Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2005 11:54:11 AM EDT
Short of buying a safe does anyone have any good ideas?  I know i should just buy a safe but i will be moving soon.  Not a good idea to buy a 500lb block right before i am moving.  But i do need something more secure than just cheapo action lock cables strung together through all the rifles.  (pistols in a cheapo safe, it does weight 125lb or so full of ammo and guns and everything though).
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait till you move...buy a safe.  Sorry.

Cabinets are inexpensive (usually), but can often be unlocked with the end of a Bic (TM, I'm sure)pen with the little cap removed (like after you have chewed it).  Not good security.  After the kids came, I had to bite the bullet for a safe too.

IO1
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, do buy the safe before you move (i.e. have it delivered to your new house and let it be the first thing that gets moved in).  It will make getting it in much easier andto secure it also.  just my .02
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If cable locks are the best you've got, secure them to a stud.  It may not be the best thing in the world, but it will certainly slow someone down.

As a police officer, the majority of the burglaries that I go to are quick deals where someone kicks in a door, runs in, grabs things, and quickly leaves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wait till you move...buy a safe.  Sorry.

Cabinets are inexpensive (usually), but can often be unlocked with the end of a Bic (TM, I'm sure)pen with the little cap removed (like after you have chewed it).  Not good security.  After the kids came, I had to bite the bullet for a safe too.

IO1

hah, my dad has one of those cheepo cabinets with the "o" type lock.  Im going to have to try that, hed sh*t himelf if i opened it with an pen...  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It is more fun when you do it at Academy; they don't have boomsticks to shoot you with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If cable locks are the best you've got, secure them to a stud.  It may not be the best thing in the world, but it will certainly slow someone down.

As a police officer, the majority of the burglaries that I go to are quick deals where someone kicks in a door, runs in, grabs things, and quickly leaves.

i cant really damage my apartment either though...  i guess i could bolt something to the floor, that i could cover up before i leave. but how strong is a 30 year old aparment complex floor in the first place....  i have 4 rifles strung together, basically youd have to take all of em and it would be quite awkward to run with.  but that wont stop someone from sticking them in a duffel bag (that i have in my closet) and then going...  havent really had any problems but my $$ total on my guns/accessories is over 5k now.  
While im typing this a co-worker just told me their house got raided while on vacation for thanksgiving....
Anyways, looks like a safe is the only rael option here...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe not the easiest thing, or possible depending on what kind of guns you have.  If they are all ar-15s or anything that can be dissasembled, then tear them down, and scatter the parts around your room.  That way, if they do get a part of it, they won't get all of it, or be able to use the parts that they do find without some hassles.  Might be less appealing to steal a bolt carrier, than the whole ar15.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]

(pistols in a cheapo safe, it does weight 125lb or so full of ammo and guns and everything though).

Maybe not a perfect solution but can you install a heavy eyebolt to the safe and cable them to the safe?
Maybe bolt safe to floor in closet?
It would be harder to run with.

Could cover the thing with dirty laundry.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

(pistols in a cheapo safe, it does weight 125lb or so full of ammo and guns and everything though).

Maybe not a perfect solution but can you install a heavy eyebolt to the safe and cable them to the safe?
Maybe bolt safe to floor in closet?
It would be harder to run with.

Could cover the thing with dirty laundry.

Not a bad idea!  Thanks, I will look into that...  Even if i didnt bolt it it would be impossible to carry.  BUT, anyone can pick up a $30 bolt cutter.  How easy are those cheapo action locks that come w/guns to cut w/bolt cutters?  I imagine you could even just cut the lock inself.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#10]
What about friend with safe or storage facility for temp security until safe is available.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You might want to take a look at this.  I thought about it before I got my new safe...

Knoxx CornerLock
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just bought a safe myself.  Redhead brand, from BassPro.  12/24 fireproof w/ electronic keypad and nice glossy finish.  They were on sale for $649 (down from $800) when I got it, but the price has moved up to $700 now.

They put in on my pickup for the ride home.  Me & my buddy got it inside with one of those rented UHaul hand trucks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You might want to take a look at this.  I thought about it before I got my new safe...

Knoxx CornerLock

Thanks !!!!  that is exactly what I am looking for.  I may have to delay my safe purchase for at least 6 months, this is perfect!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me tell you! I bought a Brownning safe back in 1988. Paid to much then $850. But I can say when I'am out of town I sleeep good!
Never fail all the girls I dated had kids. They all wanted to know what was inside? Always played with the "Combo" While I played with there mom.......
Now that I married with two kids 9&10 they all been to the range , shot every thing I own, they "Know better" then to mess with the "Gun safe" and they don't !  It6's just part of the house. And when were all out of town.......I still sleep better........Get a gun safe!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Knoxx CornerLock

I was just in the process of ordering it and i realized, a lock going through the trigger guard of an AR is useless!!!  you can just pop off the trigger guard!!!  oh well, i guess you can still lock through the mag well and out the chamber area hole and then around the trigger guard bar...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#16]
...I chose a good padlock - reinforced hasp 8 inch bolts and a good closet door. I also retained the services of a couple of guards armed to the teeth pacing feverishly back forth all day in front my closet ... a 92 lb Red Male Doberman and his bitch an 83 pound Red Doberman... and she is the one you gotta watch !  
So I feel secure leaving for work knowing that if some little sum'bitch crawls through one of my windows, he'll be there when I get home... got me one of those - Pre ban garbage disposals .  LOL    
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...I chose a good padlock - reinforced hasp 8 inch bolts and a good closet door. I also retained the services of a couple of guards armed to the teeth pacing feverishly back forth all day in front my closet ... a 92 lb Red Male Doberman and his bitch an 83 pound Red Doberman... and she is the one you gotta watch !  
So I feel secure leaving for work knowing that if some little sum'bitch crawls through one of my windows, he'll be there when I get home... got me one of those - Pre ban garbage disposals .  LOL    

Hah!  should station someone inside the closet too, what if they come through the roof, or the floor?!

Im not worried about safety, im worried about them being able to run away with my guns.  I want them basically un-movable and not able to be defeating with a $40 bolt cutter...  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
...roof or floor its a house they will become a stain ... so pretty much as is without the expense of a safe or inconvenience of its weight, unless someone with opposable thumb dexterity removes one from its wrack it immovable .  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top