Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2021 12:30:25 PM EDT
I purchased a used H1 from another forum a few months ago and put it away while I was collecting the parts for my build.
Last night I was looking at it and saw that there was damage to the body. It looks like the previous owner used screws that were too long and the screws went into the body. I didnt catch this during my initial inspection of the sight because the front lens has the red/oragne reflection. I think I caught the light at the right angle last night.

The H1 still turns on and the controls function. Any potential issues I should be worried about?

EDIT: I have not reached out to the seller. Ive had the H1 since october so I doubt theres much he would do.

https://imgur.com/a/uZc4uE2
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.

I suppose it either works or it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be just fine. As long as you can get it zeroed, it should hold zero. Only you will ever know those marks are in there. 'Try' not to think about it even though it's eating your guts away every time you see that optic
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be just fine. As long as you can get it zeroed, it should hold zero. Only you will ever know those marks are in there. 'Try' not to think about it even though it's eating your guts away every time you see that optic
View Quote

haha yeah
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks to me that the screws went upwards through the base far enough to get through the bottom of the optic? I would wonder if there's any argon or nitrogen that leaked out due to the issue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It looks to me that the screws went upwards through the base far enough to get through the bottom of the optic? I would wonder if there's any argon or nitrogen that leaked out due to the issue.
View Quote

That was my thought too, whether they were gas purged or not. If the previous person used good thread locker, it might be sealed enough?

If the sight still works and holds zero, then i would imagine you would be fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure the AP optics have no purge gas.

(Been a long minute since I watched the vid and my memory is not what it used to be....)

Google...Larry Vickers buids an Aimpoint
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(Been a long minute since I watched the vid and my memory is not what it used to be....)

View Quote

Yeah, i just watched it. The facility conditions are highly controlled, so no need to purge the optic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, i just watched it. The facility conditions are highly controlled, so no need to purge the optic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Often wondered.....

As far as AP magnafiers....are they gas purged? My understanding was that anything magnafied required it. Curious if this is a misconception?

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
What idiot would do such a thing?
If it holds zero and gets no moisture accumulation you are good.  Use thread locker.
I'd be interested in what Aimpoint would say if you sent it back to them.
Bet they would fix it no charge.
They fixed a buddy's personal T1 AP sight that had been damaged by a 7.62X39 bullet in Afghanistan.
Brand new rail grabber mount, screws, and everything, "Please don't hesitate to contact us in the future."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent the picture to Aimpoint and they said there isnt anything they can do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
PO is a Bubba!  If it works, I’d be tempted to make sure I really liked the mount, spooge in some decent epoxy, and run the (correct length) screws home one last time...

Since Loctite is anaerobic it may work fine also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I really don't see how the little mount screws (that can strip, and break the heads off easily) could EVER protrude into a 7075-T6 aluminum body. Just don't see it.

Are there any "bits" of aluminum floating around inside the unit? There would be if this be the case.

I just looked inside one of my Sig Romeo 5's (I know it's not the same, but still) and see a hole that protrudes inside the tube from the factory. It's offset and doesn't align with a mount screw. Also, at the back close to the emitter there is a fairly large hole as well.

No way the Romeo 5 is purged.

Just curious OP. I'm not saying the the dude you bought it from didn't "screw it up" somehow, but I'll be damned if I believe those little mount screws could ever breech the housing before snapping the head off...

ETA: I'd call Aimpoint CS if ask them the same question. Could a mount screw ever breech the tube if over-torqued?

ETA II: Just looked inside my brand spank'n newly procured Holosun HE515GT-RD. It too has a small hole inside the tube towards the front (in a different spot compared to the Sig,) and a large hole in the back around the emitter.) Again, no way is this purged either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really don't see how the little mount screws (that can strip, and break the heads off easily) could EVER protrude into a 7075-T6 aluminum body. Just don't see it.
View Quote

What else could it be?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
@Tigwelder1971

Good question, and it certainly DOES look like they breached. But again, how the heck could those little teeny tiny fine thread screws do that? I'm stumped.

ETA: Someone else needs to look inside their Aimpoint to see if there's anything similar. I looked inside my PA RD as well, it's got another hole in a completely different location compared to the 2 I listed above. And another big hole around the emitter...

