Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 11:05:39 PM EDT
I'd hoped Insight would do this.

Just read this evening in "SWAT" mag about milspec versions of the M3 & M6, tagged as MX3 & MX6, respectively. Basically these are waterproofed, whereas the originals were weater resistant. These also allow for the light to be adjusted between holding a tight focus or a wide angle beam (a feature I'm not aware the originals possessed). Claimed battery life for the M6 was 1 hr running time for both light + laser combined, & 24 hrs for the light alone, using Li batteries. Also, in addition to the std picatinney mount, the MX6 will also have an optional "hardened" mount for a tighter repeat-zero.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Any info on when they will be available or what they will cost?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Im looking forward to seeing one.  From the article it sounds like they've made modifications to actually be competition for Surefire.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any info on when they will be available or what they will cost?
View Quote

I don't recall mention of release date or prices, but I do recall that civilian sales will be handled by Streamlight, while Insight will handle gov't sales.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only seen pictures but I believe the run time of the light alone is 1 hour and the laser alond is 24 hours, not the other way around.  That seems to be the trend with most lasers/lights out there that use lithium 123 batteries.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've only seen pictures but I believe the run time of the light alone is 1 hour and the laser alond is 24 hours, not the other way around.  That seems to be the trend with most lasers/lights out there that use lithium 123 batteries.
View Quote

Yeah, I think you're right there. Doesn't make much sense that the [i]light[/i] would be capable of runnig for 24hrs now, does it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've spoken to Streamlight directly, about the new M3x & M6x lights. They said data relating to pricing and release dates would not be available until later this fall.
They had no new info to provide at this time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Running the laser with the light should loggically take 3-4minutes off the lights run time making it 56minutes light laser constant on but who is going to run the laser and light continuously for an hour? (probably 5 minutes of laser time and an hour of light.)

I really am interested in prices these units have some things on Surefire and I'm guessing price will be one of them.

[b]I have a WIlcox Beamer and it is the only other light I know of with ajustable spot to flood.  Nice feature (like a built in turbo head.) [/b]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I posted the running times to serve as a point of reference for the relative efficiencies of the light & laser modules.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#9]
WHY do they show us all a article showing complete units just to tease us when it isn't going to be availible for months??

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WHY do they show us all a article showing complete units just to tease us when it isn't going to be availible for months??
View Quote

Tease = baiting. Hype for a new product, to build anticipation & boost sales once it is released. If I was in their shoes, I'd do the same.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I know it will boost their sales but I really dislike that sales tactic.

I was about to buy a Surefire for my Trp Operator and suddenly I have to wait 3 months to see what is better (the wait will be worth it if I get a better light in a smaller package with a built in laser for a similar price.)

I am used to Iron sights and don't really like lasers but I can see situations where a laser is clearly better or at least nice to have (like when wounded and unable to bring the shooting arm up to eye level but still capable of taking a shot from the hip, or when you need to take a shot from a wierd angle like when hanging from a fence and again limited ability to use sights). Maybe you carry it around and never use it but then again maybe one day it comes in VERY HANDY and really redeems itself.

For that I guess I'll have to wait......
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
At least it will be available. Reading [i]SAR[/i] is more frustrating, since most of the goodstuff it features is either too expensive, or altogether unobtainable.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
By the time Insight have raise the standard of their products to where SureFire have been for years, SureFire will have raised the bar again.

SureFire's work with 5W Luxeons is bound to cross-over to handgun WeaponLights.
No bulb to break. Regulated output for consistantly brilliant white light throughout the runtime.
Smaller, lighter, tougher.

Al
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Good.

Surefire needs some competition.  I love their products and they have the best stuff out there.  Unfortunately they are well aware of that fact, thus they are getting a bit ridiculous with their prices.  

I am really interested in the Millenium or Nitrolon handgun series, but so far, I have passed on buying one, because I really wish they were a bit more 'interchangeable.'  From what I've heard, the Surefires won't fit on standard Picatinny rails (the TRP Operator for instance) without modifications, so if they don't make a adaptor, you could be SOL.  I'm thinking of building a 1911 with a Caspian light rail frame myself, and I would be pissed if my new surefire would not fit without taking a dremel to it.

Likewise, I would like to have ONE handgun light that could be used on multiple handguns.  I already have a couple SF classics that will never be able to mount on anything else, so I think I deserve a truly 'universal' surefire handgun light by now.  Granted that is further complicated by the fact that every manufacturer wanted their own unique style rail, but that seems to be changing to a bit more universal rail system.

Another big compatibility issue is the slim line switch.  I really prefer this over the shuttle switch, but since the slimline switches are not interchangeable, if you get a slimline light, you are forever stuck with that light on one gun model, since the slimlines are different.  So god forbid you sell a gun, you might as well sell the light with it, since it is now useless except as donor parts.  I believe the Insights have a removeable pressure switch that can be used on any handgun.  Of course there is the problem of loose wiring.  That being said, the ultimate setup would be using Surefire's excellent slimline switch, but make them removeable, so you could swap out for a different switch.

