Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2002 1:48:48 PM EDT
Sorry if I ask a hacked to pieces question, but you guys did such a good job putting me on my Eotech 552 and ARMS40!  My setup:  Bushy flattop preban fluted 16" on Colt 6601 lower, Eotech 552 + ARMS40, full A2 stock (I'm more partial to a full stock).  Want to mount a tac light on the lower handguard on a shorter mount, removeable so that I don't have the light hanging there all the time. ALSO, want a taclight I can use as a flashlight as well.

I'm thinking a Surefire 6P (new version), with maybe a GG&G under rail setup (UFIR ?), and some form of QD ring that will allow me to remove it.  Also, can I get a pressure switch setup as an accessory?  Also, might want to actually mount a forward grip to check it out.  Is this workable with that reenforced bezel, etc.?  What do I need to get and from whom (best price)?  Is this sensible?  I'm not a SEAL professional goblin hunter, but do want nice gear that will hold up if I'm keeping the homegrown standard issue goblin out of my house at night or the possums out the garbage ;)  Plenty thanks in advance,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this thread out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=139970

The discussion's about rails, from the short ones to the UFIR that I have on Colt M4 handguard (but no longer use).

I'm about in the same situation as you, wanting to try out the principle of a light on a weapon.  I use my AR's at the range only, so I wasn't in need of the dedicated weaponlights.

I've got Surefire 6P's mounted on the bottom of my two AR's, one on a SIR and the other on a RAS.  You're looking at the same principle as I have, only you are going to use a rail on a handguard.

Here's the SIR:

Full length pics of both:

I have the Z32 shock isolated bezels on both of them.  I bought the lights and one KAC mount from Brad at Lightfighter, the other KAC mount from MSTN, and the Z32 bezels from Lagger Pro.

I like the additional length of the KAC mounts over the scope ring method, especially since I shoot quite a bit from the prone supported position.  I end up putting pressure on the mounted light when shooting this way, which I feel the longer KAC mount handles better than a scope ring would.

I'm going to be trying a Fobus (First Samco) polymer quick detach light mount on the RAS.  I need the quick detach so I can readily remove the grip.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Beaucoup thanks for the pic and info.  Will probably go to an underrail setup like you've got.  Where on the MSTN sight is that light mount?  Looks much better than a ring setup for the reasons you stated.  Does it dismount easily?  On the Knight's grip, does it dismount easily?  Thanks again Chris!
Craig
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Beaucoup thanks for the pic and info.  Will probably go to an underrail setup like you've got.  Where on the MSTN sight is that light mount?  Looks much better than a ring setup for the reasons you stated.  Does it dismount easily?  On the Knight's grip, does it dismount easily?  Thanks again Chris!
Craig

Craig - I know I had called MSTN at the time I purchased the mount.  KAC was doing a redesign of the mount, so everyone was out.  The one I purchased from MSTN was a demo that they had, and from the design of it, probably one of the first production models.

You can send them an e-mail, or call them about it.

On mounting/dismounting:

On the SIR, I leave the light mount on, since the grip installs/removes via the rear of the rail.  It's independent of the light mount.

With my RAS, I have to install/remove the grip via the front of the rail, so the KAC mount prevents a quick & easy removal because of its slotted or allen head screws.

Now I'm trying this Fobus light mount, which has a push-button release.  

It is polymer, but very solid construction and grip on the light.  Tolerances varied towards the TIGHT side, so I had to do slight filing so it wasn't so damn difficult to install/remove.

So far, without having fired the weapon with it installed, this Fobus light mount looks to be the perfect solution for my RAS, with the length of the KAC mount, but with quick-detach ability so I can install/remove the grip easily.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Indeed, you da man Chris.  Anticipated my next questions re the Samco/Fobus mount.  Found it at Sableco for $23.  Might try that ARMS 23 forward grip as with the Fobus and ARMS 23 they can both pop on and off independently.  How difficult is it to remove the KAC or GG&G forward grips?  Appreciate the critique of the Fobus/Samco. Looks like the answer.  thanks again bro,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Indeed, you da man Chris.  Anticipated my next questions re the Samco/Fobus mount.  Found it at Sableco for $23.  Might try that ARMS 23 forward grip as with the Fobus and ARMS 23 they can both pop on and off independently.  How difficult is it to remove the KAC or GG&G forward grips?  Appreciate the critique of the Fobus/Samco. Looks like the answer.  thanks again bro,
Craig

Craig - I've got a few AR accessories in my Plano fishing (actually "shooting") box that I know someone on AR15.com had purchased but didn't post their experiences with it, that I purchased and ended up putting away because they just didn't work.

