Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2008 11:34:56 AM EDT
What's the point?   Other than it's a sign that there's too much stuff on the front end of the rifle?

Link Posted: 6/9/2008 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
for me it has to do with weight, I have the quad rails, older heavier version, and a pentagon light--too much stuff up front :) ... that is it... when I take my standing shots, it reduces the leverage the gun has on my support hand... I shorten the stock and tuck my support elbow into my side... I have considerably less movement and have been cosiderably more accurate.  When shooting prone, I still use the mag well for support, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably don't need one...it's more tactiKool.  I believe it's best used in a CQB "scenario", for instance, being able to rapidly move the rifle should you need to clear a room.

For longer range shooting, it's best to use the traditional weak-side hand on the foregrip of the rifle (or on a quadrail) to steady the rifle.

To each their own.

Best,

Ed
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
VFGs adds a few ways to hold the gun up front.  If you dislike any of those added and positions, then of course a VFG wouldn't do you much good.

It is a matter of preference, ergonomics, and triangles, torque forces, angular momentum, rocket science, and....

With shorter guns, the closer your supporting hand is to your body.  This forces you to turn your hand further away from its natural angle to support the rifle.  For me, a thumb-forward grip with the VFG really close to the magwell was the most comfortable setup.  But then...my gun is short and lightweight...with ergonomics closer to a paintball gun than a scoped hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the way it feels in regards to hand placement, almost like I'm in a fighting stance.
Plus it is tacticool
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one on my 20" for a while and went back to the standard forearm.  It feels easier to whip the rifle from low ready to a firing position, but it also felt harder to get tight groups with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Its totaly up to you but if weight is a factor you can combine all three with an GripPod which is an VFG/Bipod?and light holder. I know the VFG weights only 7 oz.

here is a photo of a few VFG to give you an idea of lenght...

Hope this helps

Slug-O
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
i can tell you this, after shooting with a vert grip for years i ended up putting one on every gun i could.....including an uzi.

it just feels right to me for numerous reasons. why not just try one out and see what you think? you can buy a cheap rail that will mount to your current HG's so you don't have to buy a rail system first......or at all for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]

why do I 'need' a vertical grip?

You don't unless you have a need to keep up with the other "armchair commandos"

One of the first comments I got when I finished my SBR was..."where's the verticle grip?"

I had no response other than I didn't need one.    
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
CQC control

Quoted:
What's the point?   Other than it's a sign that there's too much stuff on the front end of the rifle?

Link Posted: 6/11/2008 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]
If you hump your rifle for hours on end it helps.  It can also help with control of select fire.  I am not a big fan of the way most people grip the VFG either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What's the point? Other than it's a sign that there's too much stuff on the front end of the rifle?

That statement places you in the category of " I don't know what I don't know"

Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a full auto carbine, a VFG can help you maintain better control of muzzle rise in full auto mode.

If your AR is semi-auto with a 14.5" or longer barrel, IMHO you don't really "need" a VFG.

However many think it looks "cool" and they want their carbines to look like the guns used by our troops in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. (Which are full auto or 3 round burst, and arguably benefit from a VFG). It's said that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and if a guy wants his AR to look like a trooper's that should be okay. It's a free country

I don't have any full auto AR's. None of my (semi-auto) AR's have VFGs. IMHO they "mess up" the clean lines of the AR, and also obstruct the rifleman's natural grip on the AR's forestock... If I ever get a full-auto SBR then I will likely put a VFG on it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any experience with handguard-mounted vertical grips?
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I rather hold a VFG as I find that position a bit more comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the point? Other than it's a sign that there's too much stuff on the front end of the rifle?

That statement places you in the category of " I don't know what I don't know"

Agreed.  For the most part they are not "needed" by most posters here.  However, it does offer some utility to some for which it is more comfortable.  It also allows some to swing the carbine a little more easily.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I like how when you ask a question like this, some of these responders will say something like "If you have a VFG then you are clearly a poser and an asshole.  But to each his own."
If you're going to pretend like you respect the opinions of others, then don't bash on those opinions.
I like the VFG, and if you don't then you can eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
COmfort and personal ergonomics.  That is it.  Plenty of guys do just fine without them, myself included.  I actaully find the forewrd grip very uncomfortable, and just stick with standard CAR handguards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the answer is pretty simple.  Hold your empty hand up in the same position it would be with a vert-grip for just two minutes.  Notice how your muscles feel.  Now open your hand and turn it palm up as you would supporting a bare handguard.  Do that for two minutes.  Which is more comfortable???

