Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 9:26:14 PM EDT
How does the M3 weapon light perform on 12ga shotguns and ARs? How well does it take the recoil? I have been planning to buy one for my Glock and my next long-gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
M3s are great for Glocks but a poor choice for ARs.

They will take the recoil - but to get them to focus decently will often have the lens screwed so far out that the first shot will disassemble the light.

If you don't focus them decent you'll end up with 'dark spots' - some of them big enough to hide a person in at reasonable ranges.

Stick with Surefire for longarms - but the M3 is fine for the shorter range expectations of handguns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Forest appears to speak from experience.
FWIW- my experience matches what he says about this. The only thing I have found is that the vaiation between M3's does allow some to work on a AR. Definatly not the general rule though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My department gave up on them for pistol use after switches and bulbs kept going out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my M3 on my AR.  I got the GGG m3 light rail and have had it for over a year.  I shot a couple of patrol rifle courses with it.

The light rail pointed the beam perfectly. I don't understand what forest means.  I didn't even know the beam was adjustable.  It's great to just be able to pop it on and off quickly.  I don't even bother with the m3 on my glock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the most inexpensive way to mount a Surefire 6P on my Bushmaster.  Gotta love those income tax rebates.  I have access to three M3s but just ordered a Surefire Forend for my 590.  I would like to go cheaper but I know if my heart SF is the best.  Buy the best cry once I say.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Merc-
Surefire sells several adapters for this. You have a choice of a barrel attachment or a front sight post attachment. Decide which is best for you- also the barrel mount is below the barrel while the sight post mounts are next to the barrel.

You can also get a tapeswitch for this flashlight to mount to your rifle so you can use finger pressure to turn it on and off.

IMHO the Surefire beam is much better than the M3 beam. You are making the correct decision.

additionally- Wilson Combat sells a mount too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Mike-  I love Surefire
Off Duty Light- E2EHA
Duty Light- 8X
Wife's Light-G2
Foreend for my Mossberg enrouts.  One for the Bushy in the works.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the most inexpensive way to mount a Surefire 6P on my Bushmaster.
View Quote

1) Don't get the 6P save some $$ and get the G2 - its cheaper, lighter, and handles impacts better.

2) Get the Z32 Shock Resistant Bezel (you'll have to call on the phone for this one).

3) Either use the Fobus light mount (more costly - but lighter and quicker to remove), or go to a sporting goods store and buy a pair of 1" quick detach rings (I got a pair for $5 from Bass Pro).

4) Now you can attach the light via several means - like the M33 or M44 handguards, an rail that mounts to the bottom of the handguards (like the one GG&G or Cav Arms sells), or follow the directions on MD-AR15.com for adding a small section of rail to the handguards or front sight tower.

I ran a course with the G2/Z32/Fobus mount combo mounted to my M33 (using the P60, then P61 bulb).  Only thing I had to watch out for was to make sure the Fobus mount was tight enough (a bit of friction tape helped).

BTW for inside use the P60 bulb is fine. However, for outside use I definately recommend the P61 (if you're sticking with a 6v system) it gives you more range.

but just ordered a Surefire Forend for my 590.
View Quote

For a shotgun make sure you get a dedicated weapon light (e.g. the 600 series).  G2s or 6Ps will not stand up to the recoil of a 12 gauge.

Posted by MarkM
....I don't understand what forest means. I didn't even know the beam was adjustable...
View Quote

Mark, that ring around the front of the lens - if you turn it you can adjust the beam from a 'flood light' to a 'spot light'.  Seems like a nice feature - but the 'spot' is never as focused as a Surefire (that is why I prefer SF).
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Forest.  I ordered a dedicated light for my 590.  What is your favorite source for Surefire stuff?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
IF you wan't to wait awhile, ITT is making a new version of the M3 and M6, they are called the M3X and M6X (very origional, huh? [;)]

Anyway, they are sopposed to take the shock better, and are water proof(as opposed to the water resistant older version).
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Lately I've been ordering my Surefire Stuff right from Surefire Directly (there are stuff you can get directly from them that is not listed on their website).

For the more common stuff I'll bet you could get better deals from some of the vendors here on the board.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW- I personally use Surefire on everything but a pistol light. Some of the guys have M3's on a AR system due to other constraints. Surefire is definatly the preferred light for a long gun.
However, with handguns, the size and weight of the M3 and its holsters are much better than the equivilent Surefire. For a pistol environment only, mind you. The Surefire is much tougher, but at increased cost and size.
I am willing to purchase a replacement M3 rather than use a SF pistol light.

BTW- Surefire is coming out with new lights this fall. It would be nice to see if they make a version of the M3.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I hear there are SureFire WeaponLights in the works too.
I've no idea when they will be released though.

Al
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BTW- Surefire is coming out with new lights this fall. It would be nice to see if they make a version of the M3.
View Quote

They already do.  It uses the P60 & P{61 lamps.  So if you already have a 6P or G2 it will share spare lamp assemblies. They run just over $200 from the Surefire website.

I am replacing my G2/Z32 combo [it was intended as a stop gap measure].  I was trying to decide between the 600 series with a pushbutton tailcap or the P101 ([url]http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/259/prrfnbr/741[/url]).  Then a company rep reported Surefire is comming out with some new longer battery life products (think LED lights that put out 60-65 lumen like the 6P).

I think I'm waiting to upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#15]
SureFire's KL4 is a 5W Luxeon LED Bezel - attached to the E2e body and powered by two SF123A batteries, it 60 Lumens for 60 minutes. Because the output is regulated, the output does not dim during those 60 minutes.

Currently the KL4 bezel is only available as part of the L4 (which is a KL4 on an E2e body with a Z57 Clickie TailCap)

If one makes assumptions, one could assume that SureFire will release a handgun WeaponLight that uses the KL4 bezel.

I have an L4 and an M115D if you'd like a photo to give you an indication of relative size, please email me; [email protected]

Best regards,

Al
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Beretta 1201FP w/ a Surefire dedicated 6 volt forend.  Great setup.
Mike, NY
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know how well it will work on  shotguns?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
The surefire dedicated forearm for the shotgun is the way to go.

The other lights-including the regular hand held surefire flashlights, will have the bulbs fail due to recoil.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#21]
sinastral,
my m3 has lived through a couple of pistol courses and the occasisional use on G35 or AR at the range.  What part broke on yours?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 5 M3s that circulate among several of my & my wife's pistols and carbines.  I wouldn't use them for anything "long-distance," but they are fine for carbines at defensive ranges, IMO.  They are lightweight and affordable and I have been very happy with mine, FWIW.

As has been repeatedly said above, go with the Surefire dedicated forends for your shotguns.  I have them on two of my 870s (actually, one of mine & one of hers) and have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple M3 lights, and a box full of surefire weapon lights and hand helds. I prefer the lighter weight M3 for a QCB carbine or buckshot loaded shotguns.

I only use the Sure fires when long range use is needed.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top