Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2018 1:40:39 PM EDT
I’m not sure what I did wrong, or if I’m a dumbass.

My dad bought a new 2012 vintage 6920 and topped it with a Colt carry handle from Arms Unlimited Attachment Attached File

Ammo was Hornady Frontier m193 and hand loads using a Hornady 55gr bullet with 25.0gr of Benchmark.

I bottomed out the rear sight and adjusted it to the closest detent.  Initial zero was at 25yds using the front sight for elevation changes.

Backing up to 100 yards, it was shooting as high as you would expect.  Although not bad for irons and 60 year old eyes.
Attachment Attached File

The headache started when I tried to lower the point of impact.  
The rear sight was already as low as it would go.  And the front sight is now barely below the ears of the housing.  The carry handle is a 6/3.  Which should be correct for a carbine.

Attachment Attached File

Major struggle to get it adjusted to where these two groups ended up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have any difficulty with windage adjustment?  If the front sight is canted, it will lower the front sight post, making it shoot high, but it would also require a lot of windage adjustment to bring it in line.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Your front sight should have an "F" mark on it.

Check the carry handle for markings. Colt will have a forge code. USA manufactured will have a forge code. Made in China won't have any markings.

I think Bushmaster or DPMS makes a taller front sight post.

You can measure the rear sight base, US GI is .840", commercial handles are .800". You may need a commercial handle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your front sight should have an "F" mark on it.

Check the carry handle for markings. Colt will have a forge code. USA manufactured will have a forge code. Made in China won't have any markings.

I think Bushmaster or DPMS makes a taller front sight post.

You can measure the rear sight base, US GI is .840", commercial handles are .800". You may need a commercial handle.
View Quote
Front sight is F marked
Carry habdlenis square forge marked
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top