BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2021 10:55:49 AM EDT
I know these just came out, just wondering if anyone has got ahold of one yet? On paper it looks ideal for a lightweight general purpose carbine. At 9.6  (eta: CORRECT WEIGHT 13.3 oz)  that puts you at 14.6 ounces with a 5 oz mount. That’s just about ACOG weight.

I like the TA44 with the 1.5 magnification so to me it seems like it would be like having a TA44 and a TA31 all for about the same weight as a TA31. I’m sure your giving up some durability, I just wonder how the Leupold would compare optically?

Its been awhile since I looked through a Leupold, I'm generally not a big fan of their reticle's but I think a firedot version could do the trick.

Any thoughts or opinions out there?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I'm kinda excited to see how it is. Will post some pictures once I get it in hand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I'm kinda excited to see how it is. Will post some pictures once I get it in hand.
View Quote

Real feedback will be awesome! I’m close to giving one a shot also, it seems really smart on paper.

TIA, let us know what you think.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you seeing that weight listed for the FireDot model? The ones I see on EuroOptic are showing 13oz:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-Mark-3HD-15-4x20-30mm-Illum-FireDot-SPR-Riflescope-180662.aspx
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where are you seeing that weight listed for the FireDot model? The ones I see on EuroOptic are showing 13oz:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-Mark-3HD-15-4x20-30mm-Illum-FireDot-SPR-Riflescope-180662.aspx
View Quote

the weight listed for the 1.5-4 firedot on Leupolds website is 9.6oz. Will definitely weigh it once it arrives.

Leupold - Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 Firedot SPR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the weight listed for the 1.5-4 firedot on Leupolds website is 9.6oz. Will definitely weigh it once it arrives.

Leupold - Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 Firedot SPR

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145596/mk3_JPG-1949324.JPG
View Quote

I think that might be a misprint. That's the weight of the 1" tube 1.5-4x Freedom scope, I'd be shocked if they got the 30mm version that light, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think that might be a misprint. That's the weight of the 1" tube 1.5-4x Freedom scope, I'd be shocked if they got the 30mm version that light, but I could be wrong.
View Quote

You could be right, the 3 new 1.5 - 4 models they list, illuminated and non illuminated all show 9.6 ounces. If it is much heavier than that they will lose their luster pretty quick.

We will have some real intel soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a refresh of the VXR patrol line, 13oz is likely the correct weight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like a rehash of the Patrol

If they have better glass, great.

If its still VX3 glass, no thanks.

I still have 4 of the VX-Rs

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to guess it is sharing the same glass as the VX3HD that was announced at the same time as the Mark 3HD.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s their new VX3HD glass.

I have the predecessor to the VX3HD which was the XV Freedom with the VX3i glass upgrade. It is better than the VX3 and VXR, so I imagine the glass on this won’t be too bad since it’s better still.

To the guys who ordered please update. Leupold doesn’t list the low end exit pupil. It was 16mm at 1.5 on the illuminated VXF so low end performance is awesome on mine. Hoping they get the same forgiving eye box on these so I can throw one on my 308.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been waiting on these, let us know what you think of it.

@firepyro515
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Initial impressions: I'm very impressed with the optic. The glass is clear and it allows a lot of light. I don't think i noticed any loss of light at all.

1.5x
Attachment Attached File

4x
Attachment Attached File

The new illumination control knob is better than the old push button. There are also off positions between each level.

Attachment Attached File

I would definitely call the dot daylight bright at the highest level. I tried to take some pictures, but the camera doesn't show the dot as well.

Attachment Attached File

The quarter turn for full adjustment and the integrated throw lever are nice and the adjustment is smooth

Weight is coming in right at about 13.3 ounces, which goes along with what EuroOptic is listing.

Not a fan of the turrets, they look to be plastic and the threads are in a weird position. Not the biggest issue since i'm not planning on doing any on the fly adjustments.

