Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2003 4:42:01 PM EDT
Ok, well I think the 659 series is not going to work. My RRA M4 Tac Entry LE rifle has a sling mount which positions the sling mount out at about 9 o'clock position. This sling mount is mounted basically under the front slight tower and is clamped onto the barrel......directly where the 659 would go. I use and like this side mounted sling mount rather the the under side sling mount I also have mounted upfront in the 6 oclock position.

So I then have the 660 or 670 option? I kind of like the 670 series mount because it mounts onto the sight tower(??) and I am kind of paranoid that the 660 might loosen and rotate since it would be clamped onto the barrel.

Does anyone have pics of the 670 series mounted?

Another option would be to mount a light onto the handguard accessory rail. What rail mounted systems or rail mounts out there are really good?

I would like to spend somewhere in the $200-$275 range for an entire setup (mount, light, pressure switch, etc) and want to get the best system I can for the money.

I do NOT want to mount a rail light which was intended to be used on handguns, like the M3, M6, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going with a 950 (or 650 if I remove a section), Fobus M44 handguards and a Fobus mount.  You can do the tape switch, I prefer a standard tailcap.

Right now I've got a 6P mounted (with Z32 anti-shock bezel), but I've got the 950/650 on order.

This is a solid system, quick release, and doesn't affect the barrel harmonics like a barrel clamped system might.

Here's my setup:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15837[/img]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
F4YR:  What do you like about the tailcap switch as opposed to a pressure pad?  I am using a pressure pad now but I'm thinking of replacing it with a tailcap switch and am wondering your reasons for your set up.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So I then have the 660 or 670 option? I kind of like the 670 series mount because it mounts onto the sight tower(??) and I am kind of paranoid that the 660 might loosen and rotate since it would be clamped onto the barrel.

View Quote

Negative.
The 660 WILL NOT budge or rotate when mounted on the barrel. Mine's been beaten and smacked up against just about everything. Not a mm of movement. Excellent setup.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

F4YR:  What do you like about the tailcap switch as opposed to a pressure pad?  I am using a pressure pad now but I'm thinking of replacing it with a tailcap switch and am wondering your reasons for your set up.

Thanks.
View Quote

The pressure pad represents several more failure points.  Cables tend to get snagged and ripped, pads add another switch to fail.

I've already gone through 2 headset cords on my office phone, and I'm easy on those.

I feel the tailcap over much greater reliability.  So far, activation is pretty easy and I don't see a problem with this setup. As you grip the handguard, you just move a knuckle forward with one finger.

I don't have too much trigger time yet to say for certain that I won't run into issues, but I've done some sweeping/clearing runs in the basement and it seems to work well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

The pressure pad represents several more failure points.  Cables tend to get snagged and ripped, pads add another switch to fail.

I've already gone through 2 headset cords on my office phone, and I'm easy on those.

I feel the tailcap over much greater reliability.  So far, activation is pretty easy and I don't see a problem with this setup. As you grip the handguard, you just move a knuckle forward with one finger.

I don't have too much trigger time yet to say for certain that I won't run into issues, but I've done some sweeping/clearing runs in the basement and it seems to work well.
View Quote

Thanks for your imput.  Can the standard tailcap lock out to stay in the on position or are you restricted to momentary only?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for your imput.  Can the standard tailcap lock out to stay in the on position or are you restricted to momentary only?
View Quote

The 6P/G2 tailcaps are momentary when pressed, and can be twisted for continous on.

Twisting can be done with a single finger, if needed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
One is probably better off using momentary on anyway. Unless you are just practicing shooting in the dark, the momentary would be more "tactical". Press in on the tailcap, acquire the target, fire, then kill the light and move as fast as possible. That's how to effectively use a light and survive. Keeping the thing on and trying to hunt your target with a light can be very hazradous to your health. Hehe.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
...hazardous too! Damn typos! LOL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course if you really want to use the light mounted to the front sight you also have the option of doing away with the sling set up as you have it and installing a Knight's QD sling swivel mount which will interface directly onto the M1913 rail of your RAS. I'm running one of those on my FF RAS  MRE equipped M4.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top