Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 11:50:40 PM EDT
I have problems with GG&G, it doesn't stay locked. Not sure I am interested in any Larue, I understand the quality is there but the lowest one is not low enough for my taste.
Bobro?

Any other options? I don't care about cowitness.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The OEM Aimpoint LRP mount is a solid choice. The lever side does stick out a bit (not as much as the QRP knob, though) but the whole mount is reversible and can be flipped to the opposite side; when doing so, it is extremely low profile.

You might also consider the Scalarworks mount, which is probably the lowest profile on the market.

I'd take both of those over the Bobro, which is not very low profile and some have reported problems with those mounts. In fact, I do have the LRP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This is my current GG&G mount on a MechTech upper. The MechTech knows their rail is out of spec, will eventually come up with a redesign, they said and  GG&G is not level on it and actually shifts. Until they change the rail design, I need a mount that will fit it. A mount that grabs both sides of the rail versus just one like GG&G. You can see on the pic the left side of the mount is straight.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about Scalarworks mount, the thing about 1.5 oz weight worries me, I want something more solid. The Aimpoint mount looks good. I can only wonder why it's not more popular.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thoughts about ADM low profile mount vs Aimpoint LPR?

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/588/
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure about Scalarworks mount, the thing about 1.5 oz weight worries me, I want something more solid. The Aimpoint mount looks good. I can only wonder why it's not more popular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my opinion, the light weight of the Scarlarworks mount is offset by the use of 7075 aluminum. Most other mounts use 6061.

I think the LRP mounts are less popular because (a) most Aimpoints come with a mount (at least in the 30mm tube variety) so some people may not see the point in spending additional money that they don't need to and (b) they are kind of pricey for what they are, so people opt to spend those funds on something they perceive to be "fancier" or more elegant.

Quoted:
Thoughts about ADM low profile mount vs Aimpoint LPR?

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/588/

The ADM mounts are a decent choice. They use 6061 aluminum if I recall, but that really shouldn't be a problem. I have an ADM mount for an Atlas bipod that is on my SCAR. The SCAR's 1913 rail is a little larger than that on my Colt-based guns, and it accommodates this difference better than the LaRue that it replaced.

Given what you posted above, the ADM may be better able to handle such an out-of-spec rail since the width can be adjusted manually. The LRP might be able to open enough to accommodate it, but I can't be sure. I think most QD mounts will have difficulty on a rail that out of spec (I couldn't imagine a LaRue being able to accommodate that width). Judging by the Scalarworks videos/pics I have seen, it should be able to open wide enough for that rail, but I have never used one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Good idea.

Can you tell visually what's out of spec with it?
I know it's out of spec but cannot figure out if it's the height, the depth of the rails or the width. I just know the GG&G Accucam fits on all other rails I have but not on the MechTech rail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks to be too wide overall. Now that I look at it more closely, I'm not sure any mount will fit that. Even if a mount was able to get around the widest lateral parts of the rail, it's not clear that the base (or, underside of the mount) would sit fully flush against the top rail.

To see this, you could measure the length of the flat side of the top rail. If it's wider than the same distance on the underside of the mount, then you will certainly have a vertical gap between the top of the rail and the bottom of the mount.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Scalarworks also.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy BUIS fit nicely..
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You know you can widen the "grip" on the GGG by unscrewing the locking screw a turn or two, right?

It has a lot of range, actually.

If it doesn't fit, I don't see why anything else would.  GGG is top notch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
How about Midwest Industries?

Link
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If I remove the opitic from the mount, the GG&G mount fits.  With the optic, it does not fit at any setting. I think the problem is the clearance of the screws that bolt the optic itself to the mount. The screws - their heads stick out at the bottom and that's why the mount does not fit flush.

I thought about grinding down the screws somehow but that's not a solution either.

The screws are part of the problem. The other problem is that the GG&G mount does not grip the rail on both sides. Take a look at the bottom of it, or sideways, in the pic. One edge kind of comes down straight, only the other side grips the side of the rail. A flawed design. I am not aware of anyone else using that design. Larue for example grips on both sides. I just installed Troy sights, they fit nicely.

So the screw sticking out is a problem apparently when it's compounded by the fact that only one side grips it kind of under the rail.  The problem is a combination of the rail out of spec, the bolts  sticking out of the bottom in the GG&G mount and one of its sides not gripping the rail fully.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about Midwest Industries?

Link
View Quote

And:

http://www.primaryarms.com/midwest-industries-qd-mount-for-aimpoint-pro-and-compm4-mi-qdapm

There is a cool link on that, I am reviewing it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/678317_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Midwest-Industries-New-Optic-Mounts.html&page=2
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Any pics of the midwest industries M4  mount, from the bottom? I want to see the area that grips the rail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any pics of the midwest industries M4  mount, from the bottom? I want to see the area that grips the rail.
View Quote

I have one on my H1 Micro. I can snap a pic later. 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I can see the side opposite of the lever grips it well, what I cannot see is the side where the lever is. I assume it's like Larue and the lever locks it but wanted to be certain.

Truth be told, I don't see a  mechanical  difference between ADM and MI or even Larue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#17]

I figured out what the problem was and I resolved it. The thing that was out of specs was not the width as I previously thought or even the depth, but the spacing of the rails. The two screws would not fit in. I had to grind down the area where the screws hit the surface of the rail (instead of neatly going in between the rails as they do with other rails I have) and the mount fit nicely.

GG&G Accucam is not a bad mount, I don't really see what disadvantages it has over other mounts and I decided not to trade it for another mount that may or may not work with this rail - and I may end up grinding the rail anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad you got it figured out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
MechTech told me they will eventually update their out of spec rail but did not have an ETA on it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top