Attachment Attached File

In short, super impressed with the optic and am excited to see how it runs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
@firepyro515

Thanks for the feedback! When you get it mounted up let us know how the eye box feels.

You would think as long as Leupold has been in the optics game, which is a precision product, they could manage to accurately list product spec's such as weight in their catalog.

Looks like a nice little scope none the less.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
13.3 ounces isn’t 9.6, but that still means the only lighter illuminated LPVO is the VX3HD. That puts them in first and second place.

I saw somewhere the short throw wasn’t specifically intended, and was actually a hand and hand durability upgrade to the erector system.

Plastic turrets seem a bit cheesy, but logically I can’t think of where this would be an issue.

Do you have another LPVO to compare the eye box too?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
13.3 ounces isn’t 9.6, but that still means the only lighter illuminated LPVO is the VX3HD. That puts them in first and second place.

I saw somewhere the short throw wasn’t specifically intended, and was actually a hand and hand durability upgrade to the erector system.

Plastic turrets seem a bit cheesy, but logically I can’t think of where this would be an issue.

Do you have another LPVO to compare the eye box too?
View Quote

Not anymore. I had an Accupower for a while, but i got rid of that last year.

Everything definitely feels natural when shouldering.

The plastic turrets are annoying, but since they will be under the caps, i can live with it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not anymore. I had an Accupower for a while, but i got rid of that last year.

Everything definitely feels natural when shouldering.

The plastic turrets are annoying, but since they will be under the caps, i can live with it.
View Quote

Does it retain the power save feature where it turns off automatically and turns on when it detects movement? I think I read that it still has that feature, but would like to know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Does it retain the power save feature where it turns off automatically and turns on when it detects movement? I think I read that it still has that feature, but would like to know for sure.
View Quote

yeah, it says it will turn off after 5 minutes (i think) without movement and then turn on when it detects movement.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
It looks kind of cheap compared to the older VXR line.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It looks kind of cheap compared to the older VXR line.
View Quote

HD glass that’s two levels up from the VXR, better illumination control, better magnification control, and their upgraded erector assembly.

The VXR was/is great, but there are some significant upgrades to it’s lineage in this one. Even with plastic turrets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I know this thread is a week old, but I am very interested in any further feedback.  Looking for a lightweight and versatile optic for a wild hog hunting rifle.  While all optics are a compromise, I'm still trying to find the best of those compromises.  Very interested in how forgiving the eyebox on this optic is at 1.5x especially.  I need some magnification these days because my eyes are going bad on me () but want to retain the ability to make snap shots at very short range.  All without weighing the gun down too much, while still being tough enough for rough use, and without buying something made in Commieland.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagging for interest
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]
To hell with it, went ahead and ordered one. Only one way to really know if I'll like it.

ETA: I ordered the Firedot BDC model

With my Daniel Defense mount the whole package should be just a shade under 19 oz, not to shabby.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks great.

Can anyone share what's the current street price for one?

What's the main difference between the Mark 3HD vs. VX3HD?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks great.

Can anyone share what's the current street price for one?

What's the main difference between the Mark 3HD vs. VX3HD?
View Quote

The VX3HD goes to 5X, has auto on/off push button illumination, standard illuminated crosshair reticle, and an exposed elevation turret with a locking feature. Street price is $600 at all my usual spots.

The Mark 3HD is only 4X on the high end, uses knob illumination, gets ranging reticles, and has capped turrets. Street price is $700 so far.

The listed weight on the VX3HD at 12.5 ounces is probably correct, so I do wonder if it’s just the illumination control that makes it lighter, or if the Mark 3 gets beefed up internally too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I asked Leupold about the exit pupil measurements and they replied with the following:

Low mag - 13.3 mm

High mag - 5 mm

The eye box should be nice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I asked Leupold about the exit pupil measurements and they replied with the following:

Low mag - 13.3 mm

High mag - 5 mm

View Quote

Still better than all but a few LPVO’s, but down from the 16mm of the VXR and VXFI. I knew I should have bought more VXFI’s when they were $400.

