Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2002 3:22:46 PM EDT
OK, I initially had problems when I got this thing because it didn't fit my Colt M4 handguards correctly. They don't tell you that in their ad. I bought a FOBUS light mount for quick detach of a shock isolated Surefire 6P and a KAC verticle handgrip. The GG&G UFIR does not mount correctly without drilling out your perfectly good guards AND it is too short to use with a KAC (or any) verticle grip and FOBUS mount. The beauty of this board is that the expertise here steered me toward: 1) an Eotech 552 (wahoo! cool gear) 2) fluted 16" barrel on a Bushy flattop (second that wahoo!) 3) good cheap SA .223 ammo (third wahoo). I bought this GG&G UFIR without any recommendations, and general posted intimations of trouble with Colt M4 handguards and no other glowing reports. I wish the fine folks at GG&G would tell us this i their ads. I wouldn't have bought it if they did. Ya'll have saved me mucho time and wasted money so I pass on this mistake so no one here will make it: Skip this worthless overpriced compromise to nowhere POS mount. Get another product that is full length or let Santa drop a RAS or RIS in your stocking.
Cheers, Cleophis
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info.  I was looking at this option as a cheap way to mount a M900.  I'll save my cash.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
cleophis,

thanks for posting your experiences. I'm glad that you did since I am considering getting the same equipment.

What was it about the UFIR that wasn't compatible with your handguards?

Also, was your light mount different than the one they feature on their web site?

[url]http://www.gggaz.com/products/offset_vf_mount.php[/url]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a nearly endless variety of handguard variations/matirials. The GG&G products are designed to work with original milspec CAR15 type handguards.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The GG&G UFIR mounting screws simply did not mate up with my Colt M4 handguards, nor my Colt slim shorty guards, nor my Colt full length.  I think it DID mate up with Bushmaster short guards.  The third screw hole was offset, requiring a drilling out of the guard hole.  Further, the rail, IMHO, needs to be an inch longer.  Why doesn't GG&G simply extend the rail an inch and add an extra hole so that their overpriced slab of notched aluminum fits ALL guards?  Either that, or tell us that the thing doesnt fit ALL guards in their sales hype.  It would be a very simple thing to make this work.  So, their quality control sucks (I got a boofoo'd rail) or their design department sucks.  I'm not some lone retard crying out in the night because he can't figure out such a simple task as affixing three screws;  this problem with the dumbass GG&G ripoff mount is prevalent.  AR15 Fan, btw, always appreciate your posts and all your help!  Ya'll have a good thanksgiving!
Cleophis
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Rest assured - you are not the only one. I was disappointed when the screw holes didn't mate up on my Colt handguards or my friend's Bushmaster handguards. I hate recommending a product and then it doesn't meet expectations.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
GG&G either has a quality control problem or didnt think this thing out.  All they needed to do was extend it about a half inch and add a new hole.  The thing could then be used on ANY standard handguard.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
GG&G has recently introduced an inexpensive Under Forearm Integrated Rail (UFIR) that permits instant installation and removal of a number of different vertical foregrips on the AR15/M16 weapon series, as well as flashlights and numerous other accessories. The GG&G UFIR can easily be installed onto the underside of an AR15/M16 foregrip, standard or M4, using simple hand tools and a small amount of 262 Loctite. The three point mounting system insures a solid, rugged mounting platform. Installation does not require permanent alteration to the foregrip. Detailed instructions and all of the parts required are supplied in the kit. The UFIR is manufactured from 6061 T6 aluminum, is hard coat anodized flat black per mil spec and is machined to MIL-STD-1913 specifications.
View Quote

Huh? This is from their site.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
And FIRSH costs just a little more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The GG&G rail is a POS.  Their ad is a carnival bark.  I paid $50 for an ill fitting slab of black aluminum.  I recommend any other product that is longer and actually fits what the advertiser says.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
How much would you want to sell your UFIR for?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've already drilled and reamed an old set of guards and attached it.  But I'd remove it and swap for whatever it would cost me to get another company's product that works.  To me, this is a classic case of put this thing in production and sell it before thinking it through.  If it was 1" longer and had an extra hole it would fit everything.  See, this is how I would do it:  Buy a set of example handguards made by everyone:  Bushy full, Bushy short, Bushy M4, Colt long, Colt short carbine, Colt M4, then a couple milspec.  Then, get a piece of rail that you are going to mill and place it on all the guards and mark where the holes are.  Then drill an extra hole so this thing works on ALL guards!  All I want to do is get a better rail so swap me and I'll take this one off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just get a one piece Weaver base like a T-09 (for a 10/22), drill it to match the holes in the hanguard then shorten to whatever length you want?  Cost would be about $6.00.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Heck, that's a great idea.  Same amount of labor and material as the GG&G.  You can't say GG&G had to build in R&D costs because it doesn't appear that they did any on this UFIR.  Had they done so it would have an extra hole and be 1/2" to 1" longer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone on the board posted about the Advanced Armament handguard mount for both the M4 or regular CAR handguards.  Their price was around $25.  I thought I would give them a try, so I ordered one.  The mount is black anodized aluminum and is very nice.  It fit my M4 handguard perfectly.  The only catch I had to work with was the inner lining of the handguard.  I had to slide the nuts that were provided with the mount in between the metal liners and work them into place with a scewdriver.  (Advanced Armament's instructions state that the inner liner would have to be removed.  That would have destroyed my inner liner because it's glued in place.)  I'm very happy with the mount.  I would highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought the advanced armament rail and swiss foregrip as a set.  The set was $45.00 total.  That is as much as the the UFIR from GG&G by itself!  

