W bulbs. What they don't currently have is the same intense beam throw as bulbs from the same sized reflector/bezel.

"What are the pros and cons of LED weaponlights?"
I guess you would need to discuss this with the people currently using and evaluating them. I guess (since I have no experience) that the LED would be far more difficult to break, have a longer life and give a whiter, more daylight output.
From my personal experience of what SureFire has to offer, the clarity of image from the user's point of view is enhanced. When something like a 5W Luxeon flashed at you, I find it far more annoying than a similar output bulb.

"I'm on the verge of buying a SureFire M952 but don't want to purchase one only to have a new product hit the market a month later."
It is highly likely that the KL5 bezel will fit and function on the M95 WeaponLight. I suggest you talk to SureFire Tech Support to confirm this. The KL5 has not yet been released although we hope it will be before the end of the year.

The KL5 fits on the M2.
The KL6 fits on the M3.

Of course the WeaponLights use the same bezels as the M2 and M3.

Al
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Al:

Thanks for the info!

Corey
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just saw the Pop up on their website also.  I'm hoping the light will have a good amount of light output.  Which being a Sure Fire, I'm sure it will.  I can't wait to replace my cheap M3 with the Sure Fire on my Glock.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
For a functional comparison of the light output, search around the web for people's opinion of the Surefire L4, which is another 5W light, and it's incandescent twin, the E2.

Usually, people find the L4 beam whiter, smoother, like a floodlamp, and more useful at close-range, whereas the E2 has more "throw" and an intense hotspot.

I prefer the 1W LED on the E1 to the incandescent lamp of the E1.  I don't have a 5w yet.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top