13.3mm is still 66% of the eye placement forgiveness of an Aimpoint T2 though. That’s not bad considering.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Scope came in and I got it mounted up, my initial impressions mirror Firepyro515.

On my scale it weighs in at 13.3 oz, in the DD mount the package weighs in at 18.8 oz. It really changes the balance and LPVO experience on a rifle at that weight IMHO.

The firedot is full sun, desert daylight bright on setting 6 of 7 and 5 seemed to be a good inside to outside, general use setting for now.

Overall it looks and feels like a quality optic as you would expect. I really appreciate the subdued markings and the lack of the Fudd gold ring!

The mag ring is awesome and is Goldie locks as far as the tension goes. I really like the removable throw lever and found it to be in the perfect place at least for me.

The glass is super clear and sharp and compared to my Credo 1-6, it was hard for me to call a winner in optical quality.

The 1.5x is easy to get behind and indeed reminds me of my TA44.

I'm not a big fan of the turrets either and that would be my one gripe on an otherwise perfect little scope. It will be a set and forget so I'm not going to hold it against it.

Love the weight - size, daylight bright dot and glass quality. I can't wait to go dial it in!

Attachment Attached File

Rifle weighs in at 7 pounds 5 ounces / nice and handy

Attachment Attached File

Full sun against a red fence on setting 6 of 7, pic isn't great and doesn't do it justice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice stick.

I went from a Credo to this optic’s predecessor. What sold me was the weight, better edge clarity, eye box, and low profile diopter. I hated how my Credo flared at the edges and had a thicker diopter ring around the view of the optic. Despite being 1.5X, I’m faster with the Leupold than I was with the Credo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody able to compare this to a Steiner P4xi?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice stick.

I went from a Credo to this optic’s predecessor. What sold me was the weight, better edge clarity, eye box, and low profile diopter. I hated how my Credo flared at the edges and had a thicker diopter ring around the view of the optic. Despite being 1.5X, I’m faster with the Leupold than I was with the Credo.
View Quote

Thanks

Your absolutely right on the low profile diopter, it makes a bigger difference to the eye box feel / optic experience than one might think.

I’m going to hang on to my Credo for another setup as I do like the reticle and the drops line up well for me on that particular rifle.

This rifle has potential to be my new favorite though once it’s vetted.

I think for someone that 1x isn’t a “must have”, those that like low power prisms for example, will really like this scope.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#32]
That looks awesome. The Firedot BDC and Firedot SPR reticles look pretty good too. I could careless about the turrets as long as they are capped and the reticle is usable.

I have the old VX-R Patrol 3-9 with the illuminated Firedot TMR reticle. The glass is really good and the Firedot is daylight bright. The reticle sucks hard though as it’s very difficult to differentiate between the 1 mil and 1/2 mil hashmarks. The glass and illumination are why I’ll be keeping it long term. I have a Kahles K16i on my light rifle and while it’s the nicest scope I’ve ever owned or looked through, the Leupold still looks good. It definitely punches well above the $400 I paid for it. Quite frankly if Leupold could figure out a way to put a decent reticle in while keeping it daylight bright there would be no reason to consider a Viper PST.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I just want a 3HD in a LPVO 30mm 1-6 24mm with CDS Zero stop illuminated come on Leupold.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Why in God’s name did they use the SPR reticle…. Dammit leupold, they also come close then fuck it up.

That reticle is terrible.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Scope came in and I got it mounted up, my initial impressions mirror Firepyro515.

On my scale it weighs in at 13.3 oz, in the DD mount the package weighs in at 18.8 oz. It really changes the balance and LPVO experience on a rifle at that weight IMHO.

The firedot is full sun, desert daylight bright on setting 6 of 7 and 5 seemed to be a good inside to outside, general use setting for now.

Overall it looks and feels like a quality optic as you would expect. I really appreciate the subdued markings and the lack of the Fudd gold ring!

