Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 3:59:30 PM EDT
Years ago, Midway had the "Stainless" finish Aimpoint Micro's (R-1) on sale for a steal, and I picked one up. I painted over the stainless bits, threw an I-O Cover on it, and it has lived on my go-to carbine, set on 7 or 8 brightness most of it's life. I've never shut the sight off since I've owned it. I replace the battery once a year whether it needs it or not.

Recently I adjusted the brightness while shooting, and noticed that setting 9 is now dim. There is still a dot, but it is very dim, as if it is set at the lowest setting. Setting #8 and #10 work fine, as do the rest. Replacing the battery with a fresh one did not help.

I have not contacted Aimpoint yet, and I am not sure how they will react to the sight having been painted (I'm sure they have seen it before). It should be covered under their 10 year warranty, unless they consider the paint a problem. I'll be sending them an e-mail to see what they say.

In the mean time, has anyone seen this issue with a T-1/H-1/R-1 ( or the newer -2 models) before?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Dirty contact?  I'd try "spinning" the rheostat back and forth to try to clear the gunk off.  Works on other knobs I've dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
With such low voltage/current now that you mention it I am surprised there isn't more issue with oxidation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I did spin the dial a few times, with no discernible change in the dot brightness at 9... I might give it a few more twirls and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I had something similar happen (three settings were the same brightness level) on a T1 that I bought second hand. Aimpoint fixed it no problem. 
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Any luck on getting your Aimpoint working ? Just found out mine only shows a dot on setting 11 or 12. New battery, same issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Not normal.  Let us know what you find
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Received my Aimpoint back today. Shipped it out on 10/6, so just at a month.  Paperworks says "replaced board".  No other details. 

Works like new now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting AP takes care of their customers
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Suprised to see a broken aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had something similar happen (three settings were the same brightness level) on a T1 that I bought second hand. Aimpoint fixed it no problem. 
View Quote
Similar experience though aim point took forever to answer
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top