Strange...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Tigwelder1971

Good question, and it certainly DOES look like they breached. But again, how the heck could those little teeny tiny fine thread screws do that? I'm stumped.

ETA: Someone else needs to look inside their Aimpoint to see if there's anything similar. I looked inside my PA RD as well, it's got another hole in a completely different location compared to the 2 I listed above. And another big hole around the emitter...

Strange...
View Quote

Doesn't look like they penetrated the housing to me personally.  Rather just pushed dents into it.

Hard to say for certain w/o the optic in hand.

Either way, somebody hamfisted it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are there any "bits" of aluminum floating around inside the unit? There would be if this be the case.

I just looked inside one of my Sig Romeo 5's (I know it's not the same, but still) and see a hole that protrudes inside the tube from the factory. It's offset and doesn't align with a mount screw. Also, at the back close to the emitter there is a fairly large hole as well.

No way the Romeo 5 is purged.

Just curious OP. I'm not saying the the dude you bought it from didn't "screw it up" somehow, but I'll be damned if I believe those little mount screws could ever breech the housing before snapping the head off...

ETA: I'd call Aimpoint CS if ask them the same question. Could a mount screw ever breech the tube if over-torqued?

ETA II: Just looked inside my brand spank'n newly procured Holosun HE515GT-RD. It too has a small hole inside the tube towards the front (in a different spot compared to the Sig,) and a large hole in the back around the emitter.) Again, no way is this purged either.
View Quote

H1's are 6061 Al.

Only the CompM5 series is 7076; all else is 6061
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Checked my H2s and T2s and didn't see anything. One problem that has been coming up is people using the incorrect screws with the incorrect mount. Not all mounts are the same, so using old screws can cause these types of issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

H1's are 6061 Al.

Only the CompM5 series is 7076; all else is 6061
View Quote

My mistake. Good to know! Thanks brother
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Checked my H2s and T2s and didn't see anything. One problem that has been coming up is people using the incorrect screws with the incorrect mount. Not all mounts are the same, so using old screws can cause these types of issues.
View Quote

I'll agree all mounts & screw lengths are not created equal. Gotta check stuff out before locking them down.

Truth be told the more I look at all of my RD's, the interior "barrel" may be just a thin shell within. All of mine have fairly large openings at the emitter.

OP - When you get a chance, dismount the unit and shine a flashlight at the mount screw holes. See if the light comes in...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably tightened down with long(er) screws and then dropped at some point.

Quoted:
View Quote

Hrm, a little surprised at this. I always assumed (and we all know what that means...) that aimpoint CS was no-questions/keep the customer happy type. If anything, they might want it back to autopsy it from a design perspective. Are they on the forum? can we @ them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hrm, a little surprised at this. I always assumed (and we all know what that means...) that aimpoint CS was no-questions/keep the customer happy type. If anything, they might want it back to autopsy it from a design perspective. Are they on the forum? can we @ them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have an Industry Forum here, all by stagnant.

OP has already reached out though. Doubt that another will say otherwise at AP.

Can't expect them to replace a damaged optic due to user error IMO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They have an Industry Forum here, all by stagnant.

OP has already reached out though. Doubt that another will say otherwise at AP.

Can't expect them to replace a damaged optic due to user error IMO.
View Quote

yeah I asked once im not gonna push it. My fault for not inspecting it throughly. That front lense tint makes it hard to see the guts. The H1 came with the LRP mount with the spacer. My guess is the original owner took out the spacer and used the longer screws.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
There has been plenty cases reported here were they said they cannot help because of a user error. Mostly in reference to stripped H1s and T1s. From what I understand this is one reason why they moved to helicoils in the T2/H2 series.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, I have an Aimpoint Comp M4s that I got a really good good deal on years ago from Amazon Warehouse.  I looked at it quick and everything seemed good, turned in on check, and then took the battery out and put it in the scope bin.  Fast forward to a few months ago, I took it out and was mating it to a magnifier for a buddy to use and noticed that the rear of the scope had a "flat" part on one side that is clearly damaged from a drop or something. Someone obviously swapped it out for a new one and sent it back after they f'd it up.  It works fine and I use it on a beater so I will accept it but live and learn.  Now I look real close at everything I buy when I first get it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top