Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 3:54:46 PM EDT
Ok,
I also posted this in the precision rifles forum, so if you read it there you can just move on.  So I need an affordable scope for my SPR-ish/3-gun build (18" WOA barrel). I currently only have access to a 200 yard range. This will be primarily for casual target shooting with the possibility of shooting 3-gun (if I ever get the time, etc.). I'm limited to Amazon as I have a $200 gift card there. So, I figure add another $200 and I can get something pretty nice (yes I know "pretty nice" is all relative). I do want a 30mm tube though. So, I'm thinking.....

Burris 4.5-14 MTAC
Vortex Viper PST 1-4
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16
Vortex HS 2.5-10x44

Other recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a little out of your budget but I'd throw in a little bit more and get the Burris XTRII 1-5x, especially if you want to 3gun.
Otherwise, the Burris MTAC is good in your price range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok,
I also posted this in the precision rifles forum, so if you read it there you can just move on.  So I need an affordable scope for my SPR-ish/3-gun build (18" WOA barrel). I currently only have access to a 200 yard range. This will be primarily for casual target shooting with the possibility of shooting 3-gun (if I ever get the time, etc.). I'm limited to Amazon as I have a $200 gift card there. So, I figure add another $200 and I can get something pretty nice (yes I know "pretty nice" is all relative). I do want a 30mm tube though. So, I'm thinking.....

Burris 4.5-14 MTAC
Vortex Viper PST 1-4
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16
Vortex HS 2.5-10x44

Other recommendations?
View Quote

I'd wait for the Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle to come out this summer.

Vortex designed this scope for entry level 3 gun
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Also how's the Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6 with illum. Ger #4 reticle?

AFter researching it, the dot's too big
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Leupold vxr patrol
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leupold vxr patrol
View Quote

I agree, and realy like mine.  But these are not $400 scopes.  Typically between $550 and $600.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I can "massage" the number a little bit.  Is the patrol of a higher quality than the Vortex PST 1-4? What of the 4-16 HST?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I can "massage" the number a little bit.  Is the patrol of a higher quality than the Vortex PST 1-4? What of the 4-16 HST?
View Quote

The VXR patrol has good glass and pretty great features like auto on/ auto off and a compact  light package with daylight bright illumination. Its a solid choice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Virtually identical to the Leupold VX-R Patrol, yet costing less, is the new, award-winning (awarded NRA's 2015 Optic of the Year) Mark AR MOD-1.  Available In 1.5-4x22mm  and 3-9x40mm versions, this scope has the daylight-bright FireDot illumination with the Motion Sensor Technology, the tactical reticle, great eye relief, and weighs less than 12.5 ozs.  I got my Mark AR MOD-1 1.5-4x20mm for $379 and my Mark AR MOD-1 3-9x40mm for $429.  Check it out at http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The leupold is better as an all around fast type spr. The vortex is better at being more precise shots but will be a little slower. Both excel at being affordable "do all" type optic and are the two best choices in there class\price range IMHO.

Decide what features are more important, neither is perfect but both have some great features. The glass, build quality, warrantee, etc. Will be pretty much the same. Both are well regarded. A nightforce nxs 1-4, trijicon, etc. will be better.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Virtually identical to the Leupold VX-R Patrol, yet costing less, is the new, award-winning (awarded NRA's 2015 Optic of the Year) Mark AR MOD-1.  Available In 1.5-4x22mm  and 3-9x40mm versions, this scope has the daylight-bright FireDot illumination with the Motion Sensor Technology, the tactical reticle, great eye relief, and weighs less than 12.5 ozs.  I got my Mark AR MOD-1 1.5-4x20mm for $379 and my Mark AR MOD-1 3-9x40mm for $429.  Check it out at http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/
View Quote

The Mark AR is a good value.  But, it does not have the glass quality of the VX-R.  Not even close.  There is a reason for the $150 or so difference in price.  Think VX-1 glass versus approximately VX-3.  It is also one inch tube versus 30mm, the latter being quite a bit stronger, but a couple ounces heavier.  The Mark AR, however, is one of the best illuminated low power tactical scopes for under $450.  I have a Patrol and have compared them closely before purchasing.  If you use the scope only in good light you may not notice the difference, but in low light conditions the VX-R glass is demonstrably better.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top