Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:24:55 AM EDT
Can someone explain the rational behind the vertical forward grips that seem so popular in the movies.  Most of us have done very well with the horizontal handguards in aimed fire and assault
advancing actions.  Is there some new combat technic that make a valid argument for their use or is this just another "toy" to hang on our M4geries?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for everyone here, but I've always thought that VFGs were much more comfortable to use and my arm doesn't get tired as quickly.  It just feels more natural.

I'm strictly a couch commando, and all my ARs see is range time, but even just spending an afternoon at the range, I can really feel a difference when I'm done shooting.

It actually feels a little weird to me to shoot an AR without a VFG now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]

A couple of arguments for the VFG are that they aid in controllability during FA fire and it is easier to keep your elbows in and down during CQB.  VFG are also great when trying to use pressure switches and off-hand thumbs to activate weapon's lights.  

I prefer a magwell hold and saving some weight.  FWIW
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
To me it is just so much more comfortasble and more natural feeling than just using the handguards, even before I had a VFG I hardly ever used the handguards I always used the magwell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The forward grip makes it much easier for me to use the mag as a monopod, especially when making quick follow up shots.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Biomechanically, it's a LOT stronger, which for me means better comfort, better stillness, and better pointability.

It's not gimmicky or new, either. The Thompson, Sten, and various Soviet subguns all to some extent take advantage of the more aggressive and strong hold/stance permitted by a VFG.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it is important to remember that the VFG is being used on an ASSAULT rifle not a sniper rifle.

They aren't being used to aid in accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone make VFG's for regular handguards? I'm going to be building my first AR soon and I like the feel of the VFG for stability and good follow up shots, but I do not plan on adding a bunch of stuff to my rifle, I like the KISS theory.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
For those who may use this in the future this is what I found

http://www.midwesttactical.com/product.asp?itemid=535

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw a VFG which mounted directly to the stock forearm. Forget who makes it though.

FWIW, I also learned to rest the forearm on my supporting hand, but I was most comfortable with gripping the magwell. Someone talked me into installing a rail system with a VFG, at no cost to me, stating that gripping the magwell inadvertantly leads to magazine malfunctions when you wind up gripping the magazine as well. Well, never had it happen, but as I said, tried the conversion at no cost and wound up liking it. It also lets me get the stock tight into my shoulder in CQB. Someone here mentioned biomechanicals. Well, it seems like a more natural position for my hand than supporting the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I simply would like to try for myself VFG/ no VFG.

I get a RRA 16 Middy. I´ve heard, the handguards might not be the strongest. Should I get CavArms ( green for me ) handguards?

And I would like a grip that attaches to the handguards direct - no extra plastic rail and so! ( looks, feel and weight ) Any hints on make and where to buy?

Thanks, H
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that I had a broken wrist repaired by surgurey, I find that the VFG gives me a better hold on the weapon. The simple aspect of turning your wrist to set the rifle/handguard into it, is not easy for me now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had VFGs on my ARs since I started using but as of late I've taken them off and I actually find I shoot better. To me, holding the handguards in a traditional manner is more natural. I should also mention that I'm shooting at 50+ yds.

To some degree, VFGs are overused IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top