Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:42:37 PM EDT
Here's what I am working with.

Here's the reason I can't put a p-rail mounted swivel here.

The rest of the gun.

As you may be able to see, the short rail piece is a new addition.

It's my wife's carbine.  She's new at this, but she's trying.  She's taken the philosophy "a rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster" to heart and she really wants a sling.  I've suggested a single point sling and using a different carbine end-plate.  I started doing some research and I am officially bewildered by the sling choices.

I guess I am hoping to get some pics showing how some of these things work and mount.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a troy or magpull single point sling adapter that mounts under the castle nut on the buffer tube.  Then get a single point sling from gear sector.

http://troyind.com/PGRSA.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm personally not a fan of single point slings.  They flop around too much for my tastes.  Try one of these fro the front sling:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=81
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
While I agree about the floppy single point problem, she's OK with it.  I'm the husband here, I don't get a vote.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Well then get an endplate adapter or adapter that mounts on the nut. DD, MI, GG&G are all good.

Just a thought, but get a nice, (preferably one piece) free float picatinny forend and install it and the sling mounting options are numerous. Plus you can mount a light and laser, VFG plus whatever else she might desire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue Force Gear's UWL adapter.

I've never worked with a chick who likes singlepoints. Depending on the model and how they wear it, either too much pressure on one shoulder from the strap, or major league chafe-age of the boobs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well then get an endplate adapter or adapter that mounts on the nut. DD, MI, GG&G are all good.

Just a thought, but get a nice, (preferably one piece) free float picatinny forend and install it and the sling mounting options are numerous. Plus you can mount a light and laser, VFG plus whatever else she might desire.

I tried to talk her into a free-float forend.  No go.  She prefers the conventional handguards.  I suspect that she's doing it just to not emulate one of my guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing that she will not like a single point. They work well in a very limitied roll and that roll is dynamic entry/house clearing. They are great for short term use when the weapon will be in your hands the entire time and you might need to switch shoulders or transition to a sidearm quickly.

As a general purpose combat sling or carry method they suck. Besides the weapon swinging around freely a single point doesn't distribute the weight and makes the weapon feel heavier than it would on a two point sling.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/Sling%20Mounts%20&%20Slings.htm
About half way down the pg there is a front take-down pin that allows you to use a qd sling swivel.  With this you can use a 2 pt sling.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Try the new magpul ps2 sling and asap plate is the best system i've ever seen simple and adaptable
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
ms2 and asap cannot go wrong
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Noveske makes an awesome little endplate.  Team it up with the MS2 and you have a perfect combination.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Will a simple side sling swivel work?

Side Sling Swivel
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll probably get sh1t for this, but I bought a GG&G adapter for $10 and a single point sling for about $20 on.......Ebay.  If nothing else, at least buy the adapter there.  $30-$35 for those things is rediculous.  $10 is more like it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll probably get sh1t for this, but I bought a GG&G adapter for $10 and a single point sling for about $20 on.......Ebay.  If nothing else, at least buy the adapter there.  $30-$35 for those things is rediculous.  $10 is more like it.

avid ebay shopper here. granted i buy gun parts on gunbroker and airsoft on ebay
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest just getting an IDF two point sling from CAA, you don't have to get any sling mount hardware, just tie the paracords anywhere she wants.

IDF slings are available in tan, green and black colors, plus the slings are wider than normal slings and also more comfortable.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I order a PR-4 mount to go with my Defender 2000

Super Easy to install also

Check LMT web site
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#18]
If you go with a single point sling, I would suggest getting one with a bungee in it and as wide of a strap as possible; http://www.tacticaltailor.com/cqbsling.aspx is a good example.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
We're going to do the shotgun approach.  We've ordered a QD end plate and the side sling adaptor.  Odds are she'll like one or the other.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#21]
The side sling adaptor does not work with the YHM rail block.  If they had square cut it instead of giving the generous radii, it would be fine, alas...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Why not use the KNS sling stud mount for the handguard. It fits in one of the holes in the bottom of the handguard.
From the KNS website:

And use with a quick release sling swivel.
Also from the KNS website:

This combination will give you a sling position behind your rails.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why not use the KNS sling stud mount for the handguard?

Because I had no idea such existed.  That's why.  I even have some of those swivels laying around.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top