Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 1:33:41 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a LPVO or a Prism scope for my AR-10, but with so many options it's hard to choose (except ones with a "Made in China" label. Prefer to avoid them).

What do you folks use and what is your experience with it?
Reasons for choosing that particular optic?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Optics aren't chosen for the weapon but for the application of the weapon.

What is your planned use?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree.

That said, I like the Bushnell SMRS on sale at eurooptic. I put one on my SCAR 17 and now I'm thinking about buying another.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Planned use for the rifle would be something of a DMR that would reach out to 600 yards at minimum.

So while I think a 1-4 would be okay, I'd prefer a 1-6 or 1-8 for the extra magnification.

Also I forgot to ask, but how are the reticles for your scopes working out for you?
Pro, cons, anything?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a 1-8 ffp Trijicon Accupower red MOA on my Colt MARC 901. I use this is 3gun heavy division. I use the same optic on my 18in Noveske barreled hodge podge rifle for tac ops. The reticle on 1x is bright and is an eotech style circle dot so it draws my eye and is fast. When I crank it to 6x or 8x I have my MOA hash marks for shooting out to distance. I have shot to 400 quite regularly. Trijicon re branded the Accupower to the Credo and Credo HX line. The HX is MOA and has less of matte finish, not shiny or anything but not as matte as the credo line. On the 1-8 they redesigned the reticle to have a hollow crosshair with a dot for a more precise aiming point. People complained the center crosshair of the Accupower was too big, I zero at 50 for both 308 and 223 and never had problems. But they offer a 1-6 credo that is ffp and a SFP with a 223 BDC. If you dabble in FFP get red DO NOT get green. Green is behind in les technology and in general FFP are not as bright as the SFP. I have gotten to play around with the SFP credo and the glass is great and it is bright. Forgiving eyebox. I have the vcog 1-8 which is an awesome optic but expensive, it shares the redesigned reticle and I like it. I will say that the MRAD center of the VCOG is smaller than my MOA Accupower when you see it on 1x.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
For your application

1-6x24 ACSS From primary arms.

1-8 gets too dim at 7-8x to be useful in waining light.

I feel the ACSS family of reticles are the best design.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Planned use for the rifle would be something of a DMR that would reach out to 600 yards at minimum.

So while I think a 1-4 would be okay, I'd prefer a 1-6 or 1-8 for the extra magnification.

Also I forgot to ask, but how are the reticles for your scopes working out for you?
Pro, cons, anything?
View Quote

If you wanna reach 600 and beyond you are going to want at least 15x on the top.  If you wish to maintain CQ ops, add an offset RDS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My choice for a DMR would have more magnification. My SPR has a FFP 3-12x. My SCAR 20S has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44  with the G3 reticle.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushnell-elite-tactical-lrts-4-5-18x44mm-flat-dark-earth-ffp-g3/c32f12e0-363b-0138-8be7-00163ecd2826?variation=2153237
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I use this.

For this.
Attachment Attached File

The Griffin reticle is cool. Once I get some more time with the gun, find what ammo it likes, I will make a dope card and tape it to the stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. I have 2 ar type rifles. One of them is a 16” and wears a lpvo and the other one is a 13.7 and wears an aimpoint and backup irons.

If I had a 308 gun, it would have a lpvo at a minimum but with my other guns it would probably have a scope with more magnification than a lpvo can offer to take advantage of the superior long range ballistics of the 308
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
For hunting I have tried a lot of optics and always go back to 3-9x40

For other more personal uses and DMR type of uses I use a 1-6.

If I was as planning on reaching out it would be 4-14x44. I don’t have that in my personal uses.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried these scopes?
https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-raptor-m2-5.56-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-griffin-mil-reticle

It's not a LVPO but it kinda peaked my interest.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree.

That said, I like the Bushnell SMRS on sale at eurooptic. I put one on my SCAR 17 and now I'm thinking about buying another.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20201216_215514_1__jpeg-1746060.JPG
View Quote
I have three Bushnell Mark AR scopes and I like them a lot.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For your application

1-6x24 ACSS From primary arms.

