Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 12:40:31 PM EDT
Need some help guys.  Have been reading through some posts about weapon lights, still not sure what I need.

Weapon is a RRA carbine with mid-length handguard.  Don't think I want to go the RAS/FIRSH type route, (seems like my midlength handguard complicates this issue a little),  think I just want to mount the light below the barrel with a tape switch.  Three possibilities I have identified are the Surefire 659, the 660 and also noticed the Classic 9v which appears to be special order only. I probably don't need that much light but I have not eliminated the idea of it.   What do you  guys think, what issues am I missing?  

Thanks in advance, I've always got really good information here.   dg.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Surefire 660 is great! Not to mention a classic.

I've  had one on my M4A3 for a year or two.
Thousands of rounds and not a mm of play or movement. Banged/slammed it from every angle and  
no movement or malfunctions. Have had it in blizzards, frozen in subzero weather, Submerged rained/stormed on covered in dirt and mud and it is still chugging away.

When you first clamp it on your bbl it will change the barrel harmonics and you will have to re-zero the weapon. After re-zeroing you are good to go.

To keep your bulb for a long time remove it when you are shooting at the range in the daytime. Replace it when you are done.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I finally sent off for a 660 (since the 659 requires you to remove the sling swivel, I believe). Should be showing up any day now.

IronBalaclava, how much fiddling around did you have to do to figure out where to attach the tape switch?  I have a Bushy Shorty 16" A3, and I reckon I'll have to figure out which side of the handguard to put it (press with thumb or with fingers?) and also place it where I won't squeeze it during daytime shoots.

Then I'll have to figure out a good, safe way to keep the rifle handy around the house or at night, but not underfoot the rest of the time. (I'm not sure the the wife thinks the AR fits in with the rest of the bedroom furniture.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 659 and have used it on patrol and as a detective serving seach warrants since 1997. You do not have to remove the front sling swivel but I did. SureFire sells a gizzmo called a Z somthing or other that lets you move your front sling swivel onto the lights mount making it not only a light mount but also a side sling swivel.

Here is a pic of mine with the Z thing.
[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/29014123/64312888ytxDMk[/url]

Edited to say that in the pic this rife has both the side sling swivel and the front installed. The rifle is owned by the department and I did not fell like getting into trouble by removing it. The light is mine but the rifle was a lowner.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Z number you write of is the Z36.

Al
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IronBalaclava, how much fiddling around did you have to do to figure out where to attach the tape switch?  I have a Bushy Shorty 16" A3, and I reckon I'll have to figure out which side of the handguard to put it (press with thumb or with fingers?) and also place it where I won't squeeze it during daytime shoots.
View Quote

Hehe. this was actually an issue. Where the tape switch would be accesible but out of the way in adequete daylight.

Most people will attach it smack in the center of the handguard which is VERY easily accidentally activated when gripping or firing the rifle.

The best placement I've found is on the right side on the upper half of the H. Guard at the very end by the front site and gas block.

With the tape switch attached here, you can grip the handguard as you normally do, and when the light is needed use your index finger to activate it. Very simple and effective.

I have a rail and a vert grip now so I mount the tape switch vertically 75% over the grip and 25% over the handguard/RAS. This allows me to grip the vert grip totally and activate the pressure switch at the bottom of the pad with my index finger just like a trigger. Works great.

Then I'll have to figure out a good, safe way to keep the rifle handy around the house or at night, but not underfoot the rest of the time. (I'm not sure the the wife thinks the AR fits in
View Quote

I keep mine with a full mag, chamber empty and always nearby in the house.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions, Iron. I look forward to experimenting (I suppose I could use masking tape to stick the switch in various places while I figure everything out).

I think I'll also follow a tip I got--wrap a section of bicycle innertube around the end of the handguard to secure the switch wire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info, guys.  Several possible problems worked out in advance.  A 660 it is with the switch in the right place and with bicycle innertube.  Luckystiff-  Do you have the m4 lenghth handguard?  I am wondering if the end of the lamp on my carbine/midlenghth handguard will be too near the end of the barrel...?
  dg.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Dog guy,

the only thing that will happen to the 660 being close to the barrel is it will get a light coat of carbon and powder residue on the aluminum housing(No, not on the lens)after a healthy range/CQB whatever session. Wipe it off with a damp rag and your are good to go.

The 660 seires has 4 exterior sections.
Shock isolated bezel, Main body housing, middle housing and tail cap/pressure switch assembly.

For the best reinforced/balanced mounting location, clamp the included Weaver ring around the middle housing(piece that connects main housing/tail cap assembly).

You will notice that the included weaver ring is the EXACT length/diameter of particular piece.

Regards,
IB
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
dogguy: In the pic the light is on an M4 with the M4 handguards. As you can see the light will not fit under the handguards. This is why the ring is clamping down on the tail cap. When I had it on my C8A1/653 copy it fit under the leading edge of the carbine single lined handguards and the ring clamps down on the "middle housing". I have never had a problem with the light being too close to the muzzle and I run this light on 14.5 inch barrels. If you use it on a commando you may have some issues.

This over all pic of my work M4 may help.
[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/29311265/64317003mLWxyw[/url]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top