Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 9:46:23 AM EDT
So which model is the best choice?  This would primarily be for use in my own home, so I don't think I necessarily need the longer range or higher power of the turbo head models.  However I haven't used one of these before, so I really not sure how bright they are.  This would be used with an EOtech 552, so I'm guessing the blue filter would be a nice add-on (to contrast with the red reticle of the EOtech).  Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The 500A w/ standard lamp assembly should do the trick.  With a powered reticle, you probably do not need the blue filter - I never have with an Aimpoint.  ACOG is a different story as the tritium is not bright enought without the help of the fiber optic.

More discussion of the 500A:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=149092&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO, for use in/around the house, the standard 500A gives plenty of light. On both my entry guns I use the 500A with the 125 lumen lamp. The 225 lumen gives a little more light, but indoors it doesn't really help much, unless you have a really long room to light up. The run time is so limited (20 minutes or so) with the 225 lumen lamp that I prefer the 125 for most purposes (I hate having to stop and replace batteries during a building search). The only time I have ever wanted more light on a search was in school buildings with long halls or in warehouses....

For home defense, the more compact 500A is just about perfect....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my M4.  Very nice, very bright.  Clean, sleek, no external wires.  All of our SWAT carbines have them.  The pressure pad is great for light dicipline and is well placed and large enough to accomodate different hand sizes, no groping around for a small pressure switch.  Unfortunately, I have an older model w/o the nav lights.  They would be an asset for their namesake, navigation.
If you're not in a big hurry, be patient and shop around the EE board or gunbroker.  Have seen them in new condition for far less than retail.
Happy Hunting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
M500A with standard lamp.  I have the white nav lights (which are kind of bluish).  Works for me and my EOTech 551/E.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Not trying to steal your post KW951.I have a problem with my aimpoint and m500, I can't see the red dot at night when the light is on. How do you correct this? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not trying to steal your post KW951.I have a problem with my aimpoint and m500, I can't see the red dot at night when the light is on. How do you correct this? Thanks
View Quote

Turn it up brighter?

I have never had this happen with an XD Aimpoint.  A Reflex is another story...
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Turn it up brighter?

View Quote

100% ditto on that...with the exception Im using a ML2 and a 962.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fixed this with the killflash filter.

Without the filter, the triangle washes out [b]BAD[/b] (read gone!)...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#10]
You have to realize that your using a night time setting and when the light comes on you are getting a day time sight picture.  You can either.

A. Have it set to day time brightness all the time and have it be correct with the light no

or

B. Have it set to a night time setting and keep the cover closed and use it as an OEG which works well in bright light but not as well in low light.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Will the M500A work with a TA31, will I still be able to see the red donut?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will the M500A work with a TA31, will I still be able to see the red donut?
View Quote

Here is the answer:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=142762&w=searchPop[/url]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top