Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2020 9:09:20 PM EDT
I have only flip-up sights on my AR.  I'm considering a red-dot but don't have a lot to spend.  There are an awful lot of (probably awful) red dot sights I see online.  Are any of them any good? Is there any hope for an under $100 sight?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend $100-120 on the Romeo5 at that price point.  That's the range those run on sale.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Snag something on the EE, everyone is always upgrading.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig
Primary Arms
Holosun
Vortex

All produce great quality red dots at ~$100. Find your best combination of features and badda bing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primary Arms micro and Bushnell TRS-25 are both solid starters and >$100.
View Quote
I have to agree. I own/use both. They are hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can go a little over that, PSA has the Strikefire II on sale for 129 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one that prefers a good set of irons over a $100 optic?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
A front sight post (depending on the distance to your eye) can be anywhere from 8moa on up.  I prefer a 2moa red dot.

OP consider going with a detachable carry handle rear sight, and a red dot that mounts the carry handle hole.  You'll be able to use the red dot and your irons.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Irons suck compared to the Romeo5.

Watch Ebay, you can probably get a new Romeo5 for right at $100.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I have currently mounted on various rifles Aimpoint Comp M2, Aimpoint Pro, PA micro, TRS25 and Romeo 5.

In the $100-130 range the Romeo 5 is my favorite - simply for the push button controls, Motac feature and battery life.  It lives on a .300 BO pistol and seems to be plenty rugged enough for a truck / ranch / critter gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all for the great suggestions on the ~$100 price but nothing in the sub-$100 price.  These are all good options and I can afford them.  I'm still trying to get experienced-based feedback on the $50, $60, $70, $80, $90, etc., China optics I find on Amazon, eBay, etc.

I can afford more expensive optics.  And I know the generic arguments will be "how much is your family worth?" or "you get what you pay for" or "you only have to buy quality once", etc., but still, I have seen some good reviews on cheap optics on youtube.  These  two examples are actually around 30 dollars but that's purely coincidental to my objective; I'm  interested in anything under $100.

Ultimately, what I want to learn is do I really need to spend $120, $200, or $400, and if so, why not  $800, or $1000?

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Primary Arms is around $130 and is the cheapest that I will buy. I will only use them on "fun guns", never on a self-defense rifle.

Buy a Aimpoint PRO for self-defense. I judge red dot sights based on battery life and Primary Arms latest models are very good in that department. Aimpoints are amazing.

There is nothing wrong with going cheap if that's all you can afford at the moment. Once you can upgrade the cheap (Primary Arms) RDS can get moved to a .22 or a shotgun. I purchase firearms and accessories with the knowledge that my life or the life of a loved one may hang in the balance someday. Going cheap doesn't make any sense from that point of view.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
You got a lot of good suggestions here and no, your not going to find anyone serious about shooting running a $30 red dot thinking it's going to last or hold zero.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, there’s a collective shit-ton of experience here.  You opened the thread with a legit question and then start to back into BS.

Take the collective, actual hands-on experience with RDS in the $60-$120 buck range or drop $30 bucks on a turd and try ‘em yourself.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#19]
you can’t even get a decent mount for $50.

What are you smoking tonight?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the AT3 RD50.  2moa dot, on Amazon w/ riser for $80-90.  Long battery life, visible in bright sunlight on level 8 (and it goes all the way to 11!).  Lifetime warranty.

I have one, and a TRS-25.  Ordering another dot in a few days (after bills all clear the account) and it will be another RD50.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't go any lower than the TRS-25 or the PA sight already posted.

I also would recommend stepping up to the Romeo5 or the PA Advanced Micro.  I have both.  They are worth the difference in price.  I don't have any illusions about them being as durable or reliable as my Aimpoint, but they are very close in glass and dot quality.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you can’t even get a decent mount for $50.

What are you smoking tonight?
View Quote
G during holiday sales?

Came out to like $60 during BF.

Also the UTG ones are decent enough compared to Holosun oem mounts.

ADM lower 1/3 seem to go cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get the AT3 RD50.  2moa dot, on Amazon w/ riser for $80-90.  Long battery life, visible in bright sunlight on level 8 (and it goes all the way to 11!).  Lifetime warranty.

I have one, and a TRS-25.  Ordering another dot in a few days (after bills all clear the account) and it will be another RD50.
View Quote
It's basically a modernized trs25
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Primary Arms micro and Bushnell TRS-25 are both solid starters and >$100.
View Quote
I have a little TRS-25 probable 7-8 years old now.  It is just used on range toy type applications, but it seems indestructible..  I’ve run it on ARs, tactical shotguns with full power 00B and slugs, all sorts of stuff.  It just keeps chugging along.  I keep thinking someday it will break.  It hasn’t.

Nothing fancy.  Completely manual operation with a big round switch.

Nothing compares at its price point.  Only downside is that it eats batteries if you forget to turn it off, but batteries are the most common coin battery.

Be sure to get the version with the riser if you are using it on an AR.  I think they call it HiRise.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the great discussion - a couple smart-alecs aside, there are a lot of helpful posts.