The mag ring is awesome and is Goldie locks as far as the tension goes. I really like the removable throw lever and found it to be in the perfect place at least for me.

The glass is super clear and sharp and compared to my Credo 1-6, it was hard for me to call a winner in optical quality.

I'm not a big fan of the turrets either and that would be my one gripe on an otherwise perfect little scope. It will be a set and forget so I'm not going to hold it against it.

Love the weight - size, daylight bright dot and glass quality. I can't wait to go dial it in!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484641/E8E659AE-EB2A-466C-AF8C-CD42F52EA9EF_jpe-1966860.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484641/BDDC6013-EBD8-4CD1-BDC1-77885BB15185_jpe-1966862.JPG
Full sun against a red fence on setting 6 of 7, pic isn't great and doesn't do it justice.
View Quote

That’s better, I missed that reticle option.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Low mag - 13.3 mm

High mag - 5 mm

View Quote

So I just connected the dots and that 13.3mm is a mathematical figure. The magnification/objective formula is almost never accurate on the low end. The VXR and VXFI were pushing 16mm, so I’d be surprised if real life exit pupil doesn’t match those.

In other words, I need to get behind one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#37]
This optic is a winner! You guys that take the time to post pics of the actual reticles are awesome! Thank you! I hate the Midway and Eurooptic reticle renditions. These pics alone answer so many questions! I’m poaching and reposting giving credit to - @firepyro515 and @Just10mm in the spirit of the Dark Lord of Optics I give you REAL PICS! Wuuuuut?!?!?!

BDC:

SPR:

ETA: is it just me but how are the oz and mm both coming out to 13.3?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice stick.

View Quote

Yeah Im leaning towards the Credo now that I know about the plastic turrets.

Whats the FOV on the 3HD?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah Im leaning towards the Credo now that I know about the plastic turrets.

Whats the FOV on the 3HD?
View Quote

The plastic turrets really are bad. End of the day though, you look through the glass more than you adjust windage and elevation if you get the BDC model. I will go against the grain and say the 1-4 Credo is the worst 1-4 I know of in its price range.

The 1-6 Credo has better edge clarity and a daylight bright option on the other hand. I have no knocks against it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably a lot like the prior VX-R 1.25-4x except with better HD glass.

I like my VX-R and VX-6 LPVOs. Highly underrated scopes... great for the price when they were available. Leupold was dumb to kill them off without viable similarly priced or mildly improved replacements.

Good to see there is at least something filling the VX-R Patrol’s niche
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484641/E8E659AE-EB2A-466C-AF8C-CD42F52EA9EF_jpe-1966860.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484641/BDDC6013-EBD8-4CD1-BDC1-77885BB15185_jpe-1966862.JPG
View Quote

This isn't the correct reticle for the 3HD, is it?  Where's the SPR ring?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This isn't the correct reticle for the 3HD, is it?  Where's the SPR ring?
View Quote

It sure is, they have 3 reticle options in the illuminated reticle 1.5 - 4 Mark 3HD:

Firedot BDC - the one I posted
Firedot SPR - the other one posted
Firedot TMR - not posted

And a non illuminated AR-Ballistic reticle

Leupold’s website straight sucks, Scopelist has all the models listed if anyone wants to learn more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It sure is, they have 3 reticle options in the illuminated reticle 1.5 - 4 Mark 3HD:

Firedot BDC - the one I posted
Firedot SPR - the other one posted
Firedot TMR - not posted

And a non illuminated AR-Ballistic reticle

Leupold’s website straight sucks, Scopelist has all the models listed if anyone wants to learn more.
View Quote

Ah I see.  Whats the purpose of the SPR (smaller ring around dot)?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an old, discontinued Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm scope.  I have a chance to trade for this newer 3HD 1.5-4x20 30mm Illuminated FireDot (The SPR version I believe)

I would lose some power, but gain a red dot rather than cross hairs, a throw-lever, and 10 years of R&D in general.   The illumination on the old Mark 4 is not daylight bright.

