Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 7:28:47 PM EDT
Yesterday marked one year!

I work in downtown Chicago and live in Indiana.  I ride the train in and out of the city five days a week.  I carry an AR15 and four 30 round magazines, as well as all of my work stuff (papers, tablet, etc...), in a "stealth" backpack by Elite Survival Systems.  It was costly at $170 but nobody has every raised any red flags and I get to sit in my office all day knowing I can take care of any situation that may arise.  I walk past thousands of people each day, and walk past security to get into my building, and nobody has ever even hinted that they suspect I'm carrying some major firepower.  

I just wanted to let you know it's a hell of a bag if you're looking to carry a concealed AR15.  I don't work for the company or anything.  

And before the keyboard commandos start to berate me...  yes, I am well aware of the risks if I need to use it.  I know I'll get fired.  I know the train cops will arrest me.  I know I'm up for a trial.  No need to play internet attorney here!  I'd rather have it...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Better judged by twelve than carried by six. I understand, but keep PERSEC/OPSEC in mind.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yeah!
TCB ...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume you don't walk through metal detectors on your route.

Well done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Op, How long have you been doing this & How many bad guys have you had to use it on?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Brave or stupid ........ good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op, How long have you been doing this & How many bad guys have you had to use it on?
View Quote
Yesterday marked one year! 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Well at least you got balls!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
link?  Pics?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
One year

None

What's your point?  I was a cop for 8 years and never had to use my gun.  I'm still glad I had it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guy who posted this response is a jackass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Ballsy, I'll give you that...

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, you should post some pics over in the gear form.  I would like to see your setup.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a big pack and the gun is broken down and thus slow to deploy.  Why not carry a handgun in a smaller and less noticeable pack or briefcase that is instantly deployed?

I know the rifle provides more firepower but most situations where you need a gun you need it right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a big pack and the gun is broken down and thus slow to deploy.  Why not carry a handgun in a smaller and less noticeable pack or briefcase that is instantly deployed?

I know the rifle provides more firepower but most situations where you need a gun you need it right now.
View Quote
Yea this. However, as a born and raised Chicagoan I feel your pain and have zero problem illegally carrying guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Protecting oneself is certainly prudent.

Breaking laws and bragging about it on the internet, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One year

None

What's your point?  I was a cop for 8 years and never had to use my gun.  I'm still glad I had it.
View Quote
Since you now state in your post that you understand the risk, I have no point.
Do what you want.

Just understand that posting this stuff, admitting to a crime on an open forum, that is known to be monitored by the authorities is never a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Can't say I would do that, but not my ass out there.  I would probably carry a pistol though with a bunch of mags to minimize size and time from realizing there is a threat to actually being able to put rounds at said threat
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Guy who posted this response is a jackass.
View Quote
I see your from NM, live in a state where you have to deal with Rabid Anti-Gun authorities like the op does for a few years then you'll understand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#22]
"...knowing I can take care of any situation that may arise."

I guess it's like what they say, when your only tool is a rifle, every problem starts to look like a range target.

In the real world, though, that statement smacks of a dangerous mix of ignorance and hubris.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to state the obvious but there are free states and safer cities. It would take allot of money to keep me somewhere like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Curious if OP would link the exact bag?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, you might want to edit your posts.  If you're not lying, you've given out quite a bit of information.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ballsy, I'll give you that...

http://i67.tinypic.com/vxjdbn.jpg
View Quote
What bag is that?

ETA: NVM found it. http://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-bags-packs/stealth-covert-operations-rifle-backpack/
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, now that I think of it, I should take it all back. I'm pretty worried I'll be found within the crowd of 250,000+ people who commute via train to a city with over 3 million people.

Ignore my original post!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Good for you.  People need to quit asking for permission.  When you do you have given away your freedom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, you might want to edit your posts.  If you're not lying, you've given out quite a bit of information.
View Quote
Why?

He's from IN, so he's taking the South Shore line, an Indiana line. They aren't going to enforce the prohibition against public transit in IL since it's legal in IN.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why?

He's from IN, so he's taking the South Shore line, an Indiana line. They aren't going to enforce the prohibition against public transit in IL since it's legal in IN.

Carry on.
View Quote
I see you're feeling really smart right now because you can figure out which train line I probably take. You're a real, true to life investigator!  I'll get you a plastic policeman's badge so you can show all your friends. Maybe your mom will be really proud too and give you a little pat on the bottom when she learns you're a big boy and figured this out all by yourself. You'll get to join the FBI because they'll see the value of you figuring out this mystery that was pretty much unsolvable until you came along.

I'll tell you I ride from the Hammond station and I work on Wabash. Come find me and I'll give you a lollipop and your badge.

Oh, and I will carry on!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, good luck.... Outing yourself in enemy territory doesn't seem like the wisest course of action though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Brave or stupid ........ good luck to you.
View Quote
THIS. There are some moments you just can NOT be totally prepared for in life. To put yourself at risk of losing your job, arrest, trial, etc.... for the RARE off chance that you'd benefit from a rifle is well.... as poster I quoted just said well.