1-8 gets too dim at 7-8x to be useful in waining light.

I feel the ACSS family of reticles are the best design.
View Quote
He said non chinesium
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Piqued your interest.   I guess it could peak it as well though.

I was going to suggest that mag range as I have the Weaver 2-10 on my 16" 308.

I don't plan on using mine for any 1x defensive purposes, the 36mm objective helps for low light hunting, and the 10x is nice for 400m steel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
LPVOs and prism scopes both have the same restrictions with eye relief and an eyebox.  The difference is that one optic (LPVO) has variable power magnification, and the other (prism) does not.  At that point, you have to consider whether it’s actually worth your time to even bother with a prism scope when there are so many quality LPVO options on the market that do a better job.  At least that’s my opinion on the matter, and why I run LPVOs.  

I have used Trijicon, Leupold, NightForce, Kahles, and a myriad of other LPVOs, and I’ve also run prism scopes ranging from the garbage Leupold Prismatic 1x to the Trijicon ACOG TA01 4x32 I carried in Iraq on an M16A2.  I’ve also tried options like the Leupold HAMR and other optic styles like the Elcan SpectreDR.  Prismatic scopes served a purpose once, but now they’re obsolete with all the LPVO options in every price/quality category.

For the LPVO, I also don’t buy Chinesium scopes.  The LPVO needs to have daylight bright illumination (RDS bright, or pretty close to it).  After that, the glass comes second, then magnification, then everything else.  I don’t care who makes the scope- if I can’t use the illumination in broad daylight with bright sunlight, I don’t want it and I won’t use it.

The best LPVO I’ve owned is the Kahles K16i 1-6x.  
The best LPVO I’ve ever tried is the Vortex Razor HD Gen3 1-10x.
The best LPVO for the money is the Trijicon TR24 AccuPoint 1-4x
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate 1-8's on 8X unless supported (bipod or bench).

A 1-8x24 will have 3mm of exit pupil. That's smaller than looking through a straw. An ACOG on the other hand will always have almost three times that, but at the cost of magnification. Not to mention the eye relief of an ACOG might feel a bit claustrophobic on a 308.

I prefer LPVO's but I won't touch anything with a 24mm objective over 6X. I actually prefer 4X on the high end if it's SFP with BDC. Good glass and eye box is more important to me at LPVO distances than an extra 2X.

And I'll definitely mirror the above about daytime illumination. I never used to think it was important until I actually timed myself on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-raptor-m2-5.56-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-griffin-mil-reticle

View Quote

Mr. Guns and gear had a neat youtube video reviewing them. I tend to trust his opinions on optics and they look pretty interesting. I may get one to look at.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Raptor on it’s way for a DMR rifle. I do have the same scope in 4-16 with a R Grid reticle on my Grendel and really like it. The glass is real good for the price, has a excellent zero stop and the locking turrets are first class, the turrets use steel gears instead of brass or aluminum . Reticles are kind of a personal thing but the R Grid reticle works well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
This past weekend I purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 for $699.99 at a local shop and it has all the features I ever wanted in a long range optic. Excellent reticle, locking turrets, zero stop, 25 moa per revolution, 110 moa max elevation (55 moa from center), large turrets, 34mm tube, included throw lever, sun shade, illuminated reticle and perpetual warranty. It's overall length is 14.6" without sunshade. With sunshade is a bit over 17".

I'm mounting this to a 18" 308 MEGA monolithic build. It's a heavy build 12# bare with no magazine or optic. It's essentially a bench shooter so I really don't care about weight or the size of the optic.

Nothing wrong with a LPVO, but I prefer higher magnification especially for a rifle that's intended to shoot at relatively longer ranges.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Any one with experience with the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24?
Seem to be recommended by a lot of people.
VMR-2 MRAD or VMR-2 MOA reticle?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top