And it fit perfectly.  As martinmayhem advised, the instructions stated you had to remove the inner heat shield.  But I just dropped the bolt in between, lined them up, and was done in five minutes.

And the quality is first rate!!!

And the price is right to.

I would say this is the best deal I have seen so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm...this AAC rail (mini and full length) seem like the way to go.  Unfortunately, I already bought the GGG Down and Dirty mount for my L60 light.  Unlike a rail setup where one would use some type of quick detach mount that would hold the light onto the rail, the D&D mount actually holds the light and attaches to the handguard.  This way, if you had to take of the light, you would need to take the whole thing off [url]http://www.gggaz.com/products/dandd.php[/url].  But with the AAC rail, all I need is a QD setup to mount my light onto the AAC rail[url]http://www.advanced-armament.com/[/url].  Go to the products section to see their rail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I also highly recommend the AAC combo,it fits perfect and great service!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I was disappointed also to find that the holes didn't line up perfectly on the Colt handguards but I just machined my way through it (manipulated the holes with a drill press). The vertical grip GG&G sells fit, along with the FirstSAMCO mount I ordered from Fulton Armory. Truth be told, the machining resulted in a more solid mount than I would have had without it.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3050[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#19]
That's my point. When you have to pay twice as much for a GG&G poorly thought out piece of misadavertised overpriced crap, well, you shouldn't have to retrofit, modify, rig, etc.  The AAC mount is half the price and apparently fits the things it is advertised to fit.  Plenty of GG&G complaints, havent heard any re the AAC.  This GG&G UFIR episode causes me to pause before buying any of their other products.  Based on recommendations here I've bought Bushy uppers, Eotech552, ARMS 2 mount, ARMS 40 BUIS, a KAC RAS, Surefire 6P, KAC access., Badger rings, Leupold M3, SA ammo, etc.  Everything top notch but this GG&G UFIR which I hadn't heard about.  That was my last attempt at winging it without ya'lls thumbs up.  Hopefully this post will save someone my $50 headache.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How much would you want to sell your UFIR for?

IPSC_GUY sends
View Quote

Still interested in buying my UFIR?  Bought a RAS.  Have all the screws and just had to bugger up a handguard, not the mount.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I just installed a FIRSH on my 9mm A2 midlength upper and it is awesome.  The EOTech 552 co-witnesses perfectly with the FIRSH.  I would highly recommend one of them.  Mark at TripleBreakProducts was very good to deal with and my FIRSH arrived yesterday. Considering I ordered it Christmas eve I am very pleased!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I just mounted my M-6 using a Bushmaster mount ($69.95).  It fits under the front sight and does not interfere with the sling loop.  Mounted the M-6 below the barrel and sighted the laser in at 50 yards.  Per the JBM Ballistics Calculator, the trajectory is never more than 1.4" above or below POA out to 75 yards.  I'm happy with this set-up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a GG&G UFIR a while back ( 4 mos) and it mounted fine on my Colt M4 handguards. I have since removed it and mounted it on my Colt Commando handguards. Seems to work well so far. Have you tried calling GG&G. aybe it was just a bad rail. They should replace it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]
My GG&G UFIR didn't fit on my Colt M4 handguards in the same manner as noted.  I did notice that the holes in the UFIR lined up perfectly with the vent holes in my standard Bushmaster handguards.  

The difference is that the Colt handguards have more ventholes than "standard" AR handguards.

AAC on the other hand sells a separate rail for the both type rails, which is the correct solution.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, GG&G should say something in their ad instead of suggesting that the UFIR fits almost all handguards.  For pete's sake, you'd think they'd design them to fit Colt M4's.  They owe us as customers to tell us what this thing won't fit without modification.  Anybody want to buy my UFIR?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top