Nuff Said,
MadDog
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a pure matter of ergonomics, and YOU

I put vertical grips on everything, close to the magwell.  20", 14.5", lightwieght, heavy setups, they just work for me, and I get the light mounts that fit accordingly.

My wife doesn't use them, and is uncomforable just trying to, so she uses regular handguards, and that works great.  MI Front Sight rail works perfect for her light mount.

Try it (heck, try it on an airsoft gun at Big5 to check), see if it's more comfortable, and you point better with it.  If not - that's more money you can spend elsewhere!!!

They have some other marginal benefits for high volume shooting, and if you're wearing body armor, they're even more comfortable (can rest elbow against the a SAPI supports the weight very well for standing/kneeling work), but the magwell itself is just as practical (especially since I was shooting full stocked rifles, off a SAPI, which even my lanky self finds to be too long an LOP)
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I like a simple setup on my AR and the el'cheapo $6 one I got from a gun show a while back was my first foray into VFG. It just has space in the handle for an extra firing pin.

I mounted in on my tacticool carbine a while back and have not regretted it. I can quickly remove it for storing my AR, but, more importantly, it makes activating my light (JP Tac light) alot easier with just my thumb.

Although my carbine is not overly heavy, I can apply just a bit of forward pressure on the grip  to help ease up recoil on my shoulder, which helps with follow up shots.

I don't have a VFG on all my guns, but, just the ones that "need" it for when I want it.

I have a VFG on my Cobray M-11/9 (closed bolt semi) and it REALLY helps with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
. . . it makes activating my light (JP Tac light) alot easier with just my thumb.

+1  This is why I have mine.  I also find it makes a good impromptu monopod in the field.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with handguard-mounted vertical grips?
I'd like to know as well
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I always thought it was just another way for manufactuers to get a couple bucks out of everyone. I also thought it was another tacticool device. Then I bought a Steyr Aug which of course came with one and kind of liked it. Will I put one on my AR's? Probably not. The best way is to answer your own question buy one and see if you like it. I think you probably will. We all have our preferences and opinions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got one because i saw other people have them!
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one on my 16" and none on my 20".
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
It is a gay thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Carry around your carbine in the patrol position for a few hours without one, if you notice that you are no longer griping the forearm and instead merely supporting the rifle's weight with a clenched fist in the same position it would be in if using a vertical grip due to pain in your wrist and forearm, then get one.  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. . . it makes activating my light (JP Tac light) alot easier with just my thumb.

+1  This is why I have mine.  I also find it makes a good impromptu monopod in the field.

Bingo. I'm not much for cords and tape switches. My pentagon sits in a vikings offset mount, so on/off on the light is accomplished without changing grip or focus.

If I didn't use a light, I could live without a VFG.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Ergonomics. I have a bumb wrist (torn ligament), and it hurts my wrist to hold a rifle palm up. I have them on both my AR's and my AK. I am planning on putting one on my 870 next!

There is only one way to know if they work for you-try it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]
because ive seen a few KB's on this board and what happens when the person has thier hand on the magwell instead of a little farther away on a VFG
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Try a cheap one.  If you like it upgrade.  I have used them but I prefer not to.  I find my wrist hurts more with than without but that's me.  I broke my wrist at age 8 and even on patrol I would rather go without.  I really don't care about what's cool.  I used tape for rail covers when they got lost......  
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It is a gay thing.

Your expertise in these matters is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]
The FVG gives you a more natraul grip on the weapon.. if you are a bench shooter then you dont need it but if you do alot of standing or sitting even prone you can hold it much more steady and have a better grip on the weapon.. I have always used one, I just got a new one, the LaRue FUG and it seems to be the best I have used... the stubby option is really nice allows you to keep ur thumb on the rail and I really like it and you are much faster with a FVG in QCB type shooting.. imo there is no reason not to use one.. you beifit from it alot.. but yeah its just a good overall option to have on your weapon if ur not a bench shooter, I do find most people are but dont like to admit it so dont get one if you are just going to use a bipod.. but if you like to shoot good groups standing up/sitting/prone.. then the FVG is for you!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#34]
They have a a high CDI factor. That's why I use a VFG.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If you have a full auto carbine, a VFG can help you maintain better control of muzzle rise in full auto mode.

If your AR is semi-auto with a 14.5" or longer barrel, IMHO you don't really "need" a VFG.

However many think it looks "cool" and they want their carbines to look like the guns used by our troops in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. (Which are full auto or 3 round burst, and arguably benefit from a VFG). It's said that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and if a guy wants his AR to look like a trooper's that should be okay. It's a free country

I don't have any full auto AR's. None of my (semi-auto) AR's have VFGs. IMHO they "mess up" the clean lines of the AR, and also obstruct the rifleman's natural grip on the AR's forestock... If I ever get a full-auto SBR then I will likely put a VFG on it.