The glass on the Mar4 is very clear, and it has some holdovers.  But the cross hairs suck.  The red dot seems more valuable for fast acquisition.

The mark 4 was almsot top of the line in its day - I think i paid over $1k.  The 3HD is a $700 scope in 2021 pesos.

I was considering a Trijicon 1-8x28 Credo HX FFP but worried about the weight.

I'm using this on a 5.56 Daniel DDM4V7 that I will probably turn into a DMR with an offset red dot.

Go for the newer scope?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have an old, discontinued Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm scope.  I have a chance to trade for this newer 3HD 1.5-4x20 30mm Illuminated FireDot (The SPR version I believe)

I would lose some power, but gain a red dot rather than cross hairs, a throw-lever, and 10 years of R&D in general.   The illumination on the old Mark 4 is not daylight bright.

The glass on the Mar4 is very clear, and it has some holdovers.  But the cross hairs suck.  The red dot seems more valuable for fast acquisition.

The mark 4 was almsot top of the line in its day - I think i paid over $1k.  The 3HD is a $700 scope in 2021 pesos.

I'm using this on a 5.56 Daniel DDM4V7 that I will probably turn into a DMR with an offset red dot.

Go for the newer scope?
View Quote

I would.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Go for the newer scope?
View Quote

The best thing you can do is look through it before you make the trade. Only you can know if you like the glass / reticle better.

That said it's a nice scope, I am already starting to like it more than my Credo.

I would never consider a 26 oz LVPO plus the weight of the mount for a 5.56 AR. If I'm bolting that much weight on it better have magical thermal or night vision, wizard type properties.

I don't think you will need an offset dot, the firedot gives you that snap shot, RDS type capability. Save the weight I say...
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I looked through them both - I have them both in-hand.

The 3HD has same glass quality as the old Mark 4.  The Mark 4 was something like a $1k optic in 20111 or so, and it feels like it.  The etched cross hairs are very fine.  But its just that - a cross-hair.  With the illumination turned up to 10 and looking up into the sky, its like no  illumination.

The Mark 3HD feels much more simplistic in its intent.  There are some minor build trade-offs, like the turrets, but the RDS seems invaluable compared to cross hairs.

the 4x compared to 5x zoom is noticeable, but the tradeoff there is you get a nice scope lever on the 3HD, and nothing on the Mark4.

Ill see if I can get a shot of the reticle with my phone and post.  

There are some scope fundamentals that I'm missing that might be better suited to something as simple as the 3HD.  Now I'm just wondering if anyone would want to buy the Mark 4 outright considering its overall quality.  I had a guy buy another older generation Leupold so he could reproduce a specific SOCOM build or something.  It was basically the 10x or 15x version of Mark 4.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#48]
What do you guys think of the old Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 vs the new 3HD?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-1-5-5x20mm-mr-t-30mm-m2-matte-illuminated-spr-rifle-scope.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
At this point I'm just thinking the red dot alone makes it worth it.  Cross hairs seem very last generation.  And I agree that you probably don't need an offset RMR if you have a red do in your LVPO.
i
So even though my old scope was more expensive at the time, and is a better build with a finer reticle, its still almost 10 years newer, and a lot has happened n 10 years with LVPO and shooting in general.

I just need my hand held and to be patted on the head here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
At this point I'm just thinking the red dot alone makes it worth it.  Cross hairs seem very last generation.  And I agree that you probably don't need an offset RMR if you have a red do in your LVPO.
i
So even though my old scope was more expensive at the time, and is a better build with a finer reticle, its still almost 10 years newer, and a lot has happened n 10 years with LVPO and shooting in general.

I just need my hand held and to be patted on the head here.
View Quote

I’d say weight and distance are going to be your determining factors. Id rather shoot below 400 with a 4X eye box, but anything beyond 1/100 I’d give favor to the 6X of the Trijicon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top