Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2018 6:37:16 PM EDT
I just got a spitfire AR and something seems off. It definitely has negative magnification no matter how the focus is set. The negative maginification is significant and I can’t imagine it being usable.

Do I have a defective unit?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got a spitfire AR and something seems off. It definitely has negative magnification no matter how the focus is set. The negative maginification is significant and I can’t imagine it being usable.

View Quote

To be clear, by negative magnification, do you mean that objects viewed through the scope appear further away than when not viewed through the scope no matter how far to either extreme you adjust the diopter?

Are you adjusting the optic with both eyes open, passing the optic's view in front of your eyes as you adjust the diopter?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to be a wise guy, but possibly turn it around ?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to be a wise guy, but possibly turn it around ?
View Quote
You cannot on install this model backwards.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Post your issue in the Vortex forum - they have great support and will respond quickly

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Vortex-Optics/277/
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're not the only one.  I bought a second gen Spitfire for my back up competition rifle and once its reticle was focused for my eyes, I could tell the 1x turned to -0.9x!  The first gen unit didn't have that issue.

I don't believe it is defective, just bad glass.  Haven't had time to pull it off my back up rifle to send it in.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're not the only one.  I bought a second gen Spitfire for my back up competition rifle and once its reticle was focused for my eyes, I could tell the 1x turned to -0.9x!  The first gen unit didn't have that issue.

I don't believe it is defective, just bad glass.  Haven't had time to pull it off my back up rifle to send it in.
View Quote
By second gen, do you mean the Spitfire AR versus the Spitfire 1x DRT NON-AR?

I have Spitfire 1x DRTs (4 actually, of the the NON-AR rotory illumination not pushbutton version, model 1301) and do not have this issue with any of them.

Or are there multiple generations of the Spitfire AR?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the message.  I've replied. I would be interested to find out too because the old version (with 2-piece riser) was comparable to my Leupold Prismatic after the diopter was adjusted to my eye (-5.75), both presented 'flat' image without any pos/neg magnification.  I needed one more 1x prism type for a different rifle, got the 1X-AR and it wasn't the same as the first unit (a few years older).
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've noticed this with mine. It's not drastic, but it's definitely present.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I may send it in and see what you all think.

I’ve let a few other people look through it and they all say the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine too. Thing just seem smaller looking thru it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I suspect people are not adjusting the diopter AND shooting with both eyes open. Instead doing one or the other with only one eye open and wondering why things are looking wonky.

I just tried this theory this morning and can replicate the 'problem' on my Spitfire 1x DRTs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got my PA cyclops in and wow, it’s better. It seems like a true 1x and I’m not getting the weird distortion. I think I’m going to send my vortex back and see what’s wrong.

The reticle is also much much more simple and less cluttered.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top