Also, it would be nice to be able to afford ALL of the best items available for AR's, but for me with my wife and three kids, that's not always possible.  In the case of a weaponlight, a Surefire M900 or 962P would be nice, but too much for just wanting to experiment with the principle.

I do try and stick with accessories that I would use as an active duty soldier -  solid, dependable "soldier-proof" stuff that has an actual purpose.

I don't know about a GG&G grip, but the KAC grip slides on/off the rail, and has a screw going through it, the head being at the bottom, that you twist to tighten/loosen on the rail.

I haven't tried the ARMS grip, but I think I'd prefer the straight up & down angle and design of the KAC.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again Chris.  I'll probably go with the KAC foregrip now that I know how it attaches.  I though it was some kind of allen or hexhead setup like a scope mount.  I'm just experimenting with verticle grips.  BTW, does the antishock Z32 bezel cure the 6P problems as a weapon attachment that I've read about?  What have been your experiences.  Sorry for all the dumbass questions, but this is all a new thing for me, being an M1 Garand / M1A guy until my 6601 HBAR started dumping those little bullets all in one little ragged hole ;)  Appreciate your time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks again Chris.  I'll probably go with the KAC foregrip now that I know how it attaches.  I though it was some kind of allen or hexhead setup like a scope mount.  I'm just experimenting with verticle grips.  BTW, does the antishock Z32 bezel cure the 6P problems as a weapon attachment that I've read about?  What have been your experiences.  Sorry for all the dumbass questions, but this is all a new thing for me, being an M1 Garand / M1A guy until my 6601 HBAR started dumping those little bullets all in one little ragged hole ;)  Appreciate your time.

Let me give you an idea of my shooting arrangement over here.  I'm stationed here in Korea, and there is no way for me to fire my AR's anywhere other than my unit M16 ranges, which I happen to run.

And there's the problem - I've been the only person to run the tower, so it's hard for me to shoot.  This past Tuesday we had a range with about 6000 excess rounds to shoot (end of the fiscal year), and I didn't fire a single one.  Just too damn busy.

Anyway, this means that I haven't had much of a chance to work out the 6P's.  Also, I've never really used the standard bezels, having switched them out for the Z32's right when I bought them.

Fobus light mount update - It was REALLY pissing me off!  Seems the rail mating surface tapered toward the front, resulting in the mount being VERY difficult to remove.  Had to file the rail mating surface even more, so now the mount fits good.

While I was trying to remove the mount from the rail, I had yanked the light right out.  I don't think I had enough of the light's knurled surface engaging the mount's light mounting clamps.  

I inserted the 6P deeper into the mount, then tightened the HELL out of the clamp and loctited the screw, so I'll have to see if the light shifts whenever I get a chance to shoot.

I'm now thinking back to the KAC mounts, and that they now come with thumbscrews, so if I can get a hold of four of the thumbscrews, that might be a good deal.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Really appreciate that heads up on the Fobus!  At $29 it seems almost too good.  I presupposed that the problem would be the rail locking mechanism being wobbly due to one catch and not enough pressure on the rails.  I see they overcompensate for that by manufacturing them overly tight.  I aint no engineer, but if the KAC has two locking screws, now w/o tool removal, that seems to be a better route.  I just saw how Surefire in their FAQ's discourages 6P weapon use.  Then again, that makes everyone spend more duckies on their other products.  I'm sure someone is out there who has run alot of rounds / used a 6P on an AR.  Sounds like your job is purgatory bro....Like being a diabetic working in a candy shop ;)  You need that "quiet time" on the range with 6K rounds.  Thanks again Chris.
Craig
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Craig - Here's mounts from TRG ( www.trgear.com ), which are in military use:

The TRG Weapon Accessory Mount:

and Weapon Flashlight Mount:

Mounted:

In military use:

The product pics are from Lightfighter's website, and his price is $38.  TRG has them for $29.95 on their website.

With the big knobs it's a "flintstone" looking mount, but it's probably pretty sturdy.

Might be worth a try.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Chris,
Great pic and link.  Got the Fobus light mount on the way. Will try it and report back.  The TRG does look Flintstone, BUT it looks sturdier than the Fobus.  News at 11 and tks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top