Could you make do with a handgun instead? What are the odds that you'd NOT be (almost) as adequate with a handgun vs the AR?
When not at home, your priority (in a bad situation) is to GET HOME (you're not defending a homestead while traveling, nor are you EXPECTING a major firefight, NOR should you be partaking in one).
In the time it would take you to deploy that rifle... you should be getting OUT of there instead (as obviously you are not in immediate threat if you have the time to assemble it).
IMHO, you are kind of dreaming, and it may eventually make things WAY worse for you. Just my .02
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  When not at home, your priority (in a bad situation) is to GET HOME (you're not defending a homestead while traveling, nor are you EXPECTING a major firefight, NOR should you be partaking in one).
In the time it would take you to deploy that rifle... you should be getting OUT of there instead (as obviously you are not in immediate threat if you have the time to assemble it).
IMHO, you are kind of dreaming, and it may eventually make things WAY worse for you. Just my .02
View Quote
Well, as the Amish are proving, firefights can start anywhere, and your priority as an ARFCOMmer should be to end it as quickly as possible before the Amish vest goes off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, as the Amish are proving, firefights can start anywhere, and your priority as an ARFCOMmer should be to end it as quickly as possible before the Amish vest goes off.
View Quote
Or.... in the time it would take to assemble said AR.... you could get out of there

ETA: I should add, there is this psychology of "hero complex". Most rational people would prepare, but hope not to use things. Then there are those that kind of WISH/WANT to use things (at their, or others, peril). They carry things (to keep it "generic") they know are not practical, nor possibly useful for a given task, but have dreams of being the "hero" who saves the day because they did have it.
It's fantasy, and one that could get one into LOTS of trouble VERY quickly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or.... in the time it would take to assemble said AR.... you could get out of there

ETA: I should add, there is this psychology of "hero complex". Most rational people would prepare, but hope not to use things. Then there are those that kind of WISH/WANT to use things (at their, or others, peril). They carry things they know are not practical, nor possibly useful for a given task, but have dreams of being the "hero" who saves the day because they did have it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well, as the Amish are proving, firefights can start anywhere, and your priority as an ARFCOMmer should be to end it as quickly as possible before the Amish vest goes off.

ETA: I should add, there is this psychology of "hero complex". Most rational people would prepare, but hope not to use things. Then there are those that kind of WISH/WANT to use things (at their, or others, peril). They carry things they know are not practical, nor possibly useful for a given task, but have dreams of being the "hero" who saves the day because they did have it.
Ah, yes, OP wants to be a hero.  Let's be clear.  The likelihood of an Amish attack in your AO is very, very slim.  But if they attack in your AO, and you have a weapon to hand, use it.  That's what it's for, and why the militia is armed in the first place.  Don't slink away.

I think OP is nuts to be bragging about this in public.  But I certainly understand his wish to be armed.  I carry a SUB-2000 as a secondary in the car, and it's small enough to carry around in my neon murse.  I sure as hell am not looking for trouble.  But if someone starts shouting Amish words of praise, I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ah, yes, OP wants to be a hero.  Let's be clear.  The likelihood of an Amish attack in your AO is very, very slim.  But if they attack in your AO, and you have a weapon to hand, use it.  That's what it's for, and why the militia is armed in the first place.  Don't slink away.

I think OP is nuts to be bragging about this in public.  But I certainly understand his wish to be armed.  I carry a SUB-2000 as a secondary in the car, and it's small enough to carry around in my neon murse.  I sure as hell am not looking for trouble.  But if someone starts shouting Amish words of praise, I'll be ready.
View Quote
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm talking about the OP's situation and choice of "things" (again, to be generic). I'm not talking about militia, nor homestead, nor any of that. I'm just saying a handgun would be sufficient for his needs/situation (and faster to deploy) without (assuming he can legally do so) all the other negatives.
Choices, it's all about making the proper/practical ones.
Sorry if I came off wrong
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm talking about the OP's situation and choice of "things" (again, to be generic). I'm not talking about militia, nor homestead, nor any of that. I'm just saying a handgun would be sufficient for his needs/situation (and faster to deploy) without (assuming he can legally do so) all the other negatives.
Choices, it's all about making the proper/practical ones.
Sorry if I came off wrong
View Quote
No worries.  Perhaps OP figgers he might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.  One of the reasons I carry a rifle about is our official no handgun signs have the force of law - so I leave my Glock in the car, and carry my rifle in.  Not as fast to deploy, but just as no one expects the Spanish Inquisition...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I see you're feeling really smart right now because you can figure out which train line I probably take. You're a real, true to life investigator!  I'll get you a plastic policeman's badge so you can show all your friends. Maybe your mom will be really proud too and give you a little pat on the bottom when she learns you're a big boy and figured this out all by yourself. You'll get to join the FBI because they'll see the value of you figuring out this mystery that was pretty much unsolvable until you came along.

I'll tell you I ride from the Hammond station and I work on Wabash. Come find me and I'll give you a lollipop and your badge.

Oh, and I will carry on!  
View Quote
Please keep in mind this is a technical forum and not GD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Goodbye!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top