Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 6:51:45 PM EDT

I recently saw these bipods at Gander Mountain and they look to be exact clones of Harris bipods.

Supposedly the patent ran out for Harris so these are legal copies made by Outers under the Rock Mount brand name.

I have a real Harris bipod on my bolt gun and these look exactly like it and they seem to be just as high quality but for a lower price.

Has anyone here tried them?  If so how did you like them and did they prove to be as durable as the Harris bipods?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one for my varminter b/c the guy at the local fun store told me it was identical to the harris, which I also have and love.  My harris does not pivot, neither does my rock.

I discovered one difference between them.  When the harris legs are telescoped to the smallest, hitting the button springs them out to full length, and they lock in place.  The reverse is true of my Rock.  You lengthen them by hand, and when you hit the button they spring closed to the shortest setting.  

Otherwise, they are truly identical, right down to the sling stud mounting system.  I like the harris better for the extra few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The Rock Mount legs fold out in too narrow an angle , thus, less stable when deployed.

Fit and finish were not equal to the Harris. The spring clamps come loose and the rubber leg shoe pins easily work themselves out.

Spend a few extra bucks and get the Harris.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]

FWIW I have no first hand experience with them but I have heard stories of the legs folding up on some guys...supposedly the metal is not as "beefy" as the Harris.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one as soon as I saw it in the store, because it looked just like my Harrises but cost considerably less.  Like others have noted, it just doesn't "feel" quite as substatial as the Harris units (I have several, some I've been using for many years without incident) - but I can't quantify that or point to anything concrete.

I've had my Rock Mount unit on one of my AR varminters for a while now, but haven't used it all that much.  No problems at all, though.  Maybe that "feel" thing is all in my head...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take your advice and stick with the real Harris bipods.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The Harris are made in the USA; the Rock Mounts are not.  I think that says it all.

JSR
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top