Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 3:14:18 PM EDT
Harris bipods are reliable, but i'm kinda annoyed about the totally exposed springs on my current Harris bipods...checked out GG&G, but they're filling military orders and have none in stock....B Square's salesguy must have a 'dream job', wish i could leave the answering machine on all the time...Troy has one for $250 + a pint of blood...sooooo, does anyone make a semi-attractive bipod for pic rails that's reasonably priced and available?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
found another one...Versa-Pod Model 2 Bipod/Picatinny Rail Version (150-462)...but i can't tell how it mounts to pic rails or if there is a quick release feature/easy on-off  knob/button..any info would be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of the versa pod rail mounts on an FAl. It has an adapter that stays mounted to the rail and a quick detach lever on the bi-pod itself.
I like mine. If you want I can send a pic of it for you so you can see it.
W50g

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
just go to wal-mart. they have Shooters Ridge Bi-Pods for about 30 or 40 bucks.
www.shootersridge.com/bi_pods.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I tried one of them, just so I could see if I liked that style of bipod ( with the exposed springs) And I did. Got it mounted on my beowulf.And it's working fine.
And I like that style as much or more than I do the versa pod.
JTAC_supply is right. the versa pods do tend to have a pretty good lean to them.
Never had one fall over on me yet though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Harris mounted on an ARMS picatinny adapter is about the best bipod setup going for the price to use on rail forends.  Even though it has exposed springs I've never had a problem with mine.  With a Podloc it's a great setup.  

I've used the Versapod also, it's a pretty nice setup but has some drawbacks.  You might be really happy with it but after using mine I went to a Harris, YMMV.  The Versa Pod construction isn't as rugged as the Harris, and it needs a swivel stop or your gun may have a tendency to be laying on its side when you come back if you leave it on the bipod unattended.
That said...if you must try one I have an excellent condition used unit with a Picatinny rail adapter for sale for a good price..lol.
Jason

Listen to the words of wisdom above......   Then order one from him like I did......  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the response....please see TDI thread for GG&G info
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I HAVE the TROY INDUSTIRES/MIKE ROCK SOPMOD bipod. I bought it direct from troy about two months ago and it is only $150.00. I guess MIKE ROCK (ROCK CREEK BARRELS) sells them direct now at: www.rockcreekbarrels.com/new_page_2.htm

I have to say that this is by FAR the BEST bipod I have seen and used so far. I have it mounted on my MSTN KAC URX II RECCE RIFLE and it is PERFECT for the application. As for price I do not know what MIKE ROCK sells them for directly but it is best to contact him direct. These bipods are TOTALLY adjustable for fit to all PICATINY/1913 ralis and PAN/TILT features. Like I said I got mine from TROY IND and it took them about 2.5 months to get so you are better off going throught MIKE ROCK direct. I know that's what TROY IND did! LOL Check it out, I think this is the best option going. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
IL_Shooter...

For Bi-pod news standby.  There will be released in the near future a bipod designed for rail attachment, not a bipod like many that currently exist that are simply retro fitted to rails w/ adapters and the like.  

This bipod will not only elevate, but will also traverse.  Like MG bipods, the bipod for precision rifles should have been designed to T&E from the getgo, but weren't.  Relatively speaking, there's little military use of the bipod.  However the advent and desire by the mil. for practically accurate arms like the USMCs SAMs and Army et al's SPRs, Navy's RECCE etc. etc. has brought about a whole new "need" for practical bipods...

How's light, rugged, slimlined when folded, and all w/  T&E ability sound?  Good enough?  Then standby, for the next best thing in bipods.

I am not currently at liberty to disclose its designer, as I gave my word I wouldn't, and in fact fear I may have gone too far as is.  However I will say its a sound, reputable and so far 100% manufacturer, that 1, is highly regarded here at ARFCom, and 2, is a participating member of the board.

It's also being looked at by a major manufacturer of AR type weapon systems, as factory equipment.  This should be the next great thing.

Hope it helps, though if you're anything like me, I probably just confused the situation even more, but hey, choices are an American thing...

/S2
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Harris bipods are reliable, but i'm kinda annoyed about the totally exposed springs on my current Harris bipods...

So why does this annoy you, I just don't understand?

The Harris biopds are combat proven, and to date, I can't recall ever hearing of someone having a problem with those exposed springs.  Those springs aren't going to just snap if a twig gets behind them, they're pretty heavy duty.

As far as weight, compactness and ease of use, and even price, there is no better than the Harris at this time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

IMO those are shit, I had to continualy tighten up mine in the field while hunting. It couldn't take the field use. Might be ok if yer using it at the range only but if you hunt, forget it, pay the money for the harris. My shooters ridge is relegated to 10/22 range use only now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw a thread on bidpods so I thought I'd jump in.  Hope y'all don't mind!

I need to step in, slightly.  I want a bipod that will afix to the bottom of a standard handguard (assuming that's possible).  These would go on an A3 Bushmaster, 20" barrel and be used for prone shooting.  

I've used Harris bipods for years and am happy with them so that's a good place to start.  Point me to Brownells if you like.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The recommendations will have a lot to do w/ what the bipods intended uses will be.  If their use is to be a range/varmint hunting type bipod then the above listed bipods will more than suffice, w/ Harris being the Cadillac of bipods.  However, because bipods were inherently thought of as accessories for a target/precision weapon, they were designed that way...  Intricate,  if not delicate, and somewhat cumbersome.  Designated marksmen/snipers may have the discipline/need to deal w/ their negatives as a trade off for their inherent benefits, but line infantrymen don't.

If the bipods role is intended as a stable shooting platform for a fighting weapon, then their is no bipod currently designed for or acceptible as a satisfactory answer to the problem.  

While the current models aren't bad, they certainly aren't ideal.

Exposed springs, while not weak, aren't the best solution and bipods that elevate, but don't traverse, demostrate an inherent weakness in their design.  DM/Snipers enjoy the luxury of finding a larger sphere of engagement and then fine tuning the movement of their POA/I to a severely smaller sphere before engagement.  Line infatntrymen have no such luxury.  The sphere of engagement for the latter is relatively huge, w/ the most common dimension of their sphere of engagement being "length", or left to righ/ right to left (T in T&E), not "depth" or "from to away/ away to from", or "Height" low to high/ high to low (E in T&E)...

For limited movement, the inherent benefit of a bipod; fixed position, fine movement, relatively little change in target position, go w/ a Harris, it's the best available, now.  For a bipod that takes into acct. the realities of the std. fighter, wait.  It will most certainly be worth your while.

MG bipods T&E why shouldn't yours?  Your target most certainly will be.

/S2
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
SULACO2,
How far of is this thing? A few months or a year or more? I am VERY interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#15]
This looks interesting. SOPMOD bipod.

www.rockcreekbarrels.com/new_page_2.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Knight Shadow,

What adapter would you need for the pivoting bipod from shooters ridge...that is cheap enough fo rme...although i didnt see that price on their website (need to look some more i guess)..
but which adapter to fit on handguards?..

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#17]
 There are some harris clones from $40 to $70 bucks at www.eabco.com   I think they are called outers bipods. Dont know the quality.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SULACO2,
How far of is this thing? A few months or a year or more? I am VERY interested.

Months...

/S2
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a Harris L1A2 for $40 shipped off of eBay. Then I added a $10 Harris adapter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
So which model Harris is the bipod of choice for both prone, down-in-the-dirt and off the bench shooting?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So which model Harris is the bipod of choice for both prone, down-in-the-dirt and off the bench shooting?

I like the Harris S-BRM by far the best.  It can adjust easily and quickly for any of the positions you mentioned, and adjust for uneven ground.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top