Definitely a couple good options in the sub-100 range.  As someone alluded to, they wouldn't use those for self-defense, though.  So, back to my question - because my family actually is worth more than $30 to me so I will definitely consider some of those discussed but just how much should I have to spend to get a good optic for self-defense without just throwing money away?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I trust Primary Arms/Holosun no problem.

Sending you a PM
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I have no problem trusting the Bushnell TRS-25 or Primary Arms Micro for SD/HD. I doubt that I would use either in combat but around the house they are fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great discussion - a couple smart-alecs aside, there are a lot of helpful posts.

Definitely a couple good options in the sub-100 range.  As someone alluded to, they wouldn't use those for self-defense, though.  So, back to my question - because my family actually is worth more than $30 to me so I will definitely consider some of those discussed but just how much should I have to spend to get a good optic for self-defense without just throwing money away?
View Quote
All of my dotted guns except a target 22 pistol are equipped with irons.  I use the dot to help my aging eyes find the irons and to substitute for finding them at all at close range.

I've seen $10 optics live (and fail) and I've seen $500 scopes die on gently treated target 22 rigs.... and unless given no choice I wouldn't grab anything I didn't trust in an emergency.

If I needed to grab something RIGHT NOW it would be the AR9 PCC, it has fixed irons and the AT3 RD50 dot I mentioned upthread.  Should the dot fail the irons work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quality optics are ~$700.
Budget optics are 1/7 that price.

If you think $100 is too high, idk what to tell you. A good budget optic is the best Chinese manufacturing has to offer; not sure why you’d pass on it and go for a lesser Chinese optic.

A Bushnell TRS-25 is the absolute least, rock-bottom price for a red dot with a solid reputation. After that, you might as well head to the airsoft section of your local Walmart and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Also at AIM....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
OP I’d use a PA or Sig Romeo red dot for self defense any day. One man’s opinion here but you’ll be fine.

Hell wasn't it Henderson Defense that is STILL using a PA microdot/holosun on their 249? Talk about round count....
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are looking for experience, I have a 42mm Tasco (chinese) red dot that survived a lot of .357 mag on a Marlin.  I bought it thirteen years ago.  It is now mounted on my first AR, a Ruger.  The AR with .223 Rem is claimed to recoil less than the 357 Marlin, which my shoulder says is accurate.  It works and has survived but do I expect it to live forever?  Not likely.  But the rifle has irons on it just in case.  Which I prefer.  But the red dot is pretty darn easy to use.  I will leave the Tasco on the AR for my wife to become accustomed to using the AR.  Mostly because she is an ace with a Marlin lever action with semi-buckhorn and bead sights but just can't get the hang of a peep sight.  Which is the only option it seems for a picatinny rail.

Regardless of the Tasco's survival I would prefer to get something I feel would be more durable at some point.  The Sig Romeo looks like a good one but I might be tempted to try the $65-$80 range red dots that were listed above.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you are looking for experience, I have a 42mm Tasco (chinese) red dot that survived a lot of .357 mag on a Marlin.  I bought it thirteen years ago.  It is now mounted on my first AR, a Ruger.  The AR with .223 Rem is claimed to recoil less than the 357 Marlin, which my shoulder says is accurate.  It works and has survived but do I expect it to live forever?  Not likely.  But the rifle has irons on it just in case.  Which I prefer.  But the red dot is pretty darn easy to use.  I will leave the Tasco on the AR for my wife to become accustomed to using the AR.  Mostly because she is an ace with a Marlin lever action with semi-buckhorn and bead sights but just can't get the hang of a peep sight.  Which is the only option it seems for a picatinny rail.

Regardless of the Tasco's survival I would prefer to get something I feel would be more durable at some point.  The Sig Romeo looks like a good one but I might be tempted to try the $65-$80 range red dots that were listed above.
View Quote
I ran a Tasco Pro Point for years on my Rem M1100 for coyote, held zero and chugged along. Eventually 2 dot positions burned out and I ditched it for a PA. Think I had it ~ 9 seasons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for the Primary Arms dot sights. Have been using them for 8-10 years or so on a variety of different guns to include AR9, AR15, AK47, They are all still running just fine. No problems of any sort. No hesitation in using them for SD/HD either. IF I WERE IN A WAR ZONE, I would want something like an Acog or other Mil. approved optic. until then my PA's are doing fine.

ETA: I do also have one of the Fieldsport red dots from Amazon that I bought on a whim from a thread here on arfcom. It has been running along just fine for a couple of years on an AR9 with no problems at all. I'm pleased it has lasted as well as it has, but I'm under no illusions that one day it won't turn on. Until then blast away. And then replace it with another PA!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ETA: I do also have one of the Fieldsport red dots from Amazon that I bought on a whim from a thread here on arfcom. It has been running along just fine for a couple of years on an AR9 with no problems at all. I'm pleased it has lasted as well as it has, but I'm under no illusions that one day it won't turn on. Until then blast away. And then replace it with another PA!
View Quote
Your luck is better than mine. Killed 2 of them bastards. I had high hopes after reading the thread. Even performed the battery contact fix on 1.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top