Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 10:45:04 PM EDT
Looking to to mount my light (TLR1s) and BUIS on a HD carbine AR.  The gun has a rail height picatinny gas block.  I'd like to have the light at 12 oclock with my fixed Dan Def front sight in back of it.  Here's my question.  With an Aimpoint Comp as the primary sight would mounting my BUIS to a drop in railed hand guard be a bad idea?  I'm thinking the Midwest Industries unit is what I'd get.  I've heard its quite a secure mount.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
12 oclock not 6 Duh
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You want to mount the light on the railed gas block and the BUIS front sight on the drop-in handguard?

I'm sure it can be done and potentially quite secure, but you ideally want to keep the front sight as far front as you can. On occasion the handguard can move especially if you run some type of VFG.  For plinking, you'd be fine I assume.  Also, what type of light is it?  Will the front sight restrict easy access to the light switch?

IMHO, find a different configuration.  Light at 3-6-9 on the handguard generally works well, but I know you already know that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You may "cook" your light if you do a few mag dumps.

Some drop-in rails are 100% solid while some move around so I would not want to attach sights on them until you know for sure how solid it is.

The free float rail moves when it gets very hot...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not a good idea but can work in some situations. Is there a reason you want a 12 o'clock position? For me the perfect location is 6 o'clock and I love the ElZetta mount that attaches to the FSB, this frees up space on the railed hand guard. Like I said it works for me, I love how easy it is to trigger the tail cap with a slight pressure on the sling swivel. I tried many positions, including 12 0'clock before I decided on this combo. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it. Generally with your sights the larger the distance between the front and rear sight provide the best sight picture.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I got the " light at 12 o'clock" notion from seeing quite a few pics of fellow members guns set up that way.  I was hoping to make the most of the small amount of real estate on the hand guard and get the light out of of the area where I grip.  I didn't think of the heat from the gas block.  I think I'll try to attach the TLR1s to my Magpul SL hand guard.  Maybe using a angled grip attachment might be helpful in my goals?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top