Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2002 9:57:30 AM EDT
I am about to buy my first surefire light to hang off of the M4 and was thinking the G2 Nitrolon might be the ticket. Anyone have any opinions?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would reccomend a weapons mounted light, not a handheld light. The G2 has no shock isolated bezel (and there is no nitrolen shock bezel available for upgrade). Weapon mounted lights are more expensive, but they are built for the task. Handheld lights are not. Handheld lights may be able to fill the role somewhat, but you can also hammer a nail in with a rock.

My suggestion would be to go with either one of their classic 660 series lights or, better yet, one of the newer and incredibly modular M95 series lights.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The best price I could find on the M-95 is $200.00. Is that the best anyone has seen? How much damage to a none shock isolated bezel lamp will the recoil do? I have seen a Streamlight scorpion go thousnds of rounds on the end of an M-4 and it is still fine.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
www.sableco.net is an awesome dealer to buy from. He sells the entire Surefire line. He has some of the more common 2 cell M95xx lights for under $200. He also only charges actual shipping, not some inflated shipping and handling costs.

I really think the extra money is worth it. The weapon specific lights do more than shock isolate the bezel. While the shock bezel may be the most improtant difference in some people's minds, there are other differences as well. Weapons lights seperate the batteries from the bulb. This will prevent your batteries from banging into the bulb with every shot.

The G2 you mention is a wonderful light. But it is not a weapons light. Surefire does not reccomend you use it as such. Is this merely because they want you to spend the extra money for their weapons lights? I have read some people on the board make that very statement. I dont buy it.

Do you need all the precautions offered by the weapons mounted system? Ultimately thats up to you. Clearly there are members of our board who think you dont need them. Some of them have used hand held lights on their AR's for quite some time without a problem. But under what conditions?

What you expect to use the light equipped rifle for should also play an important role in your decision. Duty guns, guns that you may depend your life on, and anything other than the dedicated range rifle, IMHO, deserve the additional security and durability built in to the Surefire Weapons lights. For rifles like this, its not the odds that matter, its the stakes!

They are some serious lights and cost some serious money. There is nothing on the market which come remotely close to even approaching Surefire's designs, durability, versatility, cratmanship, quality material, customer service etc. I'll own nothing else until another company can get it together.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you mounting it on a rail system like the RAS or SIR?  If so you should consider the M900 series vertical foregrip lights.  I have one on my M4 and it's AWESOME (see pic).
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top