Did I mention yet that an improved Insight lineup is looking more and more promising given the shortcomings of the Surefires???

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the nice things on the MX series light is there is also a relieved area along it in the event you manage break the slide lock (and lets say you dont have a spare) You can ziptie it to the forearm of your weapon. Or lets say you dont have an adaptor or your gun doesnt have a mount, you can ziptie it securely.

The originals are adjustable for flood or point. And while surefire makes a great product, they are starting to get real bad on prices.

If you want a regular M3 and your LE you can order one from Impact Guns for $104, if your not LE they had a set with Kydex holster for $129

Here is my M6 on my Armalite with the GG&G UFIR
[url]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/showphoto.php?photo=10927&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[/url]

Im looking forward to the M3X as I would like to get one to stay on my armalite and one to stay on my 9mm AR
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
By the time Insight have raise the standard of their products to where SureFire have been for years, SureFire will have raised the bar again.
View Quote

Surefire doesnt offer a product anything near the size of the M3. They could, but they chose not to. So those who want a small, quick detachable light, buy an M3.

I just ordered a couple replacement "lamps"(bulbs) for my Surefire M500, after it took a dump on me last weekend. Damn those things are expensive!!! $24.00 each. you can get a M3 for the price of a few spare Surefire bulbs. The surefire is brighter, so if your in the military, the surfires is a better choise. But for a home defense weapon, the M3 has more than enought range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The P101 light is the smallest handgun light Surefire makes to fit the TRP operator.  It is priced at $175-$200 and it is almost twice the size of the M6 light and laser combo.

I doubt that makes the P101 better than the Insight light. They both put out 90lumens and both take 2 3v batts. But one is ajustable spot to flood and has a laser built in for $60 more.

I just hope the X series are the same size as it takes Safariland forever to catch up and make a 6004 holster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#18]
thats my concern I have three holsters that fit the M3 I dont want ti have to get new ones, it took forever to get these.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#19]
While we're on the subject: Does the M3 have the ability to mount directly onto the rails of the 50c S.I.R. without an adapter. I have one on my Vertec 96, and when I tried to slip it onto the rail of the SIR , it felt really tight--so I stopped trying.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
It will fit but it is not to the exact same spec.  If you swap repeatedly it will be just a tiny bit loose on your glock spec rail after the plastic wears to the 1913 spec rail.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine does fine on my RIS but I havent tried it on a SIR
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just hope the X series are the same size as it takes Safariland forever to catch up and make a 6004 holster.
View Quote

They appear to be pretty close. Even so, resizing the 6004 is really easy: Hold it over the electric coils (not gas!) of your stove & rotate it some until the kydex is soft; holster the pistol w/ tac light attached & continue heating further if needed; then let it set w/ gun holstered overnight to cool. Will be form-fitted to your particular combination pistol+tac light.

Yes, it really works.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I heard good news the Insight M3X is .1in bigger in only one of three dimensions.  It sounds like it might still fit holsters.

I would worry about melting my holster.

From what I have seen it looked like the M6X was not built with an aluminum body but rather the same polymer body waterproofed.  I could be wrong though. If that was the case size should remain constant.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Hot off the press, Insight's specs on the M3X . . .

[url]http://www.insightlights.com/m3x.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good.

Surefire needs some competition.  I love their products and they have the best stuff out there.  Unfortunately they are well aware of that fact, thus they are getting a bit ridiculous with their prices.  

I am really interested in the Millenium or Nitrolon handgun series, but so far, I have passed on buying one, because I really wish they were a bit more 'interchangeable.'  From what I've heard, the Surefires won't fit on standard Picatinny rails (the TRP Operator for instance) without modifications, so if they don't make a adaptor, you could be SOL.  I'm thinking of building a 1911 with a Caspian light rail frame myself, and I would be pissed if my new surefire would not fit without taking a dremel to it.

Likewise, I would like to have ONE handgun light that could be used on multiple handguns.  I already have a couple SF classics that will never be able to mount on anything else, so I think I deserve a truly 'universal' surefire handgun light by now.  Granted that is further complicated by the fact that every manufacturer wanted their own unique style rail, but that seems to be changing to a bit more universal rail system.

Another big compatibility issue is the slim line switch.  I really prefer this over the shuttle switch, but since the slimline switches are not interchangeable, if you get a slimline light, you are forever stuck with that light on one gun model, since the slimlines are different.  So god forbid you sell a gun, you might as well sell the light with it, since it is now useless except as donor parts.  I believe the Insights have a removeable pressure switch that can be used on any handgun.  Of course there is the problem of loose wiring.  That being said, the ultimate setup would be using Surefire's excellent slimline switch, but make them removeable, so you could swap out for a different switch.

Did I mention yet that an improved Insight lineup is looking more and more promising given the shortcomings of the Surefires???

View Quote

Yup.  Surefire makes good shit, but their products are mostly proprietary, a policy based on greed IMHO, and their prices are [i][b]re-fucking-diculous[/b][/i].

Competition is good.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top