Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
I'm trying to choose a tactical vest/LBV and can't decide. I really don't have anywhere local that I shop in person. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I need something that can:
Be worn over heavy clothing(it gets cold here)
carry 7-8 ar mags
carry cleaning kit/small stuff
hold a flashlight
add a camleback or canteen
add a butt/backpack or wear one over it

Oh and be $300 or less, surplus stuff is ok too

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinda depends on your needs and such. There are lots of different ones out there, and different prices. If you want to try a vest and see what you think, get one of the cheap Cheaper than Dirt specials to see how they fit your body and such. Vests in the summer can be tough and get hot. Brands such as Eagle, Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, SO Tech, Specter, and the like are high quality, but they will cost more. If you want a vest that will last, you will spend a minimum of $100. Another method is the chest rig. Another method is a load bearing vest similar to the military LBV or the old SOE vests. Lots of different types out there. Someuse straps on the sides for adjustment, some use laces. Some zip up the front and some buckle. My favorite I use at the moment is an Arktis Jungle vest. I wish it was made stronger, but someday when it wears out I'll have a pattern. Something to consider as well is mobility. The more you pack, the heavier it gets and slower you will be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Check out this sites and get some ideas or at least some where to start...

lightfighter.com/

My only suggestion is whatever you get make sure it is a quality product.  Cheap knock-offs will fall apart at the worst possible time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you select "ARMORY" from the menu at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll find a Tactical Gear forum that has numerous threads on this subject.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you want a vest or a chest rig? If you are thinking about the chest rig,  good place to start is with the Tactical Tailor M.A.V. (modular assualt vest) complete with modular pouches $170-180...as seen here add the X-harness and it'll be a "very" comfortable rig well under your price point.
Here's a few borrowed pic of USMC03's 2 pc TT MAV w/X-harness...

TT also has a good collection of vests as well, look under the "products" tab.

tacticaltailor.com
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with a molle-compatible chest rig.  Specter Gear makes a nice one that's very versatile.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top