Well imo it does not really make it look cool, I like the stock look of an M16 over every rifle I have ever seen but that is just me.. I use a FVG just cuz it feels much better you dont have to twist your hand like you do without one.. but you are right about the fire control.. you can go full auto much easyer then without one and for that matter you can make single shot fallow up shots easyer.. and aim from side to side with ease.. I really like the stubby FVG so you can keep ur thumb on the rail and your fingers on the grip, to me that is the best control, kinda acts as if its a sling to put counter pressure on the rifle for tight groups at 100+ but like i said in my last post it is more for a match shooter or someone that does not use a bipod..
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I like how when you ask a question like this, some of these responders will say something like "If you have a VFG then you are clearly a poser and an asshole.  But to each his own."
If you're going to pretend like you respect the opinions of others, then don't bash on those opinions.
I like the VFG, and if you don't then you can eat a bag of dicks.

90% The of the people like that are pretty much kids with no jobs that cant afford to even own an AR, or what they want for it. so bash it to make themselfs feel better.... alot of the people here that do make them kind of remarks pretty much never even used what they are bashing in the first place..
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]
There seems to be a correlation between users who can and cannot spell "a lot" and who uses FVG's. If your reason for buying one is, "because it looks cool," you should kick yourself right in the ass and go join Airsoft.
Just teasing.

Seriously though. Define a reason for using one. Then go from there. Define the reason why you are adding 4 ~ 8 ounces of extra front heavy weight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
There seems to be a correlation between users who can and cannot spell "a lot" and who uses FVG's. If your reason for buying one is, "because it looks cool," you should kick yourself right in the ass and go join Airsoft.
Just teasing.

Seriously though. Define a reason for using one. Then go from there. Define the reason why you are adding 4 ~ 8 ounces of extra front heavy weight.

Egronomics

I win.

The gain in comfort from having your support hand up front in an upright positions in stead of cocked at 90 degrees is undeniable.  Also makes switching an offset mounted flashlight really easy (good bye tape switch!).

I don't think anyone actually cares that much about how their rifle "looks".
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You're new around here, aren't you?

I just read a multi-page thread in the AR15 discussion area about fucking brass marks on the shell deflector. If I made a shell deflector protector, I'd make more money than I do at my day job.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I find holding the weapon with my palm vertical is more comfortable and easier to do for a longer period of time than horizontally holding the handguards...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I never thought that I would want or need one either, but last week I mounted a flashlight up front and was surprised how that little extra weight completely altered the balance of the carbine, and now I am thinking that a vertical fore grip, although adding more weight to the front, would probalby make it handle better.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Because it makes it easier for me to shoot around walls, or hold the gun above my head and shoot. Also, try shooting behind yourself without one, it's hard to do. With a forward grip I can hold the rifle upside down pointing backwards and pull the trigger with my thumb. Lastly, a forward grip makes it much easier to extract the blade when I bayonet someone.

I'm sure others here have many more uses!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Ponyboy

Also, try shooting behind yourself without one, it's hard to do. With a forward grip I can hold the rifle upside down pointing backwards and pull the trigger with my thumb.  

I'll pass on that super ninja trick shot.......
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I got one on a lark to put a tape switch on one of my carbines. After using it in a training class I ditched the tape switch but really liked the VFG.

In fact I wound up liking it enough to buy another one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a gay thing.

Your expertise in these matters is much appreciated.

Go on?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I could take them or leave them, personally.  I am comfortable with or without.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Chuck Norris uses a VFG, thus I do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just teasing.

Egronomics

I win.

The gain in comfort from having your support hand up front in an upright positions in stead of cocked at 90 degrees is undeniable.  Also makes switching an offset mounted flashlight really easy (good bye tape switch!).

Exactly. Put your 'support arm' out in front of you and then place your palm down. Then turn your palm 90 degrees to face your arm with the trigger finger. And now, turn it another 90 degrees for what is required to shoot the rifle. See how unnatural that is?
The vertical foregrip will allow you to hold the rifle with your muslces and bones in their native position. This is because of, well, the physical build of your arm. The vertical fore grip caters to this allowing an easier hold for both mass and endurance. Between a vertical fore grip and a lack thereof, you will probably feel a huge difference.

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought one and I tried it out a few times and decided to put it back in storage.  I found it to be uncomfortable, and since I do not have a fully automatic weapon I don't need the extra support and control.  I also don't like the look of my weapon with one attached.

To each their own though... it's important to have a rifle the individual feels the most comfortable with.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top