Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:50:36 PM EDT
I've been using my Noveske NSR handguards for several years now and I've never found a sling mount to suit my desires:

• I've run the IWC Keymod QD mount but the mount + QD/sling sticks out more than necessary, plus the rifle wants to cant awkwardly when I'm wearing it slung and let it hang.

• I've run the IWC 45° Offset and Magpul RSA-QD mounts and they are perfect when the rifle is slung as it cants the rifle nicely. However I don't see the need to mount my QD sling mount at 12 o'clock which may or may not interfere with future sighting/lighting choices I want to make for the top rail. The Wilson Combat 10-2 mount would be another example of these 45° offset mounts.

Being stubborn and dissatisfied I'd contacted Noveske to see if the slots on the NSR handguards that are at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 & 10:30 positions conformed to any known standard. They are quite close (but not close enough!) to matching the MOE standard. Noveske support had replied these slots were for lightening only and served no other purpose. My dream was that these NSR slots could use an existing QD mount that was perhaps for MOE or similar but no luck.

As I said, I am stubborn and know that I could get the 45° offset mount I want and without having to mount it up top on the 1913 rail. What I discovered with further research (and waiting for new products on the market) was that Geissele makes a "45° Quick Detach Swivel Mount" for their SMR handguards. I ordered one from Geissele, and while it still would not work on these NSR lightening slots, it was the closest I'd yet to try. So close that I risked throwing away my $41 and decided to try to make the Geissele QD mount work.

I have been working with an up and coming machine company that already manufactures various excellent quality AR15 mounts for MOE, Troy, KeyMod, rails. Their quality and finish are top notch. I know this is counter to the plug and play market and sort of creates a single use product for a niche item like the NSR handguard. I'm posting this for NSR owners to see and gauge interest in whether a mount like this would be wanted in high enough quantities to make a production run of them. It's not a final quote, but the idea is that they could make their own variant of a mount like this that would work on NSR lightening slots and market for $20-$40 but probably near the lower end of that price range.

Please post a reply if you're interested (this is not a total commitment) in a mount like this for your NSR rail so we can gauge an approximate market for it. I will gain nothing on this, if the mounts are made I'll benefit by being able to purchase more of these since I own many NSRs and wouldn't mind putting one on each side for ambi usage since I'm a lefty most of the time.

Highlights of this mount would be:

• Solid, no forward/rearward movement or play in any direction

• 45° offset mount with 4-way limited rotation

• tucked in tight to the handguard but does not interfere with the top 1913 rail, or with the side KeyMod slots

• Puts the mount right where you need it being not too far forward, nor too far rearward to interfere with the ejection port for left handed use.

Here are my results:

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own an NSR's but you should Fire your dura coat guy, or at least get a free touch up

Z
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha! It's a tool not a beauty queen. That KeyMod duracoat damage is my bad removing an IWC sling mount.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I have noticed that the newer open source rail system, M-LOK, is leading to rails that have rail slots at 45 degrees, allowing any and all M-LOK accessories, including sling QD cups, to be directly mounted at 45 degree.  I don't see many, if any, KeyMod rails made this way.

The Geissele Mk8 M-LOK has this feature.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The BCM KMR and KAC URX4 both have 45° KeyMod rails and there are probably others I cannot think of right now. Yes, I'd rather have one of those rails but I'm already setup with several NSRs so this small QD mount adaptation gives my NSR what I otherwise would not have: a direct attach, non-offset 45° QD sling mount. The NSR was the first of its kind and thus is missing on the next generation of thinking like 45° KeyMod slots that obviously makes more sense than otherwise useless "lightening slots".
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I would for sure be interested in these. Especially if they can come cerakoted colors.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would for sure be interested in these. Especially if they can come cerakoted colors.
View Quote

Hadn't considered colors, black anodized